Nightclub Photography - Long Shutter

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
I was the photographer at a recent event and these are some of the creative shots I took when I had a free moment

7335444340_550b2a2b0f_c.jpg

7335446246_b534b834fb_c.jpg

7335447312_1aa18933b2_c.jpg

(y):cool:

Mate of mine does this stuff. It's usually about £60 or so for a couple of hours, not sure what it is that you get paid. But yeah flash and long shutter speed works well in a club and you can switch between trailing curtain flash or leading curtain for differing effects.

MWHCVT said:
A very easy technique but can as you've seen here be immensely effective (y)

Welcome to TP :wave:

Matt
MWHCVT

Yeah it is really easy, just have to beware of lasers as they can be the downfall of a shot if they hit the lens or they can make the shot if you time it right.

Cheers for the comments guys.

The technique is called 'dragging the shutter.'

You should try using a zoom and zooming in (or out) while the shutter is open - it can give you interesting trails and shadows. Also try experimenting with rpt flash or rear curtain sync for variation.

Personally I've never really liked shutter drags in nightclubs.

They're often messey and poorly controlled.

Ignoring that, try to make sure the djs faces are not obscured/theyre turning away from you. Shots of the djs back work for big shots with crowd interaction but without that you just have a back.

I do have to say that im not a fan. I myself am a paid club photographer and you have done these way over the top.

I do drag the shutter myself when working but not over the top like these.

I love how certain photographers coin new terms for old techniques :LOL: dragging the shutter!
Whatever next....
Smashing the stop
Screaming iso
Boshing the flash

That term has been around for at least a decade if not more:-/ I didn't coin the phrase, as far as I was aware its quite common photography parlance, if you've another term for it (slow sync flash?) then that's cool, no need to condescend.

Last edited:
decigallen said:
That term has been around for at least a decade if not more:-/ I didn't coin the phrase, as far as I was aware its quite common photography parlance, if you've another term for it (slow sync flash?) then that's cool, no need to condescend.

Drag the shutter is what iv always known it as.

Yep, been round for donkeys years.

I don't particularly care what the technique is called or who coined the phrase, so to get back to the topic at hand... lol

Great pics OP, as a DJ myself I've often wondered how these photos were taken, will definitely have to give it a go some night I'm not working.

Technique is ok, but the content is really lacking.

First is the best.
Second is the back of a DJ apparently not doing too much, with a messy bit of crowd in the corner.
Third is a strange crop with awkward framing of a few blokes standing around watching a girl.

If you've got the technique working alright, then you need to start looking for photos. Content is king, 'cool' techniques can be added afterwards to spice them up. (y)

Back