nice letter from Canon ( reply ) +

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
Letters have been sent to jessops and finance company ....... still awaiting reply .............. :cautious:

in the mean time we phoned Canon and asked WHY the 5D had failed ...... :help:

Answer ! .. "we just don't know !............ "it's tough luck !! ...

it can happen ....was the answer !.. :LOL:

" If it had failed 2 months after the guarantee then we might have fixed it ...
Great response Canon ..:(............you would have thought JESSOPS built the 5d :clap:

so any problems are jessops fault ............. No bl**dy wonder these company are in trouble ........... Canon sold a faulty camera to a middle man ... Canon make a profit ......... the middle man gets stung .... :bang:

And we the customer have to fight to get it sorted out ............ Now 3 weeks in ........... i still have a camera sat with Canon ..

Rog :thumbsdown:

Wasn't this on another thread?
Actually I do sympathise, It must be very frustrating to have to deal with this. But legally Jessops are the one you bought it from and they're responsible even if they say you'll have to deal with Canon. I'd be looking at the small claims court by now.

Not sure canon sold anyone a faulty camera is its been ok for the last 2 years,mk mk2 shutter failed at just under 40000 and was a year out of warranty and I had to pay.
I tried to get them to fit a new one for free quoting it should last 200000 with not a lot of joy other than a reduced price for the job.

I've asked this beofre and never received a satisfactory answer - where do Canon state the a shutter should last for so many actuations?

TBH the response from Canon isn't surprising at all - as said it's Jessops that needs to pay Canon to fix the camera.

Obviously a frustrating situation, however the replies are correct. I f you purchased a pair of shoes that you would expect to last a while and the stitching came apart or the heel fell off, what would you do? Take them back to the shop or send them back to Taiwan where they were made? :shrug:

Not sure canon sold anyone a faulty camera is its been OK for the last 2 years,Mk Mk shutter failed at just under 40000 and was a year out of warranty and I had to pay.
I tried to get them to fit a new one for free quoting it should last 200000 with not a lot of joy other than a reduced price for the job.

To be honest if they had said we will meet you half way and shown some good will i would have been happy ..

I've asked this before and never received a satisfactory answer - where do Canon state the a shutter should last for so many actuations?
Not sure on that ... i have seen it written somewhere .. but 6000 is nothing ..

TB the response from Canon isn't surprising at all - as said it's Jes sops that needs to pay Canon to fix the camera.

i know it is down to jess ops to fix ... if they will .... but after 6000 actions and the answer from canon of ... it's just tough luck :shrug: .. is disappointing ..

Obviously a frustrating situation, however the replies are correct. I f you purchased a pair of shoes that you would expect to last a while and the stitching came apart or the heel fell off, what would you do? Take them back to the shop or send them back to Taiwan where they were made? :shrug:
:Lil: ... Well i have never been to Taiwan so that would be quite nice ....

no i know what you are saying .. and along with everyone else ... Just wouldn't really cost em much to repair it .. I know they can't repair every Camera that drops on the mat , but if it is obvious it is a defect in their camera then maybe they could have sorted it .... After all they are the ones who said in their letter we will see what is wrong and see if we can fix it under goodwill .. As they could not say why it had failed , just to say on the phone it's tough luck .. and that is the words they used i found very disappointing ..
but maybe just me being stupid .. and anyone else would just have said .. oh well never mind .. (y)

Well there are are two schools of thought on these things I suppose.
I had a Microsoft force feedback wheel once and one of the springs broke in it, about 4yrs old and had been hammered. Phoned Microsoft and explained, and asked if I could get a new spring sent to me.Their reply was no it is not possible, but if you give me your address details I shall send you a replacement and a postage paid box to return the old one :clap::clap: I had an HP printer that broke once, turned out it was the circuit board at fault, printer was just outside a year old, it had never been used heavily and was way under the expected lifespan that HP quoted on their website. Would they do anything about it? Would they as hell like :shrug:

Having been a Product Manager in my past I sympathize with Jessops and Canon and of course yourself. No matter how well you design a product, select components and design the manufacturing process, things fail.

Typically the failure curve looks like a bath tub, initially you will have a high percentage fail then it settles down into a long time of low failures, then finally as things get old the failure rates increase again.

It is all about statistics and failure rates.

You have unfortunately got one of those mid life failures..

Not a nice situation, but it happens, difficult to see how anybody can be seen to be responsible. If it was a systematic fault, you could blame the manufacturer, otherwise it's hard to know if anybody is "at fault"

Cheers

Mip

I've asked this beofre and never received a satisfactory answer - where do Canon state the a shutter should last for so many actuations?

This is from page 18 of the EOS Professional brochure which includes the 1Ds mark III, 1D mark III and the 5D, downloadable from the Canon UK website... LINK

"Rugged Build Quality​
Built to take on the most demanding shooting environments,
every EOS-1 series camera has a rigid magnesium alloy body.
For reliable performance in inclement conditions, 76 individual
seals around controls and cover seams protect each camera against
dust and moisture. Performance is guaranteed at temperatures as
low as 0°C and as high as 45 °C. Shutters are engineered to endure
300,000 cycles. Strengthened and weather proofed accessory shoes
provide further durability and protection, while shielding guards​
against electromagnetic noise".

So whilst this is not a guarantee, it's clearly an indication of the expected life and for the OP's shutter to fail at 6000 actuations is clearly ridiculous.
But to reiterate from my previous post, the claim is against Jessops not Canon.

Back