Newcastle quayside at night

Edit My Images
No
EOGC4O7.jpg

Last edited:
Nice composition and location but you IMHO need the river to be still to pull it off.

I prefer the reflection to be slightly blurred rather than a perfect mirror-like reflection so this works well for me. Guided into the photo by the converging light reflections, good detail on the bridges and well exposed.

I prefer the reflection to be slightly blurred rather than a perfect mirror-like reflection so this works well for me. Guided into the photo by the converging light reflections, good detail on the bridges and well exposed.

A reflection needs to IMHO reflect the detail, or most of it from the subjject.This image is technically fine but would so with a crop due to the dead space in the water...

Heres the difference

_DSC0722 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

I really like it, the reflected light is good and adds interest to the water and the lack of detail does not detract from the image.

Now @ST4 is a master of the reflection as can be seen in the example he posted, which is an excellent image. But I feel there is place for both images in anyones portfolio

I agree that the original image needed a crop because of the 'dead' water. I hadn't noticed that.

Steve, your image is very good viewed as a whole. It makes it a completely different image but I would still prefer just a wee bit of blur. I don't know why. I just do. :)

Reactions: ST4
I agree that the original image needed a crop because of the 'dead' water. I hadn't noticed that.

Steve, your image is very good viewed as a whole. It makes it a completely different image but I would still prefer just a wee bit of blur. I don't know why. I just do. :)

Thanks, I am a sucker for reflections. I wouldn't take an image like that in choppy water. But most of my work features still water as I love it so much.

There is some blur to it...look under the bridge, its slightly blurred

Now this is still...reflected lightburst which is rare

_DSC2837 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

Last edited:
There is some blur to it...look under the bridge, its slightly blurred

There is. I now give my official seal of approval to this image too. :)

It's interesting to see other shots of the bridge and how reflection completely changes the image. Not always for the better and not always for the worse. From a distance Trekmeister's photo is immediately recognisible as the bridge whereas Steve's is perhaps not which might draw the viewer in to look more carefully to see what it is.

Reactions: ST4
There is. I now give my official seal of approval to this image too. :)

It's interesting to see other shots of the bridge and how reflection completely changes the image. Not always for the better and not always for the worse. From a distance Trekmeister's photo is immediately recognisible as the bridge whereas Steve's is perhaps not which might draw the viewer in to look more carefully to see what it is.

Mine you get two for the price of one...

I find it fills the frame more, and somehow looks more restful, yet more dramatic and futuristic.

Anyhow, Newcastle Quayside, you just cannot go wrong

Awesome. It's a great sight to see. Was there last weekend and wish I had my camera with me!

? ST4 it is his post and original is image is gone
it ok to comment and say the image has to show the reflection by having still water
but NOT everyone likes full reflections
there was nothing wrong with his original image
now the topic has been change why ?
your comments are welcome but it looks like it has ruined his original post and he removed his pic

sorry t o be negative

? ST4 it is his post and original is image is gone
it ok to comment and say the image has to show the reflection by having still water
but NOT everyone likes full reflections
there was nothing wrong with his original image
now the topic has been change why ?
your comments are welcome but it looks like it has ruined his original post and he removed his pic

sorry t o be negative

I agree, the loss of the original is rather disappointing and maybe because of the comments??

However, it is still on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/nadaman/16616905654/

if anyone wishes to make their own judgement, and I agree that there is room for both pictures.

After all, the Tyne is never still when I have been there and the original shot manages to capture/express this feature well.

I agree, the loss of the original is rather disappointing and maybe because of the comments??

However, it is still on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/nadaman/16616905654/

if anyone wishes to make their own judgement, and I agree that there is room for both pictures.

After all, the Tyne is never still when I have been there and the original shot manages to capture/express this feature well.

Sorry guys I did a very slight crop (as per suggestions above) to the original image and I wonder if this broke the original link. I had no idea it had been removed from the topic. I have no problem with coments otherwise I wouldnt have posted in the first place. I know I have room for improvement, I am very critical of my photos which makes me more determined to improve. Ive placed the image on Imgur as I am having problems posting a direct link using flickr (Thanks for the heads up Paul).

Last edited:
Back