Next step up from a D3200

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
No
I currently have a d3200 which I LOVE. Have some fantastic photos with it but it lacks a little functionality and I was thinking of an upgrade. Pretty set on the d7100 but wondered if there was anything else worth considering. Would only be looking at Nikon as I have lenses flash etc.

Not really it has a slightly better af system with more megapixel sensor with no aa filter.
Do you have lenses?

To be perfectly honest very little. It is a very good camera for the price. Inability to use the on camera flash as a flash controller is the main one. Other than that a few niggly things. Was going to keep the d3200 as a back up

So would you recommend the d7000 over the d7100. Dont want to give it 6 month then want an upgrade

If youve set your heart on the 7100 then go for it, its basically a better d7000 but does cost twice as much.

I think I will have to check a few online reviews. To be honest I hadn't even considered the d7000. Thank you all for the help.

Not really it has a slightly better af system with more megapixel sensor with no aa filter.
Do you have lenses?

You misses better body, better screen, better processor also.. plus few more bits. .... its a far better body

i just bought a new d7000 today, a bit daunting controls wise from my d3000 but ive played with it for a couple hours so far and love it.. cant believe the quality difference :)

I went from D7000 to D7100 and have no regrets. The difference in the AF system is worth it alone. Better sensor, better LCD screen.
Although the button layout is very similar the addition of the I button is a nice feature and once you get used to the lock button on the top dials, it's a good addition.
Low light performance for me was about one stop better than the D7000.
You have upgrades that can be found in the D4 in this camera.

The performance is just so much better for me...hope this helps.

Cant see the point in investing in a D7000 now, its over 2 years old, i had one and it was a good camera but its AF performance left a lot to be desired. I'd go for the D7100 which is meant to be a much better AF tool.

The fact that the d7000 is a fair bit cheaper and is still a very good camera, perhaps? That's like saying that any purchase of anything other than the top of the range camera is pointless...

It usually comes down to cost for alot of people. It certainly has for me anyway.

I have the D7000 and if you are set on getting another cropped sensor body, I'd say jump to the D7100. Quite a lot more expensive than the D7000 but it would be my body of choice if I was to get another cropped body.

Either way, the D7xxx bodies are much better than the D3xxx/D5xxx.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the controls are much better. The 2 dials (front and rear) make light work of adjusting ISO, aperture and shutter speed. That said, I do think the latest Nikon D3xxx and D5xxx bodies are very good and push the limits of the cheaper end of the market.

Agreed. I've gone from a d3100 to a D7000 and haven't noticed a whole lot of difference in image quality.

I'd probably go d7100 if I could afford / justify it if I was doing this over again.

Back