New modern car advancements ,likes and dislikes.

Hence some of the universally acclaimed best Diesel engines like those from BMW or Mercedes or VAG or Ford sound exactly like ahem a diesel. Hence it surprises me so much for the comments that you made coming from you as you actually work with them day in and out. It doesn't make any sense to me.
As I keep trying to tell you the predominant diesel rattle noise is pretty much gone on modern cars. The only tell tale sign most of the time is the TDCI or whatever variant of badge a manufacturer puts on the back of a car, walk past diesel or petrol versions of the same car and you are unlikely to hear any difference.

As I keep trying to tell you the predominant diesel rattle noise is pretty much gone on modern cars. The only tell tale sign most of the time is the TDCI or whatever variant of badge a manufacturer puts on the back of a car, walk past diesel or petrol versions of the same car and you are unlikely to hear any difference.
And as I keep telling you :p I most definitely hear the difference between a diesel and a petrol. I honestly don't have to looks at the back of it. I'm surrounded by the things and some are super refined and lovely to drive, but you can clear hear that a diesel is a diesel. You can tell it another 100 times, my ears don't tell me anything different.

Diesel (just ignore the weird noise and you can hear the clatter)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2X_F52eJd4

Petrol
View: https://youtu.be/g0WO-YtqSCc

Don't get me wrong I don't mind diesels at - Mercedes 350CDI Bluetec is lovely, as is BMW 535d to name two, or even the Porsche 3.0d or Maserati 3.0 diesel (nearly got that one). But I can most definitely tell the difference between those and their petrol variants. Up until today I would have thought that anyone who likes their cars can tell the difference, hence I just don't get the comments from you. Especially from you as you work with them.

But I can most definitely tell the difference between those and their petrol variants.
Shame you can't recognise the difference between the front end of a mk2 Focus and the rear end of a mk3 Focus. Not really worth providing videos unless the cars are recorded from the same end as any diesel clatter noise that maybe present doesn't come out of the exhaust. Also there is nothing to say that what ever is causing the weird noise on the diesel video, isn't also causing the clatter to be louder than normal. My old Mondeo certainly never produced that much clatter noise and I have stood next to diesel engines started up in test cells, so no confines of an engine bay to soak up the noise and they still don't make as much noise as that.
Because diesel engines were mainly used in vans, lorries as opposed to cars, there was never the real need to make the engines quieter. But just as with petrols which weren't particularly quiet originally, changes in engine construction, design and combustion have drastically reduced the noises produced.

Shame you can't recognise the difference between the front end of a mk2 Focus and the rear end of a mk3 Focus. Not really worth providing videos unless the cars are recorded from the same end as any diesel clatter noise that maybe present doesn't come out of the exhaust. Also there is nothing to say that what ever is causing the weird noise on the diesel video, isn't also causing the clatter to be louder than normal. My old Mondeo certainly never produced that much clatter noise and I have stood next to diesel engines started up in test cells, so no confines of an engine bay to soak up the noise and they still don't make as much noise as that.
Because diesel engines were mainly used in vans, lorries as opposed to cars, there was never the real need to make the engines quieter. But just as with petrols which weren't particularly quiet originally, changes in engine construction, design and combustion have drastically reduced the noises produced.
Yup - funnily enough not many people post videos of the noise of a diesel ;) It was all I could find. (y)

Diesel engines weren't mainly used in vans since I'd say the late eighties. Yes sure the UK ran behind the rest of Europe big time on the diesel front, and somehow totally switch to preferring diesel since the early 2000's. Its not a new phenomena at all. I've had a fair few in them old days like the maginificent Mercedes 300D, the utterly brilliant game changer BMW 525TDS, my first VW Golf 1.9TDI Stop/Start in the mid-nineties, to the Peugeot 1.9TD, and then the current generations of theBMW 320d, thepowerful 535d, X5 5.0d and the oh so smooth and refined Mercedes 350cdi bluetec.All exhibiting diesel clatter including the Mondeo's, Vauxhall's and Renaults I've had a rental cars.

Mine doesn't clatter but it sure as hell sounds different from its petrol enginned sibling (and I'm talking both 3l versions not the V8s.) The 4 pots sound even more obviously diesel. At driving speeds and revs, you barely hear the engine from inside the cabin.

Yup - funnily enough not many people post videos of the noise of a diesel ;) It was all I could find. (y)

Diesel engines weren't mainly used in vans since I'd say the late eighties. Yes sure the UK ran behind the rest of Europe big time on the diesel front, and somehow totally switch to preferring diesel since the early 2000's. Its not a new phenomena at all. I've had a fair few in them old days like the maginificent Mercedes 300D, the utterly brilliant game changer BMW 525TDS, my first VW Golf 1.9TDI Stop/Start in the mid-nineties, to the Peugeot 1.9TD, and then the current generations of theBMW 320d, thepowerful 535d, X5 5.0d and the oh so smooth and refined Mercedes 350cdi bluetec.All exhibiting diesel clatter including the Mondeo's, Vauxhall's and Renaults I've had a rental cars.
It's only since direct injection diesels were introduced that the noise has significantly been reduced. Originally fuel was injected into a inlet manifold, the fuel sucked into the combustion chamber and compressed at which point it ignites. With direct injection, multiple but much smaller amounts of fuel are injected into a pre combustion chamber or a combustion chamber in the piston itself. This allows for a more controlled combustion over a greater length of time. this means a more linear constant push on the piston which is what reduces the combustion noise or rattle. Hence my comment about modern diesels sounding noisy due to injectors over fuelling from poor calibration/mapping or just being worn. As further advances are made in this as well as balancing shafts and dmfs being applied the noise is gradually being erased. As for rental cars rattling, many people who aren't used to driving diesels have a habit of stalling them by trying to pull away in the wrong gear, this doesn't really do the dmf any favours, it starts to wear, it's balancing properties diminish meaning the combustion cycle smoothness diminishes and the rattle noise increases.

As I was driving back from Oxford last night I was reminded of one of the 'automatic' options on my car that I thought might be quite nice but in practice falls rather short of my requirements. I'm talking about automatic headlights, specifically the ability to switch themselves onto maim beam and dip appropriately when required.

Although the sensor clearly 'sees' lights ahead and does indeed dip the lights, it takes longer to do this than I would normally do myself. I'm afraid I occasionally dazzled some drivers coming the other way, especially on country roads where bends are a feature. You can always see a car coming ages before you actually see its lights, so I always dip well before they're in full view .. other motorists tend to behave equally courteously.

The upshot of last night's little adventure is that I shan't bother with automatic main/dip beam anymore, although I'm still happy for the car to turn my lights on when it thinks the ambient light levels require it.

As I was driving back from Oxford last night I was reminded of one of the 'automatic' options on my car that I thought might be quite nice but in practice falls rather short of my requirements. I'm talking about automatic headlights, specifically the ability to switch themselves onto maim beam and dip appropriately when required.

Although the sensor clearly 'sees' lights ahead and does indeed dip the lights, it takes longer to do this than I would normally do myself. I'm afraid I occasionally dazzled some drivers coming the other way, especially on country roads where bends are a feature. You can always see a car coming ages before you actually see its lights, so I always dip well before they're in full view .. other motorists tend to behave equally courteously.

The upshot of last night's little adventure is that I shan't bother with automatic main/dip beam anymore, although I'm still happy for the car to turn my lights on when it thinks the ambient light levels require it.
Modern cars are taking all the fun out of driving, trying to think for us. Now even wanting to drive the car for us :eek:.

How do you know you were dazzling the oncoming driver? Even on main beam the light pattern only shines so high and so far. I'd have thought the sensitivity of your sensor would be able to determine whether your car was within dazzling distance of the oncoming driver and adjust it's beam in good time whilst still providing you with a clear view of the road ahead for as long as possible.

How do you know you were dazzling the oncoming driver? Even on main beam the light pattern only shines so high and so far. I'd have thought the sensitivity of your sensor would be able to determine whether your car was within dazzling distance of the oncoming driver and adjust it's beam in good time whilst still providing you with a clear view of the road ahead for as long as possible.
I have noticed on our Galaxy, even on high beam, it does not seem very bright. Loved the high beam on our old Volvo, lit up a dark country road really well. Lights on our Galaxy are poop.

Indeed it's not like they haven't spend many many millions just testing these systems.

I love it how my ILS manages the beam, it just glides down and in. Never had anyone flash me with their headlights.

In two instances the oncoming vehicles were in the opposite carriageway of a dual carriageway with a central Armco barrier, and both times I received a momentary flash just before my main beam dipped automatically. My lights are the LED variety which give a wonderful white light to the road ahead, but there is inevitably a small degree of 'scatter' on full beam, so I imagine it would be that which an oncoming driver might find a bit too bright.

In two instances the oncoming vehicles were in the opposite carriageway of a dual carriageway with a central Armco barrier, and both times I received a momentary flash just before my main beam dipped automatically. My lights are the LED variety which give a wonderful white light to the road ahead, but there is inevitably a small degree of 'scatter' on full beam, so I imagine it would be that which an oncoming driver might find a bit too bright.
I think it is much more likely that they were purely providing you a pre-emptive flash just like you are used to doing ;)

In that case I'd be even more surprised that the lights were dazzling them.

For me it has to be the parking camera. I am now able to park in very small spaces that i would never have been able to park without the camera.

For me it has to be the parking camera. I am now able to park in very small spaces that i would never have been able to park without the camera.

If someone needs the use of a camera to park, then I doubt their ability to drive competently.

Being able to see exactly how close you are to what's behind is impossible without a camera. Better than the European method of reversing until you hit the car behind, nudge forward until you hit the one in front, repeat until you're nearly out of the flow of traffic...

Being able to see exactly how close you are to what's behind is impossible without a camera. Better than the European method of reversing until you hit the car behind, nudge forward until you hit the one in front, repeat until you're nearly out of the flow of traffic...
How the hell did we ever manage to park without that aid? ....
Oh wait a minute I don't have one and can still park in the smallest of gaps (y)

Oh wait a minute I don't have one and can still park in the smallest of gaps (y)

Exactly! People should be able to judge the dimensions of their car.

If someone needs the use of a camera to park, then I doubt their ability to drive competently.
Clue being in the smallest of spaces ;)

You know the kind where in the olden days you had someone guide you in to get you really close. Or like when you were off-roading you would get out and walk in the mud to check you are still ok; my 360 degree camera system is brilliant to keep my feet dry.

Just because you have tiny little French cars and are mister perfect doesn't mean others have to be like you.

In the army I used to have a guide walking out or behind to aid the parking in closest of spaces in between the trees in the forest ;)

Clue being in the smallest of spaces ;)

You know the kind where in the olden days you had someone guide you in to get you really close. Or like when you were off-roading you would get out and walk in the mud to check you are still ok; my 360 degree camera system is brilliant to keep my feet dry.

Just because you have tiny little French cars and are mister perfect doesn't mean others have to be like you.

ooooh get you Mr Tough Guy!

As you can see I haven't always driven "tiny little French cars" and I've never needed cameras nor anyone to guide me in to a space. Try harder next time.

1924109_41577971521_5906_n.jpg

Oh gawd.. here we go, new phase of argument about to start.. Who's got the biggest substitute for the smallest ____? :D

As you can see I haven't always driven "tiny little French cars" and I've never needed cameras nor anyone to guide me in to a space. Try harder next time.

View attachment 75830
Well I'm man enough to admit I cannot get a vehicle in every single space without assistance. So there...

PS. Those Navara pickup trucks never drove, the bottom end of the engine had a problem. The D40 was much better and bigger :p

I wish they'd do away with daytime running lights and have reversing cameras as mandatory instead. Whether you need one or not it is far more useful and also helps you spot a child that may have run behind without you seeing.

Those side cameras to help see at junctions without having to shove a giant bonnet out must be useful also.

We've started installing them in our HGV fleet also. The drivers can still reverse fine without them but they make life easier plus speeds things up.

Last edited:
Oh gawd.. here we go, new phase of argument about to start.. Who's got the biggest substitute for the smallest ____? :D
Easy that is me, unless you get LGV or HGV's in the mix :)

Yes. All drivers worth their salt can see round corners and through steel and plastic.

All drivers worth their salt should be able to judge their vehicle's width and length when parking. However, I accept you can't and maybe I have overestimated how many people can.

All drivers worth their salt should be able to judge their vehicle's width and length when parking. However, I accept you can't and maybe I have overestimated how many people can.
LOL I think you find that the vast majority can, but as was stated it gets different in the closest of spaces ;) Didn't think that would such a hard concept that a camera makes it easier than having to exit the vehicle to see if you are close enough already.

Reactions: Nod

View attachment 75830

I bet the towbar gets/got used as a rear "sensor" a few times!

As JP points out, it makes things a lot easier if you have (a) camera(s) and/or parking sensors.

Exactly! People should be able to judge the dimensions of their car.

There is a slightly narrow bridge I go over twice daily for work, you can easily get 2 transit vans past each other crossing it, yet people in the likes of
Fiat 500 seem to think that they have to stop if another car is approaching anywhere in sight, causes no end of delays.

There is a slightly narrow bridge I go over twice daily for work, you can easily get 2 transit vans past each other crossing it, yet people in the likes of
Fiat 500 seem to think that they have to stop if another car is approaching anywhere in sight, causes no end of delays.
Yep some people just cannot judge widths either :(

Easy that is me, unless you get LGV or HGV's in the mix :)
Artics are are surprisingly manoeuvrable, especially going backwards. :)

Who's got the biggest substitute for the smallest ____? :D
That'll be me (y)
I have daily use for one, but not so much the other these days :D

4x4.jpg

Perhaps they just don't trust the car coming the opposite direction. I can judge a tight gap and carry on, but If I don't like the way the oncoming car is positioned and they aren't likely to give room, I'll let them go.
If however the driver of a Fiat 500 is slowing down to drive through a width restriction, then yes they are useless at judging the size of their car or the gap.

It may have nothing to do with their spacial judgement.
Some people don't want to raise their risk level, whereas others are quite happy to go storming in and raise it a lot. And most of the rest are somwhere in between. I'm not just talking about the narrow bridge. Their whole journey.

Last edited:
Some people don't want to raise their risk level, whereas others are quite happy to go storming in and raise it a lot
Or those that just dither about, shall I go, shan't I go? by the time they "Go" its far late, risking themselves and the driver that they pulled out on.

Perhaps they just don't trust the car coming the opposite direction. I can judge a tight gap and carry on, but If I don't like the way the oncoming car is positioned and they aren't likely to give room, I'll let them go.
If however the driver of a Fiat 500 is slowing down to drive through a width restriction, then yes they are useless at judging the size of their car or the gap.

Did l say slowing down ?
No l said stopping, you can see quite a way past the bridge in either direction and they could easily
get over it but choose to stop instead if anything is in sight.
I normally give way to HGVs because l know it takes more effort for them to get moving again and it
can be tad tiight trying to get through at the same timeasthem, but not impossible

Did l say slowing down ?
No l said stopping,
Does it really matter, stopping or slowing it can be harder to judge a gap with an oncoming vehicle especially if you're not sure if the other motorist is going to give you much room. I've come across plenty of gaps where there is room for two vehicles to pass only for the oncoming driver to take up way too much room even to the extent of driving straight towards me on my side of the road with no intent to move over.

Bloody modern cars, and their technology. Yes some good points, but there again..

Going out shopping this morning, and there is no power in our Galaxy. Press button on key fobs, and nothing. Trying to get into the car, with the silly skinny key, and the door lock cover was a pain.
Finally got into the car and no power anywhere, no interior lights either. Looks like a job for the RAC.

Having a Coffee , while I wait :(.

Update:

It was because I had left the car parked up for a few days, while the gear lever was in R.

More here >> https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ar-while-parked-up-drains-the-battery.638601/

Last edited:
Bloody modern cars, and their technology. Yes some good points, but there again..

Going out shopping this morning, and there is no power in our Galaxy. Press button on key fobs, and nothing. Trying to get into the car, with the silly skinny key, and the door lock cover was a pain.
Finally got into the car and no power anywhere, no interior lights either. Looks like a job for the RAC.

Having a Coffee , while I wait :(.
I know you have said in the past your wife is disabled but is this a Motability Contract Hire vehicle? If not why are you paying for RAC cover when you have a years Ford Roadside Assistance for free? http://www.ford.co.uk/BuyingandprotectingyourFord/RoadsideAssistance
Hope it's sorted soon by the way.

Back