Night shots with off camera flash

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
This shots were taken at Norwich Castle Gardens on a night photography workshop. They were lit from below with a speedlight in a kicker.

Any comments or suggestions for improvements.

Gary

1. d700, 35mm, f.2 1/80th 1600 iso

Molly 3.jpg

2. d700, 35mm, f.2 1/80th 1600 iso

2.molly (5 of 1).JPG

I understand the high ISO strategy for such a take
in a nice setup but the wall, IMO, doesn't bring much
to your sophisticated subject.

… and was the softer sharpness also part of your strategy?

Hi Kodiak, thanks for your comments. I agree that the wall adds not a lot, it was used as a leaning prop for Molly. In retrospect there are better areas which will be revisited at that venue. The area we shot in was a dry moat of a castle now used as a walkthrough. The image contained some noise and due to the sub arctic conditions on the night the models skin was at varying stages of cold to very cold. The monochrome image, the eyes on the were not as sharp as I would expect but sharpened up acceptably. I might have overdone the softening on the skin and conversely overcooked the eyes. .... as a learning session the flash aspect came off, perhaps should have gone for a more relaxed style.

I dont know the castle, but looking in the background there appears to be a dressed stone arch, which by moving the model back a few feet might have provided a better frame to that side of the shot and the cleaner stone might have Improved the shot?

I presume the workshop was largely the reason behind the use of a speedlight in the kicker?

Why light from below? It's not terribly flattering, especially in the second where the nose shadows fall upwards and make the nose look wider than it is. It's sometimes useful but not here I think.
The first is nearly a cracker but it does look as though you've missed focus on both, always an issue when shooting in the dark. I carry an LED torch and use back-button focusing when this is a problem.

[QUOTE="shreds,

I presume the workshop was largely the reason behind the use of a speedlight in the kicker?[/QUOTE]
The speedlight use was part of the workshop,
. Not having access to portable flash heads the speedlights are the light source of choice. Regards Gary

Why light from below? It's not terribly flattering, especially in the second where the nose shadows fall upwards and make the nose look wider than it is. It's sometimes useful but not here I think.
The first is nearly a cracker but it does look as though you've missed focus on both, always an issue when shooting in the dark. I carry an LED torch and use back-button focusing when this is a problem.
Thanks for your comments, I sgree the monochrome was slightly off, the colour image was sharp on the eyes, possible that my processing has given the impression of missed focus. Thanks for the led tip, i had not noticed the elongated shadow.
Very little light, cold conditions make it difficult to hold the camera steady...time for the monopod possibly. Kind regards Gary

Thanks for your comments, I sgree the monochrome was slightly off, the colour image was sharp on the eyes, possible that my processing has given the impression of missed focus. Thanks for the led tip, i had not noticed the elongated shadow.
Very little light, cold conditions make it difficult to hold the camera steady...time for the monopod possibly. Kind regards Gary

I know where you're coming from - that said a monopod may help with framing but any motion blur will be eliminated by the short flash duration.

Back