new here.. garden snaps...

Hi Tom, I like the flower. Very eye-catching.

[Taste warning] I'm comfortable such crops, and like this one, but even so FWIW in this case I would be inclined to take a bit off the top, even though this would lose the one piece of (albeit very subdued) colour in the background. I might also take a little off the right hand side so the gap between petal and edge was a little less on the right than the left, this to "balance" the fact that the flower is "pointing up and to the left". Don't know if that makes any sense to you - maybe it's just me, but when I tried it the flower seemed to "sit more comfortably" in the image. But then again, that might entirely destroy your intention with the crop as it is!

Is the middle bit of the flower - ? stigma - a bit (photographically) soft, or is it simply a soft object? (Or my tired old eyes?) If the former, then how would you feel about a fraction more dof to firm it up a bit? (A genuine question, not a criticism. I can well imagine that using full frame your views on dof may be (and your options certainly are) different from mine, using a tiny-sensor device.)

Back