New D3's first outing

Gary Coyle

In Memoriam
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
All taken with the new D3 and 300mm f/2.8 VR

Game was last nights televised Super League encounter between Wakefield Trinity Wildcats and Warrington Wolves

All images shot wide open and at ISO 3200-5000, man this set up is staggering in low light and ive no idea what took me so long to make the switch to the dark side.

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

wire3.jpg

wire4.jpg

wire5.jpg

wire6.jpg

wire7.jpg

wire8.jpg

wire9.jpg

wire10.jpg

Some fantastic shots here Gary!, Look forward to bumping into you at Hudd's if i'm covering!. Who did you shoot for?papers/ RL express! or an Agency?. Kind regards Graham.
PS welcome to the dark (correct) Side!

Last edited:
Cheers Graham, i normally shoot for my local paper, the League Weekly and the League Express and now the new "Game on" National League matchday magazine

Last night i was just there testing the gear and meeting up with Dave who i also work for from the agency before Sundays big final. He was covering the game for the Monday papers and for Todays nationals, he also sent 2 of mine into the Nationals as his cam was out of action at the time i got the 2 shots in question.

some stunning shots there :clap: really sharp, but then you have spent around 5k so they should be ;)

Very nice indeed. #2 is a particularly top shot. The exposure, crispness and focus is all spot on, and the quality with that ISO level is excellent. Looks like your beast is doing the biz for you.

Great shots - you've now got the winning combo - hard to beat the D3 for this isn't it!?

Cheers guys, No's 3 and 6 used the DX crop mode which im not really too keen on, i think you can tell if you look closely.

crop mode should be fine at lower ISO's but ill stick to shooting full frame for now and crop in PP if i need or want to.

To point out, if you have the time, the RAW buffer is fast and if you can process your images after the game then shoot RAW as they take the camera up another notch.

Great work.

Pete.

Cheers DM

Thanks Pete, you do know its partly your fault i switched dont you, i have never ever shot Raw and to be honest i just dont get the time to post process them.

Absolutely spot on Gary! Nice set there. If I had to pick one it would be number 8. The beads of sweat on his temple. Excellent shooting.
I've now got the same set up and wouldn't expect to be able to match your shots. In time maybe........

Kev.

Cheers DM

Thanks Pete, you do know its partly your fault i switched dont you, i have never ever shot Raw and to be honest i just dont get the time to post process them.

Yeah thats why I am here!

Serisously shoot raw, open in NX2 crop, straighten save as jpeg, it is that easy......

You can even apply a touch of NR if needed.

I stress it takes it to another level imo.

Pete.

Lovely photos there, great focus and DoF.

Who's the guy with the ball in #3 - looks like a friend of mine!

Cheers Graham, i normally shoot for my local paper, the League Weekly and the League Express and now the new "Game on" National League matchday magazine

Last night i was just there testing the gear and meeting up with Dave who i also work for from the agency before Sundays big final. He was covering the game for the Monday papers and for Todays nationals, he also sent 2 of mine into the Nationals as his cam was out of action at the time i got the 2 shots in question.

I suppose you mean Dave Williams?. I've met him a few times at Huddersfield Town games. Nice fella.

Back