SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
http://thenewcamera.com/nikon-d850-d900-rumored-specification/

http://www.cameracomparisonreview.com/2015/12/21/nikon-d850-to-feature-54mp-sony-sensor/
"
After the announcement of Canon 5DS/R and Sony A7R II Nikon wants to create a prefect competitor for both the camera, the Successor of Nikon D810 camera is expected to have massive bump in resolution and video recording capabilities.

According to a Anonymous source [Thanks] Nikon may pick a newly developed 50+ MP Fullframe resolution sensor for the successor of Nikon D810 DSLR camera, the upcoming Nikon D850 / D900 (name not confirmed yet) will also capture 4K videos,

Take a look at the rumored specification of the camera

• 52MP FX-Format CMOS Sensor
  • Base ISO start from ISO 32
  • EXPEED 4 Image Processor
  • No Optical Low Pass Filter
  • Internal UHD 4K Video
  • New Multi-CAM AF Sensor
Take this with a grain of salt since the information is coming from a new source. We will update you soon as we get any new information.

Update: Photokina 2016 is already crossed and .Nikon is keeping silence on the successor of Nikon D850 camera. Actually Nikon is looking forward to Canon, since according to rumors Canon is also updating Canon 5DS R camera and its successor is expected to arrive in June or August of 2017. At the same timeframe we also expect we will see announcement of Nikon D850 camera.

Stay tunes we will post more update soon."

Sounds exciting for landscape photography. I just ordered a D810 so not looking for buying a new toy for a while, but this looks great

Last edited:
If Nikon can produce the above spec with at least 10-12fps, they'll will be onto a winner here. I don't even want to guess on what the price tag will be!?

Something will ham-string it (if it exists) you can bet.

I suspect frame rate (not a biggy for landscapers who this is surely aimed at) or potentially dynamic range (a real biggie for landscapers). I wager at high ISO's it'll be a bit rubbish but for low ISO landscaping in the golden hours I reckon I would get on fine with it

Roughly what a D810 was new. I imagine its frame rate would be about half that. 54mp RAW is some size of file (9000x6000)

So you're looking at 3k (ish). The D810 has been around for a couple of years now, if not longer. I was suprised Nikon didn't release an "S" for the D810. But it's such an incredible body imo.

Base ISO of 32 means it should be pretty good at the reasonably high end [6400 - 12800 region] no?

Base ISO of 32 means it should be pretty good at the reasonably high end [6400 - 12800 region] no?

I suspect it will be optimised for low ISO performance (fine by me) and dynamic range at low ISO. My D800 and D810 are a mess IMHO into four figure ISO's. I hate grain of any form.
So you're looking at 3k (ish). The D810 has been around for a couple of years now, if not longer. I was suprised Nikon didn't release an "S" for the D810. But it's such an incredible body imo.

I know, I love mine. I loved my D800 too. These high res cameras are a joy for landscape style work.

I suspect frame rate (not a biggy for landscapers who this is surely aimed at) or potentially dynamic range (a real biggie for landscapers). I wager at high ISO's it'll be a bit rubbish but for low ISO landscaping in the golden hours I reckon I would get on fine with it

A D810 x D5/D500 would really be something :)

With the D800E I did use it up to 10K ISO at a few gigs, but in general I preferred to stay low too. For landscape for example or more so macro work, you could see light noise start creeping in at 800 even. But only really if you were pixel peeping. Which nobody else will do besides other photographers looking to nit pick :D

A D810 x D5/D500 would really be something :)

I am so pleased with the D810 I am going to get a second one once the price drops a little. I like to put a body on each of my both most used zooms meaning I don't have to swap lenses in the field. Great for avoiding dirt getting in, better still if you drop/lose one.

Just look at the A7rii if youre trying to figure out what a high MP sensor will deliver (pretty much the best sensor you can get, add Nikons processing and that would be improved), 10-12 fps, no chance... more like 5-6fps if youre lucky. With that spec it wont be a sports camera.

Just look at the A7rii if youre trying to figure out what a high MP sensor will deliver (pretty much the best sensor you can get, add Nikons processing and that would be improved), 10-12 fps, no chance... more like 5-6fps if youre lucky. With that spec it wont be a sports camera.

However the A99 mk2 has your high mp sensor offering 12fps FF.

They'll use a Sony sensor for it anyway, they did with the D800 range

We all know Nikon will restrict the FPS with the D810 successor, ts part of their segmentation strategy to make different people buy different bodies unlike Sony who in SLR only have one full frame option.

By the end of next year I expect we'll see a refreshed lower end FF D610A (along with a Canon 6Dii) and the high end, non-sports D850. Leaving the D5 for those looking for super fast FPS.

The D750 is the head scratcher, if rumours about a true D700 replacement are true then I'm not sure where a revised D750 sits, Nikon need to keep a lower end FF body to compete not just with Canon but also mirror less options from Sony and arguably Fuji, a slightly updated D750 isn't that body (on price grounds) and a "new" D700 certainly isn't!

However the A99 mk2 has your high mp sensor offering 12fps FF.
It can, for about 4 seconds; and then the buffer takes forever to clear. Adequate for most/a lot and better than a D810... but not on the same level as the top tier Nikons/Canons.

IMO, there is about zero point to 50+MP in the 35mm FF format. AFAIK there is no lens that can resolve to that level... if there is, it will only be at around f/1. There are some *potential* benefits besides "resolution," but most probably will never need/see them...

It can, for about 4 seconds; and then the buffer takes forever to clear. Adequate for most/a lot and better than a D810... but not on the same level as the top tier Nikons/Canons.
but then it isn't priced like the top Canons or Nikons either ... £3K v £5K

The Sony's new A99II LSI chip really helps with the fps & buffer speeds, seems better than 4 seconds.
This is working with 80MB uncompressed RAW files which is quite a feat.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the D850 willl be like but the D810 is such a good camera I'm actually in no rush for a change.

IMO, there is about zero point to 50+MP in the 35mm FF format. AFAIK there is no lens that can resolve to that level... if there is, it will only be at around f/1. There are some *potential* benefits besides "resolution," but most probably will never need/see them...

They'll make newer, sharper, better ones :D

More GAS!!!!

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/02/d800-megapixels.html

And

http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...02/why-80-megapixels-just-wont-be-enough.html

Last edited:

I agree on most points, but the practicalities/realities of current technologies makes the gains insignificant compared to the penalties IMO. If you really want to see the kinds of gains one might expect from very high MP's you really need to switch to a larger format.
An example is the Zeiss 135/2... it is the only lens that has been tested and shown to deliver a true 36MP on the D800E, but it can only do that at f/2. On the 50MP 5Ds-R it goes up to 41MP @ f/2, but the 5Ds-R has many "negatives" compared to the D8xx which significantly counter/negate that increase in resolution.

Here's one for you: https://luminous-landscape.com/do-sensors-out-resolve-lenses/
The most significant part of the article is this table which shows how many MP's a (non existent) perfect lens could project at different apertures on different formats, i.e. 16MP @f/11 on 35mm/FF (the columns are for B/G-Y/R wavelengths... with green-yellow being most significant for current sensor technology).
TABLA3.jpg

The Sony's new A99II LSI chip really helps with the fps & buffer speeds, seems better than 4 seconds.
This is working with 80MB uncompressed RAW files which is quite a feat.
Maybe 4.5 sec? It must have a rather large buffer. I've never found a need for 12fps for more than about a second, usually much less. But I have been in situations where the bursts are not separated by enough time for the buffer to clear with a slow write speed (UHS-1, 10MB/s for the A99). The A99 II is a great camera, but it doesn't truly offer much over the D8xx, and it offers marginally less in most areas... IMO the lens systems/compatibility is the main differentiator.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the D850 willl be like but the D810 is such a good camera I'm actually in no rush for a change.
I'm struggling to see how much better they can make it TBH. Yes AF will be better (some incarnation from the D5) and maybe MP count will be higher but is that enough to warrant an upgrade? I can't see frame rate being more than 6.5fps. IMO Nikon really need to sort liveview out, there's no excuse for it these days IMO.

I'm more interested in the D750 upgrade TBH as I don't get on with the grip on the D810, I just hope they don't put an as filter in ;)

I agree on most points, but the practicalities/realities of current technologies makes the gains insignificant compared to the penalties IMO. If you really want to see the kinds of gains one might expect from very high MP's you really need to switch to a larger format.
An example is the Zeiss 135/2... it is the only lens that has been tested and shown to deliver a true 36MP on the D800E, but it can only do that at f/2. On the 50MP 5Ds-R it goes up to 41MP @ f/2, but the 5Ds-R has many "negatives" compared to the D8xx which significantly counter/negate that increase in resolution.

Here's one for you: https://luminous-landscape.com/do-sensors-out-resolve-lenses/
The most significant part of the article is this table which shows how many MP's a (non existent) perfect lens could project at different apertures on different formats, i.e. 16MP @f/11 on 35mm/FF (the columns are for B/G-Y/R wavelengths... with green-yellow being most significant for current sensor technology).
TABLA3.jpg
And yet, to match the pixel size of a 24mp DX sensor you'd need a 55mp FX sensor. There is plenty of headroom yet.

And yet, to match the pixel size of a 24mp DX sensor you'd need a 55mp FX sensor. There is plenty of headroom yet.
There's not much point to the 24MP APS sensor either... I wouldn't say "none," if nothing else it eliminates the need for an AA filter, and there is usually some increase in DR/color accuracy/depth with an increase in MP's (sampling). But it also almost always comes with some negative tradeoff... if nothing else file size, but there's almost always additional ones as well.

I'm more interested in the D750 upgrade TBH as I don't get on with the grip on the D810, I just hope they don't put an as filter in ;)

I have a D750 and D810 and when put base-to-base there is very little to distinguish between them, both are deep grips. The D810 grip is only just marginally larger, there's virtually nothing in it size wise - we are talking millimetres here.

I have a D750 and D810 and when put base-to-base there is very little to distinguish between them, both are deep grips. The D810 grip is only just marginally larger, there's virtually nothing in it size wise - we are talking millimetres here.
The D750 has a deeper recess so I can wrap my fingers round more, with the D810 I can only get my fingers roughly up to my first knuckle on the inside of the grip. This is why the D750 has a smaller top LCD panel to make way for the recess.

IMG_8797.jpg

Last edited:
The D750 has a deeper recess so I can wrap my fingers round more, with the D810 I can only get my fingers roughly up to my first knuckle on the inside of the grip. This is why the D750 has a smaller top LCD panel to make way for the recess.

View attachment 92694

Photographs can be deceptive. In reality, the depth of the grip on the D750 and the D810 is identical at 28mm, and have the same physical deep recess. The difference in the size of the grip can be explained by the slightly larger overhanging, command wheel and shutter cowling that rests on your second finger, when your forefinger rests on the shutter release and a slightly wider body.

Photographs can be deceptive. In reality, the depth of the grip on the D750 and the D810 is identical at 28mm, and have the same physical deep recess. The difference in the size of the grip can be explained by the slightly larger overhanging, command wheel and shutter cowling that rests on your second finger, when your forefinger rests on the shutter release and a slightly wider body.
Well I've used both and can wrap my fingers around more on the D750 so not sure why then. My finger ends end up rubbing against the body of the D810 of that makes sense? When I read into it 'they' said the D750 has a deeper recess hence the reduced LCD, just shows you can't believe everything you read on t'imterweb ;) Either way I didn't find the D810 as comfortable, in fact the only DSLR that I've found more comfortable than the D750 was the Sony A77/A77-II. Obviously YMMV (y)

Well I've used both and can wrap my fingers around more on the D750 so not sure why then. My finger ends end up rubbing against the body of the D810 of that makes sense? When I read into it 'they' said the D750 has a deeper recess hence the reduced LCD, just shows you can't believe everything you read on t'imterweb ;) Either way I didn't find the D810 as comfortable, in fact the only DSLR that I've found more comfortable than the D750 was the Sony A77/A77-II. Obviously YMMV (y)

I've got small hands. One of my workshoppers turned up with one and I found the opposite. It just didn't sit well in the hands and the controls didn't work for me the way the 800 series do.

Don't get me wrong it's a good camera but it's not the one for me

I find the slightly larger cowling on the D810 nicely balancing it acts as a sort of 'fulcrum' and is well balanced in the hand, leaving the other hand available for direction, communication etc. I also employ an unobtrusive Black Rapid wrist strap. Should I drop the camera, it won't hit the deck.

I know we don't know but what's the best info when this camera is likely to come out ?

Back