Nifty Fifty

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to buy one of these for my D90 to try out doing so portrait work along with other things.

Which ones would you recommend? Budget is about £150 but less is good :)

If you must have a 50mm with that budget, the only option is a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D. If you raised your budget a little you may get lucky and get a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-D for around the £175 mark.

So the 1.4 would be a significantly better option?

May just hold off and save for one of them as i'm in no rush.

Significantly better....that's always a good debate. I'd say it's worthwhile but tbh the f/1.8 is a steal for the price. :)

Yea its was between these 2 to be honest - but wasn't sure whether to stretch the budget or not

Looks like they have updated their website and it has now gone :crying:

i read in Photo Monthly on test that the Nikon 50mm f1.8 was far better value and scored more stars than the much more expensive f1.4

i read in Photo Monthly on test that the Nikon 50mm f1.8 was far better value and scored more stars than the much more expensive f1.4

Well that might be because it IS better value, much better value!

The stars are based on quality etc against price so thats why it scores more stars.

Is it better..... NO not at all the f1.4 is better than the f1.8 BUT it costs twice as much. Is it worth the extra? That is for YOU to decide, it the extra 0.4 + lens bag + metal mount + hood (or is that just the AFS) worth the money?????

That is for YOU to decide, it the extra 0.4 + lens bag + metal mount + hood (or is that just the AFS) worth the money?????

The f1.8 I got has a metal mount - is there a newer version with a plastic one?

The f1.8 I got has a metal mount - is there a newer version with a plastic one?

nifty.jpg

The middle bit of the mount is plastic on the AF 50mm f1.8 D (right hand lens) and even the very much older manual focus 50mm next to it! The outer and important part is metal so just ignore that bit :)

I think you mean left hand lens :LOL:

/excuse mode

It's a long story but when I typed that it was mirrored! I realised when the text was backwards and fixed the picture but forgot to fix the text :LOL:

/end

Back