New York City HDR's

Terry, I love HDR also and yours (with one or two minor exceptions) are very good example

That's a great set:)

I'm not a big fan of HDR, but it works really well for the interior shots and they are very tastefully done.

Question: What focal lengths were the majority of these shots - i.e. what lens?
I'm going to New York in a few weeks time and was just curious as to what focal length you used most.

Cheers for the comments :) I've checked the pics on several different displays and realised the saturation is different on every one :(

Most if not all of these are taken with a sigma 10-20mm, I bought it especially for my trip and used it a lot. You definitely need a wide angle out there.

I'm not usually a fan of HDR but I really really like this set!

Especially the Library, Grand Central Station and the ferry terminal. I think most Anti-HDR people on here will look at these twice and actually appreciate them.

brilliant job... the only bit i don't like is the foreground water on the Brookyn Bridge shot, but with the glistening range it'd be a tough one to get it any different.
Composition on all of them is great.. loving the low shooting position to give emphasis to the towering city around you.

The Times Square shot is the killer for me... hang it.. and hang it big (y)

Some nice examples there, personally I like the Staten Island Ferry shot - the 10-20 is a great fun lens.

Great set, and not too overcooked.

Did you use 3 or more exposures?

Lbm said:
Great set, and not too overcooked.

Did you use 3 or more exposures?

They're all 3 exposures +/-2ev apart. The outdoor ones probably could have benefited with 5 but I didn't have a proper tripod with me and didn't want to risk too much movement.

Love these!! What did you process them with? I've tried in CS5 and Photomatix, but just cant achieve anything like these.

Great photos! (y) Great place.:)
Brought back memories of trip there last year. Want to go back and take photos with my dslr.

Love these!! What did you process them with? I've tried in CS5 and Photomatix, but just cant achieve anything like these.

I did the tonemapping in Photomatix and then imported into Lightroom and made some adjustments.

NYC is a fantastic place for photography, I want to go back already!

I really like your compositions on alot of these shots but I've got to say I'd like to see them more sensitively processed they are generally way to cooked for me but as with everything it's all about individual taste and style. The thing I do like is that the majority of these would be great shots even without the in your face processing so at least your not trying to compensate with the HDR effect.

Sorry, I know there aren't many fans of HDR on this forum but I love em, unless they make me feel like I'm at a rave! Anyway, here's some from my NYC holiday. Let the flaming begin :p

I kinda disagree, there seems to be a lot more fans of HDR on TP than most forums (or photography forums that I visit anyway), as a processing technique it's generally died a natural death on most forums, but of course, there are always the die hard fans :)

Like most photographers, I consider HDR the work of the devil, and these images reflect the inherent problems of HDR, apart from the bleached shadows, you have significant halos and some CA.

Another problem with HDR shots, the actual composition often gets lost in the discussion around process (like what did you process them with, how many exposures etc)

Saying that, these are first class compositions, you have a good abstract, slightly quirky eye for what works, which is very appealing, even if the processing isn't :)

Yeh, I know technically these are far from perfect, but then I knew I wouldn't be able to achieve that as I'm quite new to all this. I hate halo's as well and its one of the first things I try to get rid off but I find it really difficult without affecting other areas. I know they aren't subtle and probably a little overcooked as I was compensating for other areas :LOL:

Looking at some of them on my work monitor they look a bit dark but then its impossible to process for every display out there. I'm pretty happy with them and I guess thats what matters most but might make a few more adjustments on them.

Yeh, I know technically these are far from perfect, but then I knew I wouldn't be able to achieve that as I'm quite new to all this. I hate halo's as well and its one of the first things I try to get rid off but I find it really difficult without affecting other areas. I know they aren't subtle and probably a little overcooked as I was compensating for other areas :LOL:

Looking at some of them on my work monitor they look a bit dark but then its impossible to process for every display out there. I'm pretty happy with them and I guess thats what matters most but might make a few more adjustments on them.

Put up the same set with a really conservative HDR effect, just for comparison I reckon side by side you'll be surprised how much nicer the subtle set look.

Great work Terry, as with many on here I'm not a fan of HDR in general but I like the use of it in your series. It's subtle enough to appreciate the shot and definitely adds to the atmosphere for the interiors.

Back