New to printing a3

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just purchased a can Canon Pixma Pro 100 to print some of my photos

Now I am a bit confused about what size I actually print as the image is 3 by 2, so a3 is a aspect ration of 1.42 not 1.5

I want to mount my images in 20 x 16 photo frames. The mounts aperture size I have seen are 16.06 or 408mm x 11.2 or 285mm so again the wrong proportion, which seems odd as a3 is 16.5 x 11.7

So what size do I actually print my image as?

Personally, when printing for an aperture mount, I allow a mm or 2 extra at each end and top/bottom then print it on A3 paper (or A3+) to avoid any bare white paper showing when the print's mounted.

You can print it at any size you want - just trim the paper afterwards.

20x16" will look odd for 3:2 or A3 images. It is 5:4 ratio. 16x12" image would work. There aren't many decent ready made frames in the sizes you want out there. I would think a trip to a framer may be on the cards.

For *personal* projects I found that charity shop pictures may come in beautiful and clean frames, but I would never buy any new sub £20-25 frame from a chain store again. Customer orders go to the best framer you know.

Hi Carl - just getting to grips with my 100.
I run my printing from Lightroom - it allows me to set the size of print regardless of the paper size used.
Hope that helps
cheers, cw
Normally, however make sure you don't set the printer to fine art paper, this will add usually a 35mm restriction on each edge.

Hi Carl - just getting to grips with my 100.
I run my printing from Lightroom - it allows me to set the size of print regardless of the paper size used.
Hope that helps
cheers, cw

What do you mean by this Chris?

Print size is controlled by setting an appropriate ppi valie (whether in Photoshop, Lightroom) normally shown in your printer driver too.

Ah ok. Yes that works well for home printing.

How do people find the Canon Pixma Pro 100 I'm currently considering an A3 printer, as in our club I enter prints into the clubs league competitions and currently one of the the other members prints and mounts them for £4 a time whihc I think is a brilliant price but it does mean if I can not decide if a picture looks ok in B&W or colour I need to have both printed.

I was looking at the 9000 MKii but can only find used ones which concern me as they may not have been looked after and they are going for silly money, so I'm considering the Pro 100.

i have just bought the pro 100 and i am setting it up now ,so will let you know later on what i think about it ,
to the others that have this printer is says leave 10" behind the printer, is this really necessary as where my printer is there is a wall behind and i have left enough room for the paper tray to lean against the wall, will this be ok

I have a Pro100 but it's still in the box waiting for me to run my old printer out of ink! There's a member here who's recently set his up but he's currently a few hundred miles North of home so can't tell us if the 10" gap is necessary. I have a feeling that the 10" could be something to do with CD printing but I'm not sure so don't take my word for it. I'm hoping that the gap isn't necessary in everyday use but can do some reorganization if needed to allow it.

i have just bought the pro 100 and i am setting it up now ,so will let you know later on what i think about it ,
to the others that have this printer is says leave 10" behind the printer, is this really necessary as where my printer is there is a wall behind and i have left enough room for the paper tray to lean against the wall, will this be ok
This is how I have it set up and seems to work fine. Iam very pleased with it.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but my question doesn't seem worth a new thread. I've framed my first A3 prints (from Peak rather than home printed) in frames and mounts from IKEA. They were quite hard to mount as the prints are only a tiny bit larger than the hole in the mount. They looked OK in the end, but I had to move the frames and they have slipped, and it's proving very hard to get them back in place.

I'm guessing I should have fixed them in place somehoe, rather than rely on friction, but the main point of this originally was to print new images regularly and replace in the frames. What's the best approach?

Backing board. Stick the print to the board and then mount the image.

Framing tape? I'm guessing this is an easily removable tape...

Masking tape

Great, thanks Jim and Andy.

Back