Info New "Hot Topics" forum.....

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
We have opened a new discussion forum, just under Out of Focus, entitled "Hot Topics".
For those non-photography discussions that are a bit more 'serious' than the general chit-chat of OOF. Those require a bit of thought and can often polarise opinions.

To request access please enter your user preferences and select the "Access the Hot Topics forum" checkbox. Access is granted automatically and it takes the forum software up to an hour to catch up (So please be patient!).

Please note, this is very much a work in progress. Lots of things may change so please just roll with it for now :)

Ta, Mr B..

That's my good idea for this year!!! :)

I clicked it just out of nosiness, I,ll probably avoid it though :)

So who will decided what needs to be placed in the Hot Topics forum?

Mods?

Members?

It seems like you are creating a new forum monster to me, sorry but that's how I see it, extra work and aggro for you guys.

Also, if I may say so, do you not think it gives validity to those who wish to cause aggro in the first place? - I personally feel it does and it is my honest opinion that it is the wrong thing to do

Last edited:
The good thing is, you won't see it unless you opt in.
I think it's a ploy to lure in all the idiots, then when they all squabble, lock it shut and we all live happily ever after :D

Oh no....... Maybe I should opt out again ;)

Or perhaps it's a place where some proper discussion can be had without people calling names all the time. One can hope.

So who will decided what needs to be placed in the Hot Topics forum?
Mods? Members?
Members are free to post in here, although we *may* move stuff in here too, from the general OoF forum.
Also, if I may say so, do you not think it gives validity to those who wish to cause aggro in the first place?
As per JP's post quoted below.
We still expect people to behave like adults its not a free for all, and will still be moderated.
So no its not Carte blanche, but as has been previously suggested, and discussed at length, the more contentious discussions / subjects will not be seen,
other than by members and only those that sign up, and of course the green team too.

I think it's a ploy to lure in all the idiots, then when they all squabble, lock it shut and we all live happily ever after :D
Damned sussed :(
:lock:

:D

Or perhaps it's a place where some proper discussion can be had without people calling names all the time. One can hope.
Or even maybe that ;)

We still expect people to behave like adults its not a free for all, and will still be moderated.
So no its not Carte blanche, but as has been previously suggested, and discussed at length, the more contentious discussions / subjects will not be seen,
other than by members and only those that sign up, and of course the green team too.

They have not behaved like adults so far and I fail to see how giving them their own playground will make a difference to that.

It will certainly create more head aches and work for you guys that's for sure

It will certainly create more head aches and work for you guys that's for sure
If it does we'll either shut it down or ban the trouble makers from there.
At least it should keep those happy that have been saying that OoF has been going down for ages.

Its not like the rest of the forums where you opt out, this one you have to make a physical effort to opt in.
The choice as members (per se) is yours (y)

Members are free to post in here, although we *may* move stuff in here too, from the general OoF forum.

I thought HERE was the general OOF fourm :thinking:

Quite like the idea of a separate forum for the heavy stuff, also that it's hidden unless you chose to access it, (yep I have cos I'm too nosey not to :D)
It will stop people who have chosen not to have access from moaning about things posted in there, don't like don't join it (y)

I didn't realise you were such a blind optimist JP.

I didn't realise you were such a blind optimist JP.
Lol oh yes I am :). I never loose hope where it involves open debate. I even welcome those against to open their eyes and participate and try and understand other people's viewpoints.

It only goes wrong when people think there is only one possible point of view. Slightly odd behaviour for people interested in photography I would have thought as one can approach a subject or theme from many angles.

Ah well that makes us human beings fun and fascinating as we are so inconsistently consistent.

I signed up for the new forum, more out of curiosity than anything, but I'm not sure I understand the thinking behind it. We've always been free to read or ignore threads/posters that we find offensive, and this hasn't changed.

There have been a number of threads that were closed because of intemperate behaviour, which is a pity because some of them were interesting. I've always felt that sanctioning the offenders and allowing the discussion to continue is the best way to deal with this, but I'm not privy to everything the mods see and they have a responsibility to protect the reputation of TP as a whole.

Initially, I thought this was going to be an unmoderated forum, a free for all, but perhaps it's an experiment with a more lightly moderated approach? Allow 'robust' debate, beyond the normal criteria, and decide where to draw the line as time goes on? I'm quite looking forward to it...;)

Sorry but I just don't understand what you are trying to achieve!
how will yet another split forum improve peoples behaviour?
What will be the next? a sub forum of birds to house awkward birding members opinions!
and then the same again for every other forum that is allowed to get away with murder.

I just see this as alienating certain members and pandering to those who wont conform!
What happened to good old consistent moderation?

Politics = trouble (ban it with no exceptions)
racism = trouble(ban it with no exceptions)
religion = trouble(ban it with no exceptions)
human race = trouble.(ban it with no exceptions) :confused:

This is a Photographic forum not twitter or facebook! so why pander to people who like to "debate" contentious subjects? let them spout their venom elsewhere!

Actually, I can think of a sub forum that would be useful to add to OOF . a forum called "copied BBC news items"!

my two penneth.

What will be the next? a sub forum of birds to house awkward birding members opinions!
and then the same again for every other forum that is allowed to get away with murder.

I just see this as alienating certain members and pandering to those who wont conform!

This is a Photographic forum not twitter or facebook! so why pander to people who like to "debate" contentious subjects? let them spout their venom elsewhere!

Actually, I can think of a sub forum that would be useful to add to OOF . a forum called "copied BBC news items"!

my two penneth.

That's a Tanner's worth at the very least! ;)

My you owners and mods fair like your boxes.

Total waste of time and space but it's your ball!

I thought HERE was the general OOF fourm :thinking:
Indeed it is and the "hot topics forum, you know, that one, the one that is under discussion in here, is just below it (y)
OK so maybe I should have said there, rather than here, but life's too short to discuss pedantry
I signed up for the new forum, more out of curiosity than anything
You can always un sign again
Allow 'robust' debate, beyond the normal criteria, and decide where to draw the line as time goes on? I'm quite looking forward to it...;)
That's about it, but we will come down hard on those that deliberately set out to create havoc.

Not at all, its there to opt in, if you want a lively debate, it cannot be seen by none members, or Google (as far as I know)
You know, we can't win, if we crack down on threads, we are being heavy handed, we create a forum for lively debate and still get criticised.
If you want to join in, fine if not, its certainly not compulsory
I don't think there are too many of those left now ;)

My you owners and mods fair like your boxes.Total waste of time and space but it's your ball!
As above, its not compulsory.
But I'm sure there will be a hell of a take up, because humans are basically afraid of missing something.

Last edited:
You poor green guys can please most of the people most of the time....but for some it seems you'll never do right for doing wrong.
I, for one, don't envy you.

You poor green guys can please most of the people most of the time....but for some it seems you'll never do right for doing wrong.
Thankfully at least 90% are quite happy with the way the forum is run, most rarely stray from their favourite forums ( which is fine BTW, I was the same before being green)
A few try and add helpful input and as you say, for some we can never do right for doing wrong.
That's life. / Human nature, but its better than having a load of "yes men", good honest debate is exactly what this thread is all about :)

I, for one, don't envy you.
Green is the colour of envy :D

Was thinking a "Hot Topics" section under the nude and glamour forum might be interesting...
I knew it wouldn't be long, and yes my money was on you Keith :p

Was thinking a "Hot Topics" section under the nude and glamour forum might be interesting...

Do you REALLY want to see the Arlene Philips of today nude or glamorous? :p

Sorry, that was Hot Gossip... :D

of course, one benefit of putting all the contentious topics into a separate section is that it can be made "no search" and so all the venomous bilge thats spouted in there doesn't come up when you google it, and TP doesn't get associated with the imbecilic ravings of a bunch of extremists...

Hopfully Marcel remembered to flick that switch when he set up the forum :)

If it does we'll either shut it down or ban the trouble makers from there.(y)

This is exactly the part I don't understand. Why do you need to give them their own forum to get rid of persistent offenders. isn't that what should be happening in all the forums already?

Why do you need to give them their own forum to get rid of persistent offenders.
The offenders aren't always persistent, and some are very established members, The admin prefer a softer approach,
and don't like censorship, ( which we have also been accused of many times, but its normally those that step over the line ;) )

( Maybe its a corral and a quick sand pit? who knows :D )

I think the new section is a great idea, if it gets oof back to fun and keeps all the arguments in one place we can't see unless we choose to and guests can't see the nasty side of members, I really can't see a negative
i say give it a chance, no one will even notice the place without clicking to add access? I wouldn't want to be in control of the place tho :LOL:

I wouldn't want to be in control of the place tho :LOL:

Oh, I don't know... it could be fun
banhammer-gif.54606

banhammer-gif.54606

Could be, I just get a mental image of something similar to them tramp fighting videos that done the rounds a while back :confused:
Which is why it's a good idea to keep it out of view of the less unhinged forum users :D

Banning a certain member whose 3 letter name ended with a '4' would have been an easier solution.... ;):eek::D:exit:
That member voluntarily asked to be excluded from OoF months ago.

banhammer-gif.54606
Shhh we are not supposed to say that :D

My thoughts precisely. It's win win.
This has been discussed many times, in one guise or another, in the past, @Nod 's suggestion put it back "on the table"
And the Admin decided the time was right, plus if it goes pear shaped we have our whipping boy (y)
So like you say its a win win :D

This is exactly the part I don't understand. Why do you need to give them their own forum to get rid of persistent offenders. isn't that what should be happening in all the forums already?

Let's remember though, it wasn't the participants of said heated topics who requested to be sequestered, but rather those who couldn't exercise the self control to stay out if those threads :D

Let's remember though, it wasn't the participants of said heated topics who requested to be sequestered, but rather those who couldn't exercise the self control to stay out if those threads :D
i reckon your after a seat on the board ruth .bum lickers of the world unite :cobra::exit::exit:

my two penneth.

I'm sorry. Is this a 5 minute argument or the full half hour?

Back