New to Portraits Need Help

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

I was recently asked by a friend's parents if I new anyone who could do some portrait photography at their daughters 18th. I helped as best I could but also offered my services if they couldn't find anyone else. I explained that I hadn't done it before but wanted to try my hand at it to expand my knowledge and skill set. After discussions with the parents of the birthday Girl I agreed to take the pictures that they wanted as much for my own experience as it is to capture the event which they were happy with.

The room that we have to use for the portraits isn't the biggest, they are after full lenght portrait pictures as well as head and shoulder shots. Having been and done a few tests in the room at 24mm i can get a full body portrait but can't go any more than that otherwise i start chopping parts off. However as I only have the 18-55mm kit lens, when i go to 55 i get from the waist up when ideally i want to be able to get head and shoulders.

I have thought about hiring a lens for the weekend and am after some advice / opinions on which lens or if indeed I need to hire a lens.

The options are :

15-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM - Would give me the extra reach to enable the head and shoulders shots
15-55 F2.8 - I realise this would give me the same problem as my kit lens of not being cloe enough for head and shoulders but could move the tripod closer???
24-70 F2.8 L - Would give the extra reach but would possibly limit on size of group for full portrait
24-105 F4 L - As above but with extra reach.

Am also going to take shots from the main hall where the Disco will be so will ideally use the same lens in there as well. I also have 2 lights and a backdrop that I am borrowing for the event.

All comments and opinions greatfully received.

Nick

You don't say what camera you're using.

The sweet point for portraits is between 35mm - 85mm on a full frame sensor to avoid distortion.

I have to be honest - it's a really big task for someone if they don't know what they're doing with portraits generally. Are you really confident that you can manage? I don't mean to sound catty, but I think both yourself and the people you're doing it for, are underestimating how much work will be involved.

The Camera is a Canon 50D.

I have done it before but not "properly" just the odd little bit here and there and they have usually been outside whilst with friends, this would be the first time with lighting. My dad is also helping out and has more experience with doing portraits so between us we are confident we can manage.

Yeah we have the lights already as Dad is storing them for the local camera club and we are trying to see if we can book out a studio at the local college where my dad is currently doing a photography course.

Anyone have any views on the lens options?

I'd go with one of the L lenses on your list (may as well rent the best!), the 24-70 f2.8 would be good for both and you can just move in closer for those head shots if you're worried about losing the distance over the 24-105. The lower aperature would be handy in the darkness of the main hall too.

However as I only have the 18-55mm kit lens, when i go to 55 i get from the waist up when ideally i want to be able to get head and shoulders.

This may seem a little obvious, but you can zoom with your feet ;)

This
24-70 F2.8 L

gives you a good all round option, especially for low light. Then for group portraits switch to the kit lens and use 18mm, you're using flash for these, so can shoot at f8-13 happily and do not need the larger aperture to allow for the low light which you will need for the disco shots. ;)

Be warned that once you've tried any of the 2.8 lenses, you'll want to buy one.

24-70 2.8 L without a question. Shoot as long as you can with that lens and you'll be fine.

Yeah we have the lights already as Dad is storing them for the local camera club and we are trying to see if we can book out a studio at the local college where my dad is currently doing a photography course.

Anyone have any views on the lens options?

Just curious Nick, but is it Leighton Buzzard Camera Club you're dad is storing the lights for?

Thanks for the advice. It is Leighton Buzzard Camera Club, not sure if storing is the right word but they do seem to spend a lot of time here.

I'll make sure to post some of the results after the event (not until the end of feb)

Thanks once again you've all been most helpful

Nick

also try out a 35mm f2 perfect wide open aperture and should be good enough for wide full length shots, the 50mm f1.8 will be a good snap shot lens where you can just constantly shoot. images from the 24-70mm look a dream so that could be best option but just remember there not looking for quality images they want memories so get the tools right for the job.

if it was me on a budget of £1000 for exaple i'd get;

canon 35mm f2
canon 50mm f1.8
tamron 28-75mm f2.8
canon 430ex II flashgun along with a stofen diffuser for it.

Back