New Nokia 808 - 41Mpix onboard camera.

Interesting concept, will be nice to see what the results look like, I'm not entirely sure that reducing a 41Mp array down to 8Mp is going to be as wonderful for detail and resolution as they say but then I'm not an optics engineer!

Must just be appealing to the few who still think more megapixels = better camera :(

By all accounts it is rather a backwards step in terms of telephony. This has gimmick and "look what we can do" written all over it. The phone is bulbous, unattractive, obsolete and bolstered solely by an utterly useless feature.

Symbian? More like Simian.

Must just be appealing to the few who still think more megapixels = better camera :(

We may have to eat humble pie on this one :bang:
Looks like Nokia have produced a game changing camera.

Website run by Tim Parkin and backed by Joe Cornish has published their initial analysis of the sample images.
They know what they are talking about, and their findings are absolutely astonishing. :clap:

Nokia may have no desire to scale that sensor up, but I'd love to see them chuck the phone bit away and make an ultra-high quality quality fag packet sized camera.

It makes you wonder how many pixels they will be fit in a phone time this times next year and whether they will over reacha limit where they simply cant get any more megapixels out of the tiny sensor on a phone.

Gotta hand it to nokia. It sounds ridiculous, but the images speak for themselves.

Hang on though - thought this was a 5mp camera with some interpolation/trickery to get 41mp?

Nokia have failed to keep up as a phone manufacturer, maybe this is where they've gone wrong, spending all their time developing a great sensor :nuts:

Hang on though - thought this was a 5mp camera with some interpolation/trickery to get 41mp?

Nope - other way around....
It's a 41Mp sensor using trickery to produce a virtually noise free 5Mp image.

It's worth noting that the examples in Tim Parkins analysis have way more than 5Mp; AND are fantastically rich in detail with low noise.

The feature notes that the revolution is not just the about sensor.
It has an advanced lens system developed specifically for the sensor which is worthy of note in its own right.
Hence the amazingly crisp detail in the corners which is comparable with (or better than) the very best 35mm lenses.

The one thing they haven't talked about yet is Dynamic Range.....
Given the pixel size they must have known it would be a problem.
So if they have done any Fuji EXR style trickery with all those extra pixels then the DR may be WAY better than we are expecting.

This could get interesting.

hmmm...they've potentially come out with a groundbreaking camera system....then slapped a poo phone with a virtually obsolete operating system on it. Makes sense.

This is one of my first ventures out of the Talk Film & Conventional sections, and guess what? I am going straight back. Still message count up by one.

Nokia's way of standing out in the phone market after being overtaken by the other companies. I really wonder if anyone will get this phone just for the camera! The design of the phone itself isn't very attractive either..

Get that sensor inside a Lumia 800 (I can take a little increase in size) and I am sold. Looking forward to seeing what the low-light shots look like.

It's a complete waste of time and, as I think it was mentioned, is only for people who believe more megapixels amount to a better camera. There is no need for a 41mp mobile phone camera!! It just gives annoying people more opportunity to say their mobile is better than your £1000 DSLR. A 41mp phone is not better than, say, a Canon 5D. There's a huge difference.

Looks perfect for street photography.

Nobody is going to not buy it because it's on the wrong platform as it's essentially a camera you can make calls with. Be interesting to see how it does.

It's a complete waste of time and, as I think it was mentioned, is only for people who believe more megapixels amount to a better camera. There is no need for a 41mp mobile phone camera!! It just gives annoying people more opportunity to say their mobile is better than your £1000 DSLR. A 41mp phone is not better than, say, a Canon 5D. There's a huge difference.

I presume you haven't had time to read the Tim Parkin link yet?
The IQ may well turn out to be comparable to a 5DII with a decent prime lens strapped onto it.

Completely agree with the other posters - wish they would ditch the phone part of it.

Usually I'm very against this megapixel war, but I'll admit that sample (assuming it is a sample) is properly impressive.

As for the rest of the phone, I'm much less impressed, but as a technical innovation, full marks to Nokia!

I won't be buying the phone, but if it really does work well in the real world, I'm sure this type of sensor/lens combo will start migrating into tiny compacts with great IQ fairly soon which I'd be much more interested in!

Looks perfect for street photography.

Nobody is going to not buy it because it's on the wrong platform as it's essentially a camera you can make calls with. Be interesting to see how it does.

not sure about that....would as many people buy the iphone 4s if the ios was like using windows 3.1? doubt it.

if it's as promising and groundbreaking as it first appears is there any need to have a phone on it at all?

Won't be buying the phone but if it trickles into their Windows Phone Apollo devices it might make a nice upgrade from my Lumia 800 some day.

If this lives up to the hype I may have to eat humble pie:D
I have always believed that phone cameras were a waste of time looks like I may be mistaken !

The same images, even at 38MP, are insane.

Why on earth do Canon et al not use this technology in their cameras?

My guess would either be prohibitive costs at DSLR sensor sizes, or patent wars over it. Not to mention a lot of strain on the processing units and memory storage in RAW.

It is perfectly possible to use the technology in todays DSLRs but they need to be high resolution bodies to start with like the 5D2 or D800 (much bigger pixels = much less need to downsample to eliminate noise)

What I'd be interested to see is new noise reduction algorithms based on this technology; if a noisy pixel can be identified in downsampling and ignored, it stands to reason it can be identified and corrected with something like a local level content aware fill.

Phones that actually make calls are so 1990s.

:D

I was playing with some of the samples in Photoshop earlier today and I must admit I'm quite impressed.

Downsize them to 12 Mpx (which is about the size of file I'm used to from my Canon 5D1 and Panasonic G2) and apply a little sharpening and the detail is pretty damn good.

I can see one other advantage of the downsizing from a massive pixel count approach that's not yet been mentioned, compared with a standard 5 Mpx sensor and given the nature of a Bayer array, is that you've got more colour information to work with from several photosites in the source data and consequently less colour interpolation required to create the final pixel value.

Back