New MacOS summer 2012 - Mountain Lion

Doesn't look a very exciting update, but if the pricing is the same as Lion I'll likely get it.

Looks like a better update than Lion was to Snowy. Still fighting incompatible software to let me upgrade, Not Apple's fault , (well not totally). The iMessging app looks like it may be the reason I opt for it.

we still dont have any machines higher than SL as we had enough printer compatibility issues on that move :LOL:

we still have an old leopard tower that runs our large format epson :|

i have to say like the article they are making it more like iOS with the integrated social networking etc.

would like to see a new look from apple though, this layout is getting a bit dated now.

got the imessages beta and it works perfectly. very cool

i wonder when siri will be coming to our macs

Well I've found out that my old MacBook, only just approaching 4 years old probably won't be able to support it as the kernel will likely be 64bit only (Apple prevents a 64bit Kernel booting from a 32bit EFI)

Nevermind, I've got 4 other macs that can support it, and I'll probably load up the dev version onto my older iMac next week to have a gander.

Last edited:
I've installed the beta in a vm on my main machine. Haven't had much time with it yet but some interesting improvements. The integration with iOS/iCloud/Match is very tight. I like the little improvements to the finder as well like showing the progress of files copying within the folder. Notifications is done really well, improved on growl which is impressive as that is very good.

Upgraded to Server in my vm last night and management is an absolute joy.

I do wonder though how much real upgrade reason the "big" changes are like gatekeeper. By default it is switched off actually in the current preview 1.

All my apps seem to play well other than installing the VMware tools but then again those do install kernel extensions.

Talking of software, has anyone had lagging issues with Aperture 3 after lion?

Joe

No. Aperture 3 on my late 08 iMac running Lion seems fine.

Apple seem to be on the cheap update rather than expensive major OS update and I'm not sure I like it. Whilst I understand that the cost of these updates are minimal I'm not sure that I see the benefit of the tweaks they offer.

I would also like to see something new and exciting from Apple. Are they playing safe and getting the idiots (like me) to pay for updates?

Not sure my ageing 2.8 24" will run Lion properly, never mind Mountain lion...... then there's the compatibility with CS4 and Lr2 and on One

could work out to be very expensive to get great functionality across my iphone, ipad and mac. :(

Will be updating my MacbookPro once it comes out, i like to keep up-to-date on what ever i can! Although i will hold out to see if there are any massive issues :)

Not sure my ageing 2.8 24" will run Lion properly, never mind Mountain lion...... then there's the compatibility with CS4 and Lr2 and on One

could work out to be very expensive to get great functionality across my iphone, ipad and mac. :(

Brian, how ageing is it?

Can't remember when I bought it tbh,

About says iMac 8.1 core 2 duo, 2.8ghz

I'll definitely get 10.8 as i think this will be the beginning of what 11.0 will be. I think 11.0 will be an os that will run on mac and the iPod/pad/phones

Matt

Can't remember when I bought it tbh,

About says iMac 8.1 core 2 duo, 2.8ghz

That will run Mountain Lion unless they change it in the release build. There are probably a few things you can do to speed it up a touch. How much RAM do you have in it? What hard drive?

You should be able to take it up to 6Gb reliably and by sticking a modern 1/2Gb drive in it that should speed the whole thing up. Also make sure nothing is running that you don't want (it's nowhere near as bad as Windows for that but often companies that normally sell Windows stuff install unnecessary stuff in MacOS too - HP for eg).

If you want to upgrade it and don't want to do it yourself give me a shout.

I'll definitely get 10.8 as i think this will be the beginning of what 11.0 will be. I think 11.0 will be an os that will run on mac and the iPod/pad/phones

Matt

OS X is a big trademark and sounds much better than OS X1 there is a good chance that they will just carry on with OS X and version numbers or eventually years. It is quite likely that they will carry on their cheap upgrade once a year for ever more.

its got 4gb in it at the moment and the stock 320gb hdd, but most things are being hoofed off onto my drobo for storage, so space should never really be an issue.

cs4 and lr2 are my big concerns really,

iMessages looks like the only thing I'll use. Any news on if the system requirements have changed at all?

ding76uk said:
Anyone got their hands on the developer preview? First impressions?

Yes, see my earlier post.

imessages very good indeed - service brings together desktop/laptops and ios handheld over 3g or wifi very fluidly.
whilst it may not be a new concept it somehow seems to hold my attention a little more than the standard jabber type offering
10.7.3 needed to get going on the beta (if not given out earlier)

I'm running it as prime (in place upgrade of Lion) on my mid 2011 MBA and so far so good, a few little niggles here and there.

Nothing major is broken and CS5, Office 2011, Notebook and the various games I've got installed all work fine and dandy. Safari 5.2 seems to be far more stable than 5.1 too which is a godsend, was getting sick and tired of "can't connect to the server" messages.

There are issues which could be problematic for some, but as a first go it is quite impressive.

Tara

turbotoes said:
I'm running it as prime (in place upgrade of Lion) on my mid 2011 MBA and so far so good, a few little niggles here and there.

Nothing major is broken and CS5, Office 2011, Notebook and the various games I've got installed all work fine and dandy. Safari 5.2 seems to be far more stable than 5.1 too which is a godsend, was getting sick and tired of "can't connect to the server" messages.

There are issues which could be problematic for some, but as a first go it is quite impressive.

Tara

Wow you are brave :) I'm still running it in a vm. I might try it on my old black book that is just gathering dust :)

Back