Night long exposure..

fraggle101

Not a mermaid
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Iv not been posting much these days, tbh iv not been doing much photography either! too much work is making the proverbial come true!! :puke:

Anyway, i went out last night to do some long exposure stuff.. i quite liked this one..

DSC_9422.jpg

DSC_9419.jpg

C&C welcome as usual...

Last edited:
I like it.

How long was the exp?

Looks like Cassiopeia (top left W shaped constellation) Given no startails I am going to guess 30secs or so?

The exif is intact if you want to look, it was 1min.. as for the constelations, i have no clue other than the Bear, or as i call it, The Saucepan!!! lol..

I couldnt even see NEARLY the amount of stars that the camera picked up!!!

Iv added another one, 181secs.. but the white balance was a little off, but i liked it...

Great shots........... I prefer #1

You were out at nearly 1am taking them or is your camera time stamp incorrect..??? My Mrs would think I'm mental if I said I was going out then to take some photos....LOL

fantastic shots, i done some tonight along southend seafront with passing cars,

(y)

first shot is superb. It looks like daylight to the right with night sweeping it away from the left (if that makes sense)

1st one is great, real sense of depth in the sky and scale with the lights on the horizon. The moon & reflection adds a nice focal point. The second is a bit too orange, tends to happen with the longer exposures as the lights of the city overpower everything.

I love going out late at night/early morning for long exposures, can't beat it - 1am just when I get started!

Great shots........... I prefer #1

You were out at nearly 1am taking them or is your camera time stamp incorrect..??? My Mrs would think I'm mental if I said I was going out then to take some photos....LOL

I was away on ,y own so no problem there.. although, even if the missus was there, she knows what im like and wouldnt expect anything else!! lol..

first shot is superb. It looks like daylight to the right with night sweeping it away from the left (if that makes sense)

I hadnt thought of it like that, but i see what you mean.. (y)

1st one is great, real sense of depth in the sky and scale with the lights on the horizon. The moon & reflection adds a nice focal point. The second is a bit too orange, tends to happen with the longer exposures as the lights of the city overpower everything.

I love going out late at night/early morning for long exposures, can't beat it - 1am just when I get started!

Id forgotten about the horrible street light pollution! i think you are quite right.. i may try cooling the WB and see how it looks, although i like the colour..

I love night time...

Thanks for the comments everyone... :)

Love the first one. Not many night shots on here like this (once a month opportunity maybe?) (y)

No.1 is top draw mate.

Love the first one. Not many night shots on here like this (once a month opportunity maybe?) (y)

Thanks guys..

I think i must have caught it just right.. when i left the van it was much cloudier, it was clearing as i was shooting, you can see that in the two pictures, the second was actually the first! but managed to catch (In MY mind anyway) just the right amount of moving cloud in the first (Top) image.. it could have been a total wast of time if the cloud was getting THICKER!! lol..

:)

No1 is a topper.
Getting detail into the foreground has made the shot for me.

Hey there,

I am so very new to photography and just browsing the forum looking at peoples shots and soaking up as much information as I can.
I felt I had to comment on this thread, The first picture has truly inspired me like nothing else, I stared at it for ages in awe. If in my new photography hobby I EVER take a photograph that great, I would be a very happy person!

Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Melissa.

Absolutely love both these shots :)

You must be VERY proud :) !

Some amazing comments, i really appreciate them guys..

Melissa, When i started taking pictures i was saying the same thing.. take your time, read lots, but most of all, get out taking pictures.. the best way to learn is by making mistakes!! we can tell you what NOT to do, but its only when you make the same mistakes do you really 'get it'..

Thanks again guys...

Excellent... love the first... interesting.. 14mm gives that long with no trailling... The moonrise behind the clouds works so well

The W is Cassiopeia, below and left, you can just about make out the smudge of the double cluster and Perseus is sneaking in (the brighter stars). Andromeda is just about hiding in the clouds, lower right of Cassie (the galaxy looks to be just under the clouds also). As for the Saucepan, that's actually the great bears back and tail :D

Awesome shot, I really like number 1 especially the skyline in the distance. I would love to see it printed big.

(y)

Both are gorgeous shots! Very effective use of urban lighting (which I think really adds to the whole thing) as well as the moon. Both photos, especially No 1, looks like Vincent Van Gogh type paintings.

Last edited:
#1 for me, the sky is brilliant, love the mix of clouds with stars and night sky pointing through... My only complaint, is that I dont like the foreground, nothing of interest there

No 1 is the winner for me, you just got it right time wise and avoided to much trailing from the stars

Many thanks for the encouragement guys.. your response has been fab!

i did some more a few days later at a different location but iv not had a good look at them just yet as iv just got home from my break away..

Thanks again..

Cheers mate..

Did you use a filter? Ive never done a long exposure and would like to, but need to learn how to do it properly first.

The pics are fabulous.. well done :)

No filters used for these, just used a nice trippod, remote shutter release and some luck.. :p

That first one is excellent, the variety in colours in the sky is excellent and well captured, I think much better than the 2nd which just seems a touch flat for my liking. Normally I get upset when clouds get in the way of my star trails but they work really well here.

Back