New Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR II

Deleted,unnecessarily sarcastic.

That is great,when did this news first break?

Possibly when the other "New Nikon Stuff" threads started.....:cautious:

Press release is dated today, got email from Calumet and noticed it.

Quite a few people have been waiting for this so thought a dedicated thread would catch the eye, best kept seperate from the impending "who needs video" flame that will take over the new stuff thread :)

Having just agreed a deal with Whitey to get the original version of this lens I thought I'd finally got the best lens I'll ever own. Now there is a newer better version I can still live in the hope that one day I'll own this one.

Will it actually be much better though and do we have a view of how ridiculously expensive it'll be?

Sorry Ross,I deleted my initial post,it has been a long night and it was uncalled for.

Having just agreed a deal with Whitey to get the original version of this lens I thought I'd finally got the best lens I'll ever own. Now there is a newer better version I can still live in the hope that one day I'll own this one.

Will it actually be much better though and do we have a view of how ridiculously expensive it'll be?

rrp for it is £1,999. How much better I'm not sure

Hugh

Thanks for this RDH :)

This is actually the most newsworthy of Nikons releases since the D3 for me. Surprised NPS haven't sent this out to their members.

Now where can I pre-order :)

Sorry Ross,I deleted my initial post,it has been a long night and it was uncalled for.

No worries man :¬)

Rob - from what I've read elsewhere people are 'hoping' it will have the same resolution/sharpness from edge to edge as the 14-24, which would make it beneficial for specific types of photography (fashion, beauty and landscapes).

If you're using the 70-200 for candid shots, wide open at 2.8, the upgrade might not be worth it.

Whether that's the case remains to be seen. Others have said that it will bring the performance up to 24-70/2.8 standard, which is odd since the 70-200 is damn sharp already!

Yeah but the AF just isn't up to the standard of more recent Nikon pro lenses and for sports togs it's been a bugbear. Also I get some nasty vignetting on the D3 with the current model which the fatter design seems to address.

Now.. has anyone seen anyone selling them??

Yeah but the AF just isn't up to the standard of more recent Nikon pro lenses and for sports togs it's been a bugbear. Also I get some nasty vignetting on the D3 with the current model which the fatter design seems to address.

Now.. has anyone seen anyone selling them??

Thats a very good point - the focus on the 24-70 is top-notch.

If the sharpness is brought up to 14-24 standard, and the AF to 24-70, I'll be upgrading :¬)

Calumet are taking pre-orders atm, and I think it's going to be avail in November...

Hmmm can't say I've noticed the "old" 70-200VR being exactly slow on the AF front, far from it - and I shoot about the fastest action going. Then again, I've little to compare it to apart from primes and its never going to be as fast as those. Nothing in the press release suggests the VRII variant is any better either... I am sure they'd trumpet about it if it was...

Also, don't think I've ever heard of actual vignetting on FX... only drop offs in sharpness in the extreme corners under certain conditions. I know this point has been something which has resulted in all sorts of internet arguments though!

Hmmm can't say I've noticed the "old" 70-200VR being exactly slow on the AF front, far from it - and I shoot about the fastest action going. Then again, I've little to compare it to apart from primes and its never going to be as fast as those. Nothing in the press release suggests the VRII variant is any better either... I am sure they'd trumpet about it if it was...

Also, don't think I've ever heard of actual vignetting on FX... only drop offs in sharpness in the extreme corners under certain conditions. I know this point has been something which has resulted in all sorts of internet arguments though!

Vignetting well know, google it.. Issues with AF well known in sports and news world (nothing major but issues none the less).

quote from press release: Robert Cristina, Manager Professional Products at Nikon Europe, says: “The optical design has been completely re-mastered to meet the demands of today’s image sensors. It also works better at slow shutter speeds and is adapted to complement the latest autofocus technologies too.”

Thats Nikon way of saying we've fixed the issues we had with the AF without actually mentioning there were any issues with the AF.

Meh, I just must be very lucky then with the "AF problems" because the D300/70-200VR combo rarely ever misses a shot...

Vignette problems, no idea personally, only as I say a load of endless arguments about it on FX.

Meh, I just must be very lucky then with the "AF problems" because the D300/70-200VR combo rarely ever misses a shot...

Vignette problems, no idea personally, only as I say a load of endless arguments about it on FX.

AF on the 24-70 is better in low light, magical in fact (was using it in near darkness for evening strobist portraits, managed to focus with no assist) :¬)

:naughty: Hmm, interesting!

I like the fact that it's a little shorter than the previous version, even if it is still pretty heavy :|.

Will be interesting to see what the street price and the availability is like on this lens, come Xmas. It's a win/win for me, as I was planning to get the 70-200mm in the winter and now there's a good chance that the older one will drop a little in price, or the new one will prove to be worth the extra dosh :).

Thanks for posting, rdh.

I think it will be a cracking lens but I wont be selling mine to by one as I don’t think the upgrade will benefit me.

I reckon the street price will be around £1799, the current model has an rrp of £1799 and is retailing at just over £1500 atm, which is bad enough :shake:

Mmmmmm...........should I sell my old 70-200 VR then? I got mine for £1149.00 back before the prices went mental in October 2008. I am a sucker for latest and greatest but......ooooh, even £1799.99 is pushing it.

Aside from my self-indulgent pondering here's a question for you.

Will the price of the current 70-200 actually increase or stay roughly the same regardless of the new version. I ask this because currently the SB-800 is more expensive than its replacement the SB-900!

I was lucky enouygh to get a test of the D3 before it was out, it was an NPS day in Antwerp.
They had a D3 and 500mm rig to play with but I asked if I could swap it for the 70-200 I had with me, a reluctant yes came. Ooops I said, vignettes a tad huh.. it was very apparent in the viewfinder. All the cameras had their CF doors taped shut that day as they were on beta firmware.. I was assured that the lens performed well on the D3. right on.. significant corner darkening is visible if it's used mid to wide open.
I was assured back then that Nikon were going to address the ''issue'' and this'll be the fix. A new model with whopping price tag to match.

I'm actually grown fond of the vignetting, in the sort of work I'm doing it's not a bother, or easily removed in RAW conversion.

Will I ditch this 70-200 for the new one? Not until this one is worn out or Nikon decide to sponsor me ;)

I'm personally looking forward to them releasing something around the F4 longer range lenses for the FX format.

I think you are right flash about the £1799 retail.

But i wouldnt expect to see it come down that low until 2010. If stock is short which knowing Nikon it will be the the price will stay high.

But if there are lots around then some dealers get nervous of seeing too many £2000 lenses on the shelf and the price will come down.

I would even say it may come down to £1699 at some point but with the VAT increase then maybe £1749.

We are taking names and numbers for anyone interested in the lens and TP members will not be paying the £1999 price ;)

Stuart

Back