Next step up from a D60? D200?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I've owned my D60 for a couple of months but am already thinking of selling it and upgrading to something better, preferably with more than 3 focus points and definitely with a motor in the body.

Am I right in thinking that this would be the D200? I'd love a D90 but this is out of my price range, I'm thinking I could get slightly more than £200 for my D60 with less than 1000 actuations, and only really want to spend an extra £200 on a replacement.

Got a d60 myself keep thinking to upgrade for off camera stuff + higher iso but for now better glass + learn how better to use it.Focus points you might not find more usefull?composition perhaps.inbody motor+ points D80 used around 300quid of D70 cheaper still maybe hold on to what you got spend on glass for now?

maybe hold on to what you got spend on glass for now?

Already done that, bought two new lenses recently and will also buy an 85mm prime regardless, but would love something to allow me to AF on the 50 I already have and the 85 when I get it.

I went from a D70s to a D200,the difference in build quality and AF performance was great. However,having now got a D300, the high ISO on the D200 is pretty poor in comparison to the 300.

I still use my 200 a lot,some of its features are better than the 300,some are worse.Saying that, I still use my 70s as well...........:)

All in all the D200 is a very good camera and why they sell for so little is quite baffling.The inbuilt motor would open up different avenues for lenses for you,they are very solid and would last you years,unless you are a gear whore.

I'm very tempted by the D90, but it may just be out of my reach. I'll have a look and see what prices they're going for 2nd hand.

I have d90 and d60, I tried the (11?) point focussing on the D90 but gave up as it alway s seemed to choose the closet item, which wasnt always what I wanted. Both cameras are now locked on the single central focus point, so I focus on the subject I want, then reframe whilst holding the shutter.

Its all about learning to use what you have to full advantage, but I would say the D90 is a very BIG upgrade on the D60, the focussing is far faster and more certain and the high ISO is superb, but I wouldnt upgrade just for the extra focussing points......

It's not just for the extra focus points, it's mainly about the lenses and the need for better high ISO performance, but I do feel limited by the three focus points I have with the D60.

The D200 is excellent, very nice body.

I do reckon the D60 has better image quality though, it certainly has better per-pixel-sharpness (weaker AA filter) and its always struck me that itss probably about 1/2 a stop better at ISO1600 as well.

I personally prefer D60 image quality around base ISO to the D300 - cleaner skies for a start. Higher ISO the D300 is a bit better than the D60, and a bit better again over the D200.

D200 is a super camera, but you might find the IQ a small backward step from the D60.

I'd go for the D90 mate, I had a D70 and upgraded to a D200, then Changed again to a D90. I'm much happier with the D90 over the 200. I'm no pro or ever will be but even I found the D90 performed much better than the D200 and was a better camera for my ability (or lack of it) and use.

Thanks for the feedback, I've knocked the idea of a D200 on the head now, I'd love a D90, there don't seem to be many second hand ones about though, which I guess is testament to the camera itself.

D200 = great bargain. I went from a D40x to a D200 and love it! Hold the D90 then a D200 and you'll feel the difference (although sure, the ISO performance of the D200 isn't brilliant, but you can work round it usually)

Natural progression will be to a D300, but am still waiting to see if and when prices start to drop some more...

Back