New Old Film Challenge #1 Show Us Your Best Architectural Icon Shot discussion thread.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Welcome to the first New Old Film Challenge

New Old Film Challenge 1 Show Us Your Best Architectural Icon Shot

A lot of us have a huge back catalogue of shoddy images, some of them stretching back to the 60's or in Brian's case even further I thought it might make for an interesting challenge,particularly over the winter months when the opportunities for getting a whole roll of film shot are thinner on the ground.

So this month's is best architectural icon, we've all been places and taken shots of the iconic buildings on our holidays so everyone should have something in their back catalogue.

Run along a similar line to the monthly, I use monthly in the loosest sense of the word, challenge.

Some of the same rules will apply, it will have to have been shot on film and it has to be your image, no raiding your father's/mother's/brother's etc shoe box under the bed
for that shot of a man being eaten by a lion on that safari holiday your brother won on The Golden Shot in the 70's.

As suggested by @ChrisR since there shouldn't be too much delay sorting out shots for this I would have thought that a maximum 2 weeks should be plenty of time.

And if there's anybody out there that wants to take part but doesn't have access to a scanner I'd be happy to scan the occasional negative if needed.

Closing date for entries will be Tuesday 11th November

er wot...only got some record shots of buildings but in some, no one can take the same shot today so that's something.

OK, just for Brian, Show Us Your Best Record Shot of a Building everybody else still has to Show Us Your Best Architectural Icon Shot

I suspect my shot could be represented practically the same today as church / cathedral interiors don't typically change a great deal.

Albiet 2006 isn't a long time ago anyway

I might change it yet as i know i have a beautiful old building photo somewhere that was demolished quite recently ( yes, to make room for an appartment block :() .....Question is where is that negative! :thinking:

You've put 2 up! You can have either included, not both! Your choice :D

Your da boss ;) I'll take tower bridge down as it really should go in your first shots thread...well it would be first night shot for me.

Don't think I've got any I haven't already posted :(
Does it matter?

I've posted my entry before.
Simon's right, it doesn't matter. The idea was to encourage people to dig out shots that haven't been seen for a while, I've wasted most of the day searching old negatives for the shot I had in mind and couldn't find it anywhere so had to make do with the Docklands shot. It's mainly because people would always ask if shots for the monthly challenges had to be new so it made sense to start some challenges so people could show their old shots :D

Well......I dunno, it feels like keeping a back catalogue of images to pull out the bag when a suitable thread to post them in is made.
Its not quite as bad as the usual challenges in that this thread requires you to post old work, but I'd still like to post old never seen before work.
I doesn't help that I don't scan anything anymore......lol

Raglans posted whilst I'm typing..

Well......I dunno, it feels like keeping a back catalogue of images to pull out the bag when a suitable thread to post them in is made.
Its not quite as bad as the usual challenges in that this thread requires you to post old work, but I'd still like to post old never seen before work.
I doesn't help that I don't scan anything anymore......lol

Raglans posted whilst I'm typing..
In an ideal world they would be pics dragged from the archives from the days when Brian was a lad and also shots that are new to the forum but since a lot of the time so many images get posted I sometimes miss stuff, so I'm sure that others do too.

well, I've see 5 of the 15 images already posted to this point, and enjoyed seeing 4 of them just as much as the last time (I never enjoy looking at my own pictures, I've said that often before...)

I think it's up to you to decide, and the rest of us to judge!

I'm having trouble, looking through hundreds of old shots on Aperture yesterday caused my MacBook Pro to bork, again. New motherboard last time. It seems to have re-booted, eventually, but when I try Aperture it does it again. I should rebuild the library, but last time I tried it said it would throw some "new" stuff away, and I have a wedding album for my son almost ready to order!

I'm going to try iPhoto, which reads the same library and may be less demanding...

Reactions: ped
I think there is a class action in the US about the MacBook pro and their crap graphics cards. Id shut it down and use a Hoover to suck out any dust via the vents. I also noticed my old MacBook was less rubbish after I replaced the battery and when it was running without one at all.

All worth doing the usual pram reset palava as well.

Well, I managed to keep it alive long enough to do a backup :) . Then I tried iPhoto and it froze, now I'm getting BSOD even with Safe Boot. Haven't tried the PRAM reset yet, but I think it's off the the Apple Shop in Solihull, last repair should still be in warranty...

But I'm derailing the thread, sorry.

[ETA: No idea why this Win machine has suddenly switched to italics!]

I know I didn't mention this in the original thread but since these shots are coming out of everybody's archives it would be interesting to get some background e.g. when it was taken, where, what camera was used, film, lens etc.

It's not compulsory but I think it would make the challenges a bit more interesting with the added info.

Looks like I'm out for this one sadly, as my MacBook is totally unable to boot, and certainly unable to run any photo application if I do get it going (last time it crashed on Google Maps!). It's apparently a "well known" problem affecting 2011 MacBook Pros. Logic board already replaced twice, apparently this doesn't really fix it as the replacements are dodgy. First available appointment with the "Genius" bar (spit!) is next Tuesday, after which there will undoubtedly be more downtime for the repair. :(

No further comment needed, specially not Mac-PC wars. I'm having those myself!

I'd push for a replacement that's a later model. Not fit for purpose and well known manufacturing fault. Or massive discount off a new one eg 80%

Genius Bar often hand out new machines under these circumstances especially if you got AppleCare when you bought it.

Just to get it back on topic it's a good idea to put in further info...

Just to get it back on topic it's a good idea to put in further info...

Agreed, I was thinking myself when looking through, that some shots were more interesting if you knew what/when/where about they were taken.

Well I suspect mine doesn't need much additional information but for those not familiar it is the Millennium Bridge in Newcastle. The notches on the rebate have probably already disclosed it was a Hasselblad, the film is FP4.

Luckily I got to see it go up;

Last call for those old film shots in your archive, closing tonight and there'll be a poll.

Back