Nikkor 35mm f/2 - What's it like?

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
(Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more...)

I'm after something wide and fast for the Iceland trip and since it's only really for that purpose, I don't want to spend much! I've found a couple of 2nd hand ones for well under £200 which is well within budget but if it's a crap lens, there's little point and wouldn't be money well spent.
I have a zoom that covers the focal length but it's a full 2 stops slower (24-120 f/4) and for the aurora (which is what I'm planning to use the lens for) the extra exposure time can be the difference between a wow and a meh...
The lens will be used on a D750.
If it's crap, what would be a better bet (and under £250 2nd hand)?

Don't bother. It's not wide enough by a country mile, I'm afraid. You really need to be looking for something wider than 20mm.

Hmmm... The plan is to use it wide open for the light gathering. If it needs stopping down a bit, I may as well use the 24-120. I do have the option of taking the Fuji with the 18mm f/2 which would give me a 27mm EFL (35mm). A bit limited for space though so hoping to take a single system. I suppose the X-Pro1 and 18mm isn't much bigger than a compact and I might be able to persuade Mrs Nod to take it in her bag.

ETA... 8mm fisheye wide enough? ;) Only f/4 though.

If it's really just for this trip, then do you need to worry about the price? Just sell it afterwards. Or (cough cough) hire a 14-24 f/2.8 and you're sorted.

At f/2 it rather lacks contrast but by f/2.8 it is super sharp in the middle and good enough at the edges. In fact at f/2.8 it was very sharp on my Nikon V1 and FT1 which really tests a lens.

Not sure its wide enough for northern lights though.

I was contemplating selling my Nikon 24mm f/2.8 which I'd bought in case of an impromptu trip to see the aurora but it never happened - I've not even taken any shots with. If you're interested I'll stick it in the classifieds - well within your budget too :)

At f/2 it rather lacks contrast but by f/2.8 it is super sharp in the middle and good enough at the edges. In fact at f/2.8 it was very sharp on my Nikon V1 and FT1 which really tests a lens.

Not sure its wide enough for northern lights though.

I was contemplating selling my Nikon 24mm f/2.8 which I'd bought in case of an impromptu trip to see the aurora but it never happened - I've not even taken any shots with. If you're interested I'll stick it in the classifieds - well within your budget too :)

I was going to suggest a 24mm, the 24mm f2.8D I found to be sharper than the 35 f2 and as Ned says its wider for the Northern Lights, its the only D lens I still have with my D800.

My 35 f2 was a great little lens but not wide enough for serious landscape ... I've just bought a 24mm f2.8 Ai (manual) and there are some good bargains available for this lens :)

If it's really just for this trip, then do you need to worry about the price? Just sell it afterwards. Or (cough cough) hire a 14-24 f/2.8 and you're sorted.

I did consider renting a 14-24 but £122 is a bit more than I wanted to spend (it's a 10 day trip, plus a day each end just in case...). It is an option, although I do have the Sigma (nearly!) equivalent but that lacks the aperture. Bloody first world problems!!!

Ned, I'll bear the 24mm f/2.8 in mind.

Of course, Nod's law dictates that I'll fork out on something and the AB will fail to make an appearance!

Worth bearing in mind but a bit expensive. I know I could sell it on after the trip but not for what I would have to pay. Not seen any of them second hand.

I tried this lens when doing a shoot on Dartmoor, I tested it on both a Nikon D7000 and Nikon D800, safe to say the results were much the same, I only had it to borrow for a short while but its a superb bit of kit.

At £345, it's a bit more than I wanted to spend and I can't see any available 2nd hand from dealers or in the classifieds here (Nikon fit.)

The 14-24 is a PITA in inclement conditions with that big uncovered front glass. I recently bought a Nikon 24mm f2.8D and for the money it's absolutely fantastic.

35mm f2 AF is a fantastic Infra Red lens. I always found mine to be brilliant, the one Nikkor lens that did actually impress me!

Maybe a Tokina 11-16mm would be better suited though?

The Tokina is a DX lens so no good for my wants/needs.

Back