New Sony Alpha's being launched next Weds....

Edit My Images
Yes
To wet your appetites, just got wind of the new Sony's are being launched next week (Weds)

A new A850 and a new A950 I think with the new exmor processor for great low light performance. Look out for the announcement......(y)

Pete.

I was very impressed with the Sony A900, so will be looking out for the A950 with interest :)

I was very impressed with the Sony A900, so will be looking out for the A950 with interest :)

Superb camera with some clever features. The new 'beast' could be up there with current classics I think, from what I have been told.

We have been invited to Sony head office on Wednesday so it will definitely be happening.

I should get a hands on so I will let you know what I think.

Stuart

We have been invited to Sony head office on Wednesday so it will definitely be happening.

I should get a hands on so I will let you know what I think.

Stuart

Let me know if you are taking pre-orders on this. I can't guarantee I will be 100% committed, as the D700x should be out soon, but I imagine Nikon will mug us on price and it'll be twice the price of the A950 I reckon..!

Let me know if you are taking pre-orders on this. I can't guarantee I will be 100% committed, as the D700x should be out soon, but I imagine Nikon will mug us on price and it'll be twice the price of the A950 I reckon..!

Well, Nikon have said to start lowering the price of the D3 to clear the decks, so I would assume a D4 / D800 'could' be looming.....:thinking: but it seems to soon, though I supppose consumer demand for MP has changed the average 22 month turnaround on a camera's shelf life....

Well, Nikon have said to start lowering the price of the D3 to clear the decks, so I would assume a D4 / D800 'could' be looming.....:thinking: but it seems to soon, though I supppose consumer demand for MP has changed the average 22 month turnaround on a camera's shelf life....

The D3 price cut is more likely to be due to a D3s than a D4.

Buffer upgrade as standard, and the silly video feature I'd guess?

If it is true and the low light will be much improved i can see this really upsetting the applecart in canon and nikon land

If it is true and the low light will be much improved i can see this really upsetting the applecart in canon and nikon land

Actually the low light problem of the A900 is over-hyped. While there is noise encroaching much past 800, printing is excellent, and an A3 print contains more detail than an D700 when both are at ISO1600.

The danger of pixel peeping on a monitor vs. real life use.

You sound like you like the A900 , but you shoot Nikon? Was that a decision based on lens choice or similar?

Be interesting to see if Sony try to have a go at the sports market. It's traditionally a shopwindow for the two big boys so can see the attraction for someone trying to break the duopoly.

You sound like you like the A900 , but you shoot Nikon? Was that a decision based on lens choice or similar?

The body is amazing. Lovely files, lovely viewfinder. Lens choice (or price!) of the CZ optics I wanted was the main problem. Given my (excellent) Nikon glass, justifying another £2.5k for the CZ 16-35 / 24-70 was a call I decided not to make.

wonder if the 500/4 is being launched at the same time (although I heard a rumour that it had been delayed yet again)?
also the 28-75mm SAM.

Thats just going to be a re-badged Tamron 28-75mm?

Didn't KM do that already?
supposedly but it will have an internal motor (probably micro) for AF rather than screw drive.
The KM of course was screw drive but iirc it wasn't a straight badge - there were some improvements (as there is in e.g. the Sony 18-250mm compared to the Tamron 18-250).

Fills a gap for a mid-price, mid-range FF zoom in the Sony range - suggestion is that it may well be the kit lens for the A850?

I'd have no problem with the 28-75 if it came with Tamron genetics.

The Tammy 28-75 is an awesome optic.

I'd have no problem with the 28-75 if it came with Tamron genetics.

The Tammy 28-75 is an awesome optic.

Just read a review of it and it does seem to be a very very good lens , fixed F2.8 and its only just over £300 , whats tha catch?

P.S This lens can be used with a full frame camera cant it?

This lens must be the bargain of the century then surely. Why would someone want to pay £1000+ for a branded 24-70 when for less thasn half that they can have this (and the review said sharpness was better than the canon 50mm)

This lens must be the bargain of the century then surely. Why would someone want to pay £1000+ for a branded 24-70 when for less thasn half that they can have this (and the review said sharpness was better than the canon 50mm)

If you get a nice sharp copy of a Tamron 28-75mm you do wonder sometimes. ;)

it's the usual law of diminishing returns - yes, the Zeiss 24-70mm is better (& heavier) but no, it's not 3-4x as good.
Some people though either need or simply want the best.

Similarly the Tamron 55-200mm has no right being as good as it is for the price that it often goes for.

As soon as its announced we can start taking pre orders. I dont like taking deposits so just names and phone numbers is all we need.

As TP members you wont pay SRP with me ;)

I was doing a little dig around on P&S cameras recently as the wife is in the market for a new one. Looks like Exmoor R is in some of the newer models, and is marketed as having better low light performance because the sensor is effectively flipped over (so light doesn't have to travel through the electronics before hitting the business part).

According to 'Photo Rumors', not a site I've seen before (http://photorumors.com/2009/05/31/sony-alpha-800-dslr/), there is some info on the A800 (is that already out?):

- 16.2MP full frame sensor exmor R (new technology)
- 100-25600 ISO
- 8 frame/sec
- SSI, same a900 OVF, new AF system,
- GPS and WiFi built-in
- 3.5 in. LCD display
- Pop-up flash
- Flash sync (1/500)
- Camera level
- 23 AF sensors
- Quick Live View
- Video Full HD
- Dust/splashes sealed
- Aluminum-magnesium alloy body
- Released early September, 2009

That's some machine if accurate. Built-in GPS and wi-fi would be great. I've never actually used a Sony alpha, so don't know how I'd find it compared to my D700, but must admit this does look like my dream machine. Not wild about those lens prices though!

I was doing a little dig around on P&S cameras recently as the wife is in the market for a new one. Looks like Exmoor R is in some of the newer models, and is marketed as having better low light performance because the sensor is effectively flipped over (so light doesn't have to travel through the electronics before hitting the business part).

According to 'Photo Rumors', not a site I've seen before (http://photorumors.com/2009/05/31/sony-alpha-800-dslr/), there is some info on the A800 (is that already out?):

- 100-25600 ISO
- 8 frame/sec
- GPS and WiFi built-in
- 3.5 in. LCD display
- Pop-up flash
- Flash sync (1/500)
- Camera level
- 23 AF sensors
- Quick Live View
- Video Full HD
- Dust/splashes sealed

That's some machine if accurate. Built-in GPS and wi-fi would be great. I've never actually used a Sony alpha, so don't know how I'd find it compared to my D700, but must admit this does look like my dream machine. Not wild about those lens prices though!

If those specs are true - especially the sensor, that could be awesome.

- 100-25600 ISO
- 8 frame/sec
- GPS and WiFi built-in
- 3.5 in. LCD display
- Pop-up flash
- Flash sync (1/500)
- Camera level
- 23 AF sensors
- Quick Live View
- Video Full HD
- Dust/splashes sealed

think that you'll find that this is something plucked out of thin air.
The A850 is expected to be a slightly cut down A900 but perhaps with some processing upgrades.
Next Wednesday all hopefully will be revealed ...

The lens prices really aren't that uncompetitive when you factor in the stabilisation side of things & the Zeisses & recent Gs are very, very good.

Note that the new Sonys have had the IS switch removed from the body as customer research noted that 8 out of 10 consumers tried to turn the camera on with said switch and it was noted at Focus as well when cameras were on demo....

It is now electronic and I expect the new bodies to follow suit.

If this new Exmor sensor is as good as Sony are saying then we could be in for game changing cameras - like the D3 was. Lets wait and see, but the question is how long will Sony supply Nikon if the sensor is that good and would they need to, unless locked into a contract....:thinking:

Of course, Canon are working on a similar sensor tech too so expect 25,000 ISO pictures to be clean as a whilstle one day....

Note that the new Sonys have had the IS switch removed from the body as customer research noted that 8 out of 10 consumers tried to turn the camera on with said switch and it was noted at Focus as well when cameras were on demo....

It is now electronic and I expect the new bodies to follow suit.
it's menu based on the new A2xx & A3xx.

If this new Exmor sensor is as good as Sony are saying then we could be in for game changing cameras - like the D3 was. Lets wait and see, but the question is how long will Sony supply Nikon if the sensor is that good and would they need to, unless locked into a contract....:thinking:

Supposedly backlit sensors won't see the same improvement on DSLR sized sensors as those for P+S.

Nikon are probably Sony's largest customer for sensors & the sensor manufacturing division & the photo division are different business units within Sony.
I doubt that they are going to do anything to upset Nikon (ever noticed how Nikon & Sony's DSLRs don't really go head to head ...?).

it's menu based on the new A2xx & A3xx.

Supposedly backlit sensors won't see the same improvement on DSLR sized sensors as those for P+S.

Nikon are probably Sony's largest customer for sensors & the sensor manufacturing division & the photo division are different business units within Sony.
I doubt that they are going to do anything to upset Nikon (ever noticed how Nikon & Sony's DSLRs don't really go head to head ...?).

Yes thats right. Lets hope the new bodies are not as shocking as the 230 and 380....

Slight update.

Spoke to SONY today.

THREE (3) new Cameras coming with the Exmor processor next week.

Sure: P&S > Crop > FF, but depending on pixel count too and assuming the wiring etc isn't vastly different, so a (new) higher res FF camera with the new sensor might benefit well.

Back