New (company) car time

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
so its time to choose a new company car and they have also just added more choice to the list.... woohoo

currently got a ford focus zetec estate and the only thing i like about it, is the fact its an estate, especially having a lil family so a ford is out the question.

previously, i had the golf mk6 and was really happy with it, also had the mk5.

so i have obviously been and looked at the VW cars available which goes as:
Golf Match tdi 150ps estate with power and toys, most of the bells and whistles, cruise etc etc
or
Passat bluemotion tdi 120ps with all the space you could ever want and comfort but not a lot of toys as only basic spec

i do approx. 25k - 30k miles a year, most of which are motorway and I've reached an age (only 33) where i just cruise along rather than flying in the 3rd lane. i have never had cruise or speed limiter before until the focus and i must admit, i do really like it but is it a game changer for a different car.... not sure

so its time to choose a new company car and they have also just added more choice to the list.... woohoo

currently got a ford focus zetec estate and the only thing i like about it, is the fact its an estate, especially having a lil family so a ford is out the question.

previously, i had the golf mk6 and was really happy with it, also had the mk5.

so i have obviously been and looked at the VW cars available which goes as:
Golf Match tdi 150ps estate with power and toys, most of the bells and whistles, cruise etc etc
or
Passat bluemotion tdi 120ps with all the space you could ever want and comfort but not a lot of toys as only basic spec

i do approx. 25k - 30k miles a year, most of which are motorway and I've reached an age (only 33) where i just cruise along rather than flying in the 3rd lane. i have never had cruise or speed limiter before until the focus and i must admit, i do really like it but is it a game changer for a different car.... not sure

The Bluemotion model - can you add cruise as an option - and how much would this add to the monthly cost and would it come in under / in your limit ?

What other toys does the Golf come with that the Passat doesn't ? that you'd like / want ?

How does the Golf compare in size to your Focus - do you need anything bigger if it's the same size ?

I had the focus estate as a co car, and just changed to a Skoda Octavia estate business edition. Cracking car, 7 speed dsg gearbox, Cruise control etc. I love it

i cannot add any extras which is a bummer or i would have added t.

the golf has a lot of things, most of which i wouldn't care for haha... tinted windows, heated washer jets, cruise and adaptive cruise, driver profiles, heated seats, home lights, auto lights, front and rear parking sensors. whereas the passat is very basic with the toys but the feel is not cheap.

the golf boot is very similar to the focus but the golf is much bigger on the inside... for a bigish car, the focus is a little cramped inside.

i cannot add any extras which is a bummer or i would have added t.

the golf has a lot of things, most of which i wouldn't care for haha... tinted windows, heated washer jets, cruise and adaptive cruise, driver profiles, heated seats, home lights, auto lights, front and rear parking sensors. whereas the passat is very basic with the toys but the feel is not cheap.

the golf boot is very similar to the focus but the golf is much bigger on the inside... for a bigish car, the focus is a little cramped inside.

Fair enough, might be worth a sit in both to see which feels the nicer due to the milage you're doing, but the Cruise would make like easier, especially through all the bloody roadworks !!!

Have you though about the Skoda ? You might be able to get the best of both worlds ???

I had to go the other way - from a Golf Bluemotion to a Focus Titanium Nav. The Golf is (was) a much better put together car - no trim rattles/squeaks, suspension knocks etc even at 135K miles. The focus has had trim squeaks and rattles from day 1. Also an occasional brake squeak. German build quality shows through everywhere.

Whichever one has Bluetooth. If they both have, whichever one you feel has the most comfortable driving position if you're doing 25k plus.

I had to go the other way - from a Golf Bluemotion to a Focus Titanium Nav. The Golf is (was) a much better put together car - no trim rattles/squeaks, suspension knocks etc even at 135K miles. The focus has had trim squeaks and rattles from day 1. Also an occasional brake squeak. German build quality shows through everywhere.
My Focus doesn't have any squeaks or rattles, it's now 3yrs old. Working in Ford's research and development, I've seen Golfs completely stripped down in the workshop and various other car makes to boot, and believe me your sense of German build quality is only skin deep. Underneath they are no better than the Ford equivalent.

Also in the VAG family is the SEAT Leon Tourer FR 150PS

When mine was bought approx 18 months ago it came with the Tech Pack that consisted of LED lights and Sat Nav

Standard kit is - dual zone climate control, Bluetooth, parking sensors, low profile tyres.

IMO it was and has been a good 'drivers' car. And comfort wise I would call it "three hour drive" before needing to stretch the knots out.

If you like cruise control and spend a lot of time on the motorway with it. Buy a car with adaptive cruise control, you'll wonder how you could ever drive long distance without it!

If you like cruise control and spend a lot of time on the motorway with it. Buy a car with adaptive cruise control, you'll wonder how you could ever drive long distance without it!
Fully agree. I've got it in my Golf (and main family car as well) and it is brilliant. Especially in combination with a DSG (VW Clever automatic gearbox) in a traffic jam. Goes all the way to 0 and back up to your chosen speed by itself whilst keeping a distance that you can set.

One thing I never understood of company cars is why some organisations provide a limited choice or a list. I would not like that as it is a taxable benefit, as such I would want to choose what I want or have the cash alternative to choose what I want. For example the private contract hire of a VW Golf GT TDI if about £194 including VAT per month. If that was a company car provided vehicle that would still attract a BIK of either £79 or £160 per month. So if the private car allowance exceeds in the worst case scenario £115/month plus mileage then you'd be quids in and have a much better vehicle.

My point is, is it really worth getting a company car from a predetermined list?

PS. Sorry to potential take it off topic, just thought it could be interesting food for thought if the OP hasn't considered it themselves already.

Peugeot 308, Hyundai i40, Toyota Avensis, BMW 1, Audi A3, Merc A class

Checked again this morning, the golf in that spec is only a hatchback. I also looked at the Passat saloon but the saloon wouldn't suit our lifestyle

Ah, well this might make your decision for you then...is there other estate versions available on your list and what spec are they ?

The Avensis (which model have you the option of) if an estate is a large car, a friend has one and he really likes it, very well equipped as well.

Just done 80,000 miles in my Avensis. Nice comfortable drive, no real complaints.

What about the Nissan Qashqai? We've had a QQ+2 for the last six years as a company car (2x 3 years) and overall it's been great. Tonnes of space. If you get the N-Tec or Tekna then there's more gear than you can shake a stick at including reversing/360 camera, speed limiter/cruise.

Very good on fuel. I get 46MPG on my diesel and I'm quite heavy on the old right foot.

What about the Nissan Qashqai? We've had a QQ+2 for the last six years as a company car (2x 3 years) and overall it's been great. Tonnes of space. If you get the N-Tec or Tekna then there's more gear than you can shake a stick at including reversing/360 camera, speed limiter/cruise.

Very good on fuel. I get 46MPG on my diesel and I'm quite heavy on the old right foot.

nope, I cant

righty then jolly chaps.... haha

been to the garage again tonight, sat in the golf, sat in the passat, sat in the golf and sat in the passat.... verdict on the golf; great car both inside and out and the few extra features would be nice but when i was sat in there it felt like i was going back to what i had (no major bad thing) but the passat was bigger, different and just as nice and i had to remember, I've got it for 4 years.

question now is: s model or blue motion model?

on review, i think the S model could just take it

Can you get an extended test drive in the shortlist? What seems comfortable for a 10 mile play could end up being a royal PITA, back and neck after 100 miles or more. Personally, I'm the wrong shape for VAG seats and have never found them comfortable but did like the seats in my old Picasso.

Quick check on their site and yes, the Bluemotion is the S model plus extras

"All the S model's features, plus alarm, remote central locking, front fog lights and BlueMotion aerodynamic styling - so it's more economical to run."

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/passat-viii/which-model-compare

Looking at the prices from VW site, the SE model is £100 less than the Bluemotion model - and the SE comes with Cruise - can this not be an model option

Last edited:
Quick check on their site and yes, the Bluemotion is the S model plus extras

"All the S model's features, plus alarm, remote central locking, front fog lights and BlueMotion aerodynamic styling - so it's more economical to run."

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/passat-viii/which-model-compare

Looking at the prices from VW site, the SE model is £100 less than the Bluemotion model - and the SE comes with Cruise - can this not be an model option
Seriously? A car the size and price of a Passat and those don't come as standard on all models. Are they seriously 20yrs or more behind everyone else?

My Focus doesn't have any squeaks or rattles, it's now 3yrs old. Working in Ford's research and development, I've seen Golfs completely stripped down in the workshop and various other car makes to boot, and believe me your sense of German build quality is only skin deep. Underneath they are no better than the Ford equivalent.
No connection with Ford motor company, but I have to agree. In fact I would go further, Fords these days, in my experience, are better than German cars. Two beemers and 1 merc failed, meanwhile fiesta storms on with mega mileage.

Cruise used to be a dealer-fit accessory on VAG cars, so it would be worthwhile asking if this is still the case. You could then get the car at the right price and add cruise later as it won't affect the warranty and you'll not be paying BIK tax on it either. :whistle:

i went for a Hyundai Tucson (yes i know it looks like a ford edge. yes I know its not german built, yes I know its got some cheap materials..)

I love it though. its a great driving position, the only thing it doesn't have is voice control.
I went for the 2wd 1.7 premium rather than the more pokey 4wd 2.0, but i get 45mpg, 50 if I try hard, Acres of room, full leather interior, etc
there are some cheaper plastics in the cabin but its very quiet on the motorway, ive been driving from Folkestone to Bristol a lot in the last 8 weeks and I'm actually getting to where I'm going feeling more relaxed than when i drove in my focus (which i also loved but needed more space)

on the subject of rattles - i had a mk1, mk2 and a mk3 focus and did 60k in each of them, and all 3 didn't have a single squeak or rattle.

S model or bluemotion model? I think the front grill of the bluemotion puts me off but it has better looking alloys
Neither, get the R-Line. That is the best looking one :)

if I could? I would but nope unfortunately, fleet manager has said no to the SE also so its only these 2 models

Well the blue motion model would see the obvious choice then over the S model...If you're still set on the Passat.

Well the blue motion model would see the obvious choice then over the S model...If you're still set on the Passat.
I agree, if it is only those two, I'd get the bluemotion.

Back