Next upgrade...

Name
Sophie
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I am still fairly new to photography. I purchased a Canon 1000D about 2 years ago just to see how I got on with a half decent, basic SLR. I had the standard 18-55mm lens and a Sigma 70-300mm with UV and Polarised filters. I managed to get some good shots with it (espeically once edited :LOL:) but I really want something with a bit more oomph! Better colour depth and just overall better image quality.

I am on a budget and looking to spend around £350-£400 (with a lens). I have my eye on Nikon, either the D5100 or D3200. I understand the D3200 has a truer resolution because of the 24.2 megapixels, but I know that's not everything! The D5100 swivel screen doesnt excite me but it's cheaper.

Any suggestions for a newbie? :)

Thanks

I understand if you want to change brands but It would make more sense to just build on your lens collection or save for a 650d or even a 60d? most of the modern cameras are basically the same when it comes to image quality its just the added features that some brands offer that makes them different. In fact the lens is the major factor in image quality.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I know its all in the lens really, but i was hoping to get a newer body aswell. The 1000D is about 5 years old now.

I usually take images of scenery and nature so if I was to get a new lens, I would ideally want a macro one for good close ups and one that's good overall for landscape and scenery.

You may be disappointed with a new camera Tootz. For a noticeable boost to image quality the answer is a) really good lens, b) a larger sensor, eg full-frame, or c) both.

Your 1000D is a budget model, but the sensor is good and while things have moved on a bit in five years, maybe not that much. However, I think that camera was sold with the most basic kit lens, ie the non-IS version 18-55, and that's not great.

My choice would be the Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, though that's a bit over budget. 15-85 is also excellent and cheaper (used?) with great range, but is only f/3.5-5.6. There are cheaper options, maybe better value, but not quite as good.

A new lens is probably the best way forward now, then a newer camera later.

One more thing, get the 50mm f1.8 its only around £80 new which it cheap for a lens and its a really good prime as well as getting you to think more creatively.

Sophie, stick with the canon 1000 and look towards canon L series lens or something of similar IQ from the other lens manufacturers. My wifes uses a 350D and she gets some stunning images when she puts my canon 70-200mm f4L and that body is circa 2005 with a mere 8 million pixels.

Last edited:
Ok thank you for all of your replies.

Ill take your advice and stick with my Canon and just invest in a better lens for now. I do have a good basic kit, ive lost a little motivation with my photography and I think I was hoping a new camera might kickstart it again!

Ok thank you for all of your replies.

Ill take your advice and stick with my Canon and just invest in a better lens for now. I do have a good basic kit, ive lost a little motivation with my photography and I think I was hoping a new camera might kickstart it again!

It probably would, they just do - something new to get you going again. There's often not a great deal of logic to it, but if you just need a shot in the arm then don't be afraid to admit it. It usually works ;)

Note: good lenses hold their value very well. Buy a decent used one, and you can sell for what you paid. Classified forum on here is excellent for buying and selling, when you qualify.

Cameras depreciate like a stud with gonorrhoea. You can pick up some real bargains though.

I went from a Canon 500D to a Nikon D3200 and the improvement was massive, whether that was due to the change of lens (used a Canon kit lens and 50mm f1.8, then went for the Nikon kit lens and 35mm f1.8) or not im not sure. I did improve as a photographer though and I definitely think having something new really helped, certainly motivated me to go out there and see what it can do. I really rate the D3200, I think its a great camera and wouldnt hesitate to buy one again should I want another DSLR, despite it being aimed at beginners with a good lens (35mm f1.8) I got some stunning images, I dont know whether it was the lenses or the DSLR though.

Back