Critique Nice little Kestrel watching me watching it

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
Ventured out today in between rain and was rewarded by this beautiful Kestrel taking full advantage as the sun breaks through the clouds ...
I really must investigate PP of the Sky ?

Nikon D500 + 500PF * 1.4 TC

1/1000th F827-11-2023 Kestrel.jpg

Nice and sharp...
I would prefer eye contact or more context of what she's looking at; at least a bit more space so it's no so centered and looking immediately out of frame. It also has a heavy color cast muting the colors which I would correct... sometimes I leave the color cast of sunset/sunrise, but not often. Only when it's a more environmental shot and helps create a mood; and this doesn't look to be taken at sunset anyway.

kestrel.jpg

Nice and sharp...
I would prefer eye contact or more context of what she's looking at; at least a bit more space so it's no so centered and looking immediately out of frame. It also has a heavy color cast muting the colors which I would correct... sometimes I leave the color cast of sunset/sunrise, but not often. Only when it's a more environmental shot and helps create a mood; and this doesn't look to be taken at sunset anyway.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I like the blue sky !
She was hunting so watching something on the ground with the odd look at me to check I was not getting too close (unfortunately I did not manage to catch that)
I was taken late afternoon on a wet rainy dull overcast day, just a the sun manage to break through a gap in the clouds for a few precious minutes......
I have (just) booked myself onto a PP course (LR & PS) at a local college as I am one of the unfortunate people who finds it hard to learn from books and youtube videos

Found another in the sequence and got her looking at me, plus played around a bit to get a better balance and blue sky !
Nice, much better edit. Don't be afraid to rotate the composition a little for a better pose when there are no obvious clues for "vertical"... especially if the image was taken handheld because it's probably not entirely level anyway. I would have liked to rotate it more, but the weight needs to remain over the feet (pose look realistic/natural).

Untitled.jpg

I was confusing it with our (american) kestrel where the male has blue wings.
thought so :) Yours is a stunning bird as is ours Steve, i've stared longingly at many American Kez images as with Steve OP's UK image above.

Kez I guess is quite a humble BOP here but I can watch 'em for hours.they are also hard core holligans, oh to have the images to back what I have seen.

"OP Steve" sorry mate certain images evoke words in me lol not crit, TFS the second is for me one of your best fair play ( should have said that first post great frame well done you(y)

Back