New Old Film Challenge #5 Show Us Your Best Sporting Shot Entries Thread

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
New Old Film Challenge #5 Show Us Your Best Sporting Shot

So Happy New Year to one and all and welcome to the latest raid your film archive challenge, this time I want you to search the shoeboxes full of old prints and little yellow boxes of slides for your best sporting shot. You don't have to have been pitch-side at the '77 cup final it can be a shot of your kids playing ping-pong or the school egg & spoon race or even a darts match down your local. Anyway you know the type of thing.

And if there's anybody out there that wants to take part but doesn't have access to a scanner I'd be happy to scan the occasional negative if needed.

Closing date for entries will be Sunday 18th January and voting will close 3 days after that.

Alpine Bridge by The Big Yin, on Flickr

one of the few rolls of film that somehow survived from my trip to the Alps back in 1982... Practkica MTL3, 50mm lens, Fuji Reala (i think) 100, dev'ed at Boots and re-scanned about 6 years ago...

Remarkably steady really, considering I'd just crossed the damned thing myself and was shaking like a dog passing razor blades... (yes, I did clean that phrase up a little) The power of that glacial meltwater was scary - you could see boulders the size of a rucksack being rolled down the stream purely with the water pressure...

Last edited:
I work for Unilever who were one of the main sponsors of the Team Lotus F1 cars last season (Clear, Rexona and Sure brands). As part of this, we had a visit from one of their cars parked up in our Reception area for the day so luckily had my OM10/50mm 1.4 with me;

OM10 - 50/1.4 - Fuji C200 by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Shot on Fuji C200 but as I never really like the colours from it I converted to B&W.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Bit of vintage motor sport:

CB70C36_Adj by Chris R, on Flickr

22 April, 1970, taken in Sofia, Bulgaria where I was working for 4 months converting some ICL 1900 structural analysis software to work on an ICL System 4, a newly fledged 24-year-old team leader with 3 other guys for 4 months in a communist country! One day we discovered that the London to Mexico Rally was coming though Sofia the next day, and I took several shots with my Werra 1 from the Institute for Constructional Cybernetics, where we were working. This is car 22, which didn't make it to Mexico City; it was an Alfa Romeo Giulietta Super so maybe not surprising! Driven by Bob de Jong. The folder notes suggest that the film was something like "ORWO S NP20 H9", presumably an eastern bloc film that I bought while there.

Last edited:
20140123151202_scan-140123-0004.jpg

December 2013, portra 400 on the Pentax 645N with a 45mm lens. Flash, but it only syncs at 1/60, so I was pretty happy with this!

This was taken on my old Cosina CSM with an Optimax 300mm f5.6 and Konica Centuria 200Asa OOD film.

Parbold Hill Race 2010.

Nikon FM2n - XP2

well, somebody's gotta ask

what the hell did you convert it for Nick

well, somebody's gotta ask

what the hell did you convert it for Nick
Because the colours were s***ty and awful in 1985 and time hasn't done them any favours.

I'm not sure about the original colour version but I reckon the B&W version looks ace :0)

Thanks (y)

but......but.........but........hurrrr :(

85 is a vintage year, you'll be cloning out leg warmers and big hair next....:D

One of the reasons I was so disappointed with my photography back in the 70's and 80's was the s***ty film I used, I wasn't aware of the major difference between films back then. I'd used Kodachrome but that was a huge chunk out of my wages and could only afford it occasionally.

I love other peoples shots from the past, odd colours from Tudor print film always make me smile but I can't bear the stuff I shot.

Nick's replaced it with the colour version on Flickr, but it doesn't update the remote link (to stop people replacing images with naughty stuff later) so he'll have to re-embed it.

Metrosmall
by Willid1 on Talk Photography

Shot through the fence at the Birmingham Superprix - can't recall the year, Canon T90, Sigma 400mm f5.6 and probably Fuji slide film.

David

Last edited:
Well that went down well, thanks for all the likes. Next one Donnington Park Tamron 300mm f2.8 really didn't want to give that one back at the end of the day. T90 again and probably Fuji slide.

Image is not cropped, shot on the pit straight, standing opposite the pits

Ooops, didn't read the first post properly.

Image removed :)

David

Last edited:
Nice image, David, though it's missed the boat for the actual voting (and we only get to put one image up in these challenges... although we can replace if we like).

Back