New editing app for Mac users

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
On a video web site I was put onto a new editing programme Serif have a beta version of a new editing app "Affinity" . It's a Photoshop like product, but at a tenth of the cost ( or even less, rumored to be around $50 ). Their Designer app is £39.99 in the app store

A quick look at the app looks promising, but it is in Beta form. You can sign up to the beta here.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

Development team are based in Nottingham.

It is a Beta and some of the operations aren't fully formed, and they state that they are asking for feedback, and the development team do seem to be watching the feedback forum.
It took me a short while to get used to things especially the persona idea, which I still don't fully understand. It does have some interesting features though

It's very promising. The Beta is a bit buggy (as you'd expect) but the team seem to respond to bug reports impressively quickly.

It renders quickly and there's evolving plug-in support. I suspect I shall be ditching Photoshop when it's released.

If Serif follow other so called Photoshop contenders and try to out do Photoshop on features and functions they will fail. If the concentrate on what is required by most photographers they may have a chance.
Serif do decent software. I always recommend Serif PhotoPlus starter to friends who cannot afford Photoshop because it is the only free photo editor with adjustment layers.

That looks quite exciting.

Do any of you use Perfect Photo Suite by onOne Software? It can stand alone and/or function as a plug-in on Aperture, Lightroom, or Photoshop.

Does anyone have any clues (rumours?) about when Apple is likely release the successor to Aperture called Photos?

If Serif follow other so called Photoshop contenders and try to out do Photoshop on features and functions they will fail. If the concentrate on what is required by most photographers they may have a chance.
Serif do decent software. I always recommend Serif PhotoPlus starter to friends who cannot afford Photoshop because it is the only free photo editor with adjustment layers.

Are adjustment layers different from the layers in GIMP (I don't use PS)?

Yes. Gimp just has normal layers. Which are just containers. Adjustment layers apply a non permanent effect, that can be changed at any time. Like a filter.

Last edited:
Latest beta of Affinity Photo has been released today with bug fixes and expanded raw support.

Nice find ! Thanks for the heads up

Back