Nifty fifty question

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon EOS 650D and want to buy a 50mm F/1.8 for portraits.
There seems to be two different lenses and different prices..... A Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II Lens and also a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - f/22 II.
Which is the better one and why ? What is the difference, if any?

It's one and the same lens, just a different description, canon EF 50mm f1.8 130g 52mm filter etc, cheapest uk price £74.99 from Argos or Amazon, although Argos has the lens at 2 different prices and 2 slightly different descriptions

Each place I look at, shows the F/1.8 - F/22 11 around £30 dearer This is why I questioned it. Thanks anyway! .......... And sorry, I did not realise I linked to a store......I just copied and pasted the description

Last edited:
Could be that they are advertising the mark one version of the lens, in many peoples opinion, a better quality lens, therefore slightly pricier.

Could be that they are advertising the mark one version of the lens, in many peoples opinion, a better quality lens, therefore slightly pricier.

Not only as @minnnt says, both have ll in the title, but more importantly the Mark 1 was discontinued in 1990 so it's extremely unlikely any retailer would still have new stock.

As has been said, Canon only produce 1 Canon 50mm F1.8 at the moment - so just a different advert description. I'd buy at the best price you can get - along as you are happy with where the lens is being sold from !!!

Not sure if you are still looking to buy one of these, I have had a 50mm f/1.8 mkII for over 9 years now & still use it loads.
ken Rockwell rates this lens highly, I would not hesitate in advising purchasing.
I use to teach & this is the lens I & other tutors said to use for a month only, no other lens!
The pupils learnt about better composition i.e, putting themselves in place due to no zoom.

If you're still after one,£66.99 inc p+p with Canon warranty...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item2a4458b643

Back