New Canon cameras

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, the big day is here. It's Canon announcement day and...

...no new SLR.

6 new compacts though and reports of another announcement in a couple of weeks. Is that the 60? The 1DIV? Or something else?

Interestingly, it seems the megapixel wars are over with the Powershot G11 offering less pixels than the G10 it replaces. Dropping to 10Mpx but with a noise improvement - something the G10 certainly needs

Yup. They did the same last year with the bigger announcement about 3 weeks later than the first. That was when the 5DII was launched.

As long as I can get my mits on a 1DIV by the end of the year, I'll be happy!

The only camera that would make sense to me, is a FULLY FUNCTIONAL 1D. But im sure plenty of people will have doubts whether it is possible:LOL:

Something to use while your saving up for the 1DV :)

Nope. I've been quite happy to let the MkII's see me through until now and avoided the MkIII's but now is the time to change as I want better low light performance and I've got 3 weeks away doing wildlife stuff in Jan-Feb 2010. Therefore, a new camera for then will make a big difference.

The only camera that would make sense to me, is a FULLY FUNCTIONAL 1D. But im sure plenty of people will have doubts whether it is possible:LOL:

It's entirely possible. It's called a 1DII! Have to say I've seen some awesome results from 1DIII/1DsIII so I think they're pretty sound now. But, the increase in performance over the MkII wasn't enough for me to justify changing.

The long term plan now is to keep the 1DsII as my "landscape and general" camera and pair it with a 1DIV for the tougher stuff.

All the info on the new cameras is on www.dpreview.com.

Personally, I really like the look of the S90. f/2 at the wide end of the zoom (28mm), less MP with a larger than usual sensor, IS, RAW, and high ISO in a form factor smaller than the G series. If the noise at high ISO is at least acceptable I'll likely snag one of these to replace my G9 for use it on nights out.

The G11 is along the same lines; bigger sensor but less MP and less noise at high ISO but with a few more bells and whistles than the G series. Think the LX3 is eating into some potential profit for Canon so they're reacting with these cameras. No bad thing at all, in my opinion!

George.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovers_Andy
roll on a 1DIV i'll be able to pick up a 2nd MKIII a lot cheaper
But why would you want 2 cameras that dont work as they should

:LOL: :razz:

Not had a problem with my MKIII (yet) :D

Hopefully a mK4 will ahve the quality of the mk3 and reliability (keeper rate) of the mk2

that is a lot of wishful thinking!!!

In seriousness though, the mk4 needs to be right. Even if it means a 6 month delay.

I have to admit I'm pretty excited about the concept of the 1D MK IV but I will definitely be sitting back for 3-6 months to see what issues arise. If its anything like the MK III fiasco then I may well be considering switching to Nikon otherwise I'm stuck with tech that is approaching 3+ years old; not a bad thing in itself because it works fine but I've had itchy fingers ever since I used a D3 for the weekend.

So I'm hoping the 1D IV (if its coming out) will restore my faith in the Canon brand.

I have to admit I'm pretty excited about the concept of the 1D MK IV but I will definitely be sitting back for 3-6 months to see what issues arise. If its anything like the MK III fiasco then I may well be considering switching to Nikon otherwise I'm stuck with tech that is approaching 3+ years old; not a bad thing in itself because it works fine but I've had itchy fingers ever since I used a D3 for the weekend.

So I hoping the 1D IV (if its coming out) will restore my faith in the Canon brand.

Yup, that about sums it up. Although I still don't really want to sell my 500/4 to get a Nikon one for more money! The 1DIV will be good!

If not then its time for :sulk::dummy:

Canon really cant afford it not to be good, they will end up in the no3 slot if it isnt

Darn. How quickly will models become available after an anouncement?
I want to get a 50d. But if there is a chance of a 50d with better ISO handling and video, that would be better for me. Darn them.

the 50d isnt even 6 months old yet is it??

Realistically, I think normally about 6-8 weeks after delivery for them to start shipping in full volume. Nikon are normally a bit quicker. Prices will always be high at launch. On the D300s, people seem to be offering extra rather than discounting and that is likely to be the way with new Canons for the first couple of months of availability.

Not so worried about a new body as a new lens(es). A 100-400mm upgrade (f4) would be nice or something to comp... with the Nikon 200-400mm f4 would really tick all the right boxes. Tired of seeing these pointless lens releases from canon 800mm f5.6, 200mm f2, they really need to get their finger out and provide something to really too write home about.

A 100-400 f/4 wouldn't be an upgrade to the current 100-400 as it is likely to cost £4000 - see the Nikon. I think a 100/150/200-400 f/4 IS would be a cracking lens and I would certainly want one. It's the lens that makes me keep wanting to jump to Nikon.

However, I do think describing the 800 and 200/2 as pointless is a bit daft. You may not need/want them but it doesn't make them pointless. Both are superlative lenses. The results that Arthur Morris has got with the 800 are truly stunning and, if money was no object, I would have one to go alongside my 500/4. The 200/2 is also a stunning lens and is a long needed replacement for the great 200/1.8 that still commands a high price today.

Since the 400 DO doesn't really sell well, they could slot in an n-400 f/4 zoom into the range between the 300/2.8 and the 500/4 that would probably sell very well. However, I'd love to know how many Nikon 200-400 shots are taken at 400 and how many elsewhere in the range.

No problem here either. its been a superb camera.:D

I didn't have a problem until I sent it back for the fix which it probably didn't really need. Two weeks after it had to go back again for err99 problems. Fine again now, if anything even better than it was :)

Or $499. ever feel unwanted.

Originally Posted by grumpybadger

Since the 400 DO doesn't really sell well, they could slot in an n-400 f/4 zoom into the range between the 300/2.8 and the 500/4 that would probably sell very well. However, I'd love to know how many Nikon 200-400 shots are taken at 400 and how many elsewhere in the range.

That could work :D 400mm f4, still like the idea of a canon 200-400mm f4 though :LOL:

If there is a 7D i really hope it's a 1.6 crop camera with 1D level or near AF.
I've kind of lost my faith in Canon actually providing what people want though :(

I still don't know what they were thinking with not upgrading the 5dmk2 AF in any way.

I have to admit to reading the rumour sites.
So far, there was one post, which supplied a list of part numbers. These included those (before the fact) cameras which were announced yesterday.
Among the numbers was one for a 7d, (unfortunately no 60d)
One of the rumours was a 7d, with better AF than the 5d, but, FF 12mp.

There was talk that the 50d replacement would not be called the 60d due to Nixon using similar numbering on their cameras
Regards
Lost

Think they have already been fairly close
Nikon D40/D50 vs Canon 40D/50D?

Also Canon had a D60 before Nikon ;)

Im waiting on something between the 40D and 1Dmk3. 1.6x, 12-15mp, 8fps, 45pt AF, Iso 50-12800 (like a 50d only better lol)
Or if a new 1Ds come out ill be having a used 1dsmk2 lol

An update of the 70-200 2.8 IS wouldnt go a miss either so i can get a knock down priced old one :D

Back