New emerger fom pond

Edit My Images
No
I was sitting by the pond trying to get dragonflies in flight pics and saw this emerge from the pond. Any ID folks?

Sony A7M2 70-400 G at 400mm about 2m away so quite heavily cropped.

Pond wasps 340-00185-2.jpg

It shouldn't be emerging from the pond like that! Dragonflies usually emerge while still in their nymph stage (usually climbing marginal vegetation to do so) then emerge from their nymph case, before pumping blood into their wings to extend and inflate them and waiting for them to dry before taking flight for the first time (unless they become bird food in the meantime!). I suspect that one is probably egg laying extra deeply (possibly because of the drought) which I've not seen before, or if not (particularly if an eagle-eyed dragonfly entomologist can tell if it's a male!), perhaps it's taken a dunking and is climbing out of the water?

Last edited:
Some female dragonflies do submerge to lay their eggs which is what this will be.

Looks like a hover fly to me but it is hard to tell
How big was it and was it successful at getting out.

Last edited:
Looks like a hover fly to me but it is gard to tell
How big was it and was it successful at getting out.
I think you're probably right, I just saw the word 'dragonflies' mentioned and let that lead me given the size of the photo and the fact I couldn't zoom in! I should have looked more at the scale of the moss in the background and realised. Glad someone's on the ball. (y)

Pond wasps 340-00183.jpg

Here is the fly a minute earlier than the previous picture when it first appeared. It is a heavy crop because the 400mm lens doesn't close focus but the wasp gives scale.

I think you are right about the hover fly. I didn't know that some had an aquatic lavae stage. Thanks.

Just noticed this on another image. Different insect but same species I think. Different wasp too.

Pond wasps 340-00192.jpg

Thank you All ties up, stagnant water with high organic matter, lengthwise striped thorax and a transverse striped abdomen

Back