new laptop

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
as the title says i need a new laptop,i have a £1000 to spend,but here is my problem,all i need is something good enough for photoshoping my pics,saving plenty of pics,web browsing,and maybe watching the odd film,
i dont need anything for work related things,so something easy to use as well would be an advantage,

thank you John.

£1000 is a big budget and would allow for a very nice machine. I guess a good place to start would be the screen size, do you want something more portable like a 12" screen or something to leave sitting on your desk like a 17"?

There's a lot of laptops you could choose with a set of requirements like that.

My first recommendation would be to look at Dell's lineup. They've got some really nice laptops in their lineup these days. You could probably get something decent for around 2/3s your budget. Something like the studio XPS

And budget in for an external hard drive for backups - £70 should do it.

£1000 is a big budget and would allow for a very nice machine. I guess a good place to start would be the screen size, do you want something more portable like a 12" screen or something to leave sitting on your desk like a 17"?

Hi fudge,
15 to 17 inch screen would be fine,i looked at the dell studio xps 16 it looks like a very nice laptop,but the choice is mind blowing,i think the more i look the more confused i get,i am only a basic pc user :shrug:,
regards john.

this month's photoplus mag has a review on laptops for toggers'

Hi fudge,
15 to 17 inch screen would be fine,i looked at the dell studio xps 16 it looks like a very nice laptop,but the choice is mind blowing,i think the more i look the more confused i get,i am only a basic pc user :shrug:,
regards john.

If you are looking at the Dell line up then I would suggest the Dell Studio 15, the one priced at 699 on the Dell site. Great processor, 4GB of very fast RAM and a good graphics card for watching some HD content, HDMI output so you can hook it up to your TV as well.

More than enough left over for an external HDD and bluetooth mouse as well (y)

If you are going to be using your laptop for editing while out and about I would also suggest a 12 cell battery, the larger 15" screens can drain the battery quickly. A 12 cell should give you a comfortable 4+ hours of on the move editing time.

There's a lot of laptops you could choose with a set of requirements like that.

My first recommendation would be to look at Dell's lineup. They've got some really nice laptops in their lineup these days. You could probably get something decent for around 2/3s your budget. Something like the studio XPS

:plus1:for Dell's Studio range, check out Hotukdeals for Dell offers being posted.

Get a Macbook from the Apple refurb store :)! Still get a years warranty with that - got mine there! You might be able to pick yourself up a bargain! Google for "MacBook Refurb", Mac seem to keep the link somewhere very unobviouse on their site as they want you to buy a new one!!

you cant go wrong with an Acer, never had problems with mine and you can get some good spec machines. 2nd hand mac is a good option too

cancom used to do them, not sure if they still do.

www.cancomuk.com

if i had the money i would like to try macbook

i've heard their lifespan is better than pc laptops where they can go sluggish after a couple of years even after a reboot

A grand should buy you a nice Mac refurb one! If your worried about screen size/resoloution, just get an external monitor to plug into it :)! They are cheap as these days! Incedentally I will be selling a HP 20" one soon - don't have enough post to put that up yet... Moderator please don't hurt me for mentioning this!

But I would say your better off with a Mac - you won't look back, belive me! You can also have a look here: https://www.krcs.co.uk/shop/categories/search/macbook-pro
They sell end of life models, but they are still shi* hot!

The reason Windows based laptops become sluggish is due to the "registry" entries - each time you install something and so forth windows needs to add a registry value in order to refer to it when loading something, be it drivers or any kind of software, but sometimes it does not remove these when uninstalling a product, hence they become clogged up with rubbish as Windows loads this on boot... Mac's on the other hand do not use a registry system... I could go on, but we shall leave it at that ;)!

A grand is a lot for a Laptop so if your prepared to spend that much you may as well chuck in a few more quid and get something that lasts and holds it's value... bit like a lens ;)! Have a look on ebay, macs that are 2 years old are still worth a fair bit compared to 2 year old Windows based ones. So upgrading comes a bit cheaper...

Ok enough from me now!

Back