Nikon 1 AW1 - 'All Weather' CSC!

Went for a gentle perambulation along Sidmouth Esplanade yesterday afternoon and took a few dry snaps.
All SOOC, although one was put through the in camera D-Lighting.

The first two are the same shot but different, looking West.

The SOOC shot.

DSC_0030 SOOC
by gpn63, on Flickr

D-Lit in camera.

CSC_0031 DLit
by gpn63, on Flickr

And looking East at about the same time.

DSC_0022
by gpn63, on Flickr

And before anyone leaps on the wonky horizon, it's level but distorted!

Last edited:
We're just trying to work out if we need/actually want the 10mm f/2.8. It doesn't look like there is any real benefit to it over the 11mm of the other kit lens. There aren't really anyreviews out for the camera so even less for the individual lenses. :LOL:

Anyone got both and can say what the differences are?

I've got both but only played with the zoom so far. I'm hoping that the prime is better corrected for barrel distortion than the zoom - look at the horizon in the above shots - it's curved up at the sides!

Just taken a couple of test shots and yes, the 10mm is far better as far as corrections go for the distortion. Not perfect but I wasn't expecting perfection from a 10mm!

A the moment, the zooming on the zoom is quite stiff. I'm guessing that that's because of the seals rather than anything else. It does mean that it doesn't creep at all which can only be a good thing! Only done an A4 print so far and that looks pretty good, even close up. Not planning on testing the waterproofing until next June (too blooming cold over here - I only snorkel in the warm Med!) and don't plan on testing the droppability at all if I can help it! No reason to doubt the cold operation - it's pretty chilly today and it works - that's good enough for me! GPS seems to tally with Google Earth's position, although it disagrees with a plaque on a sundial on Sidmouth sea front. Less than a second of arc discrepancy - again, close enough for me!

Still not had a proper read of the manual but have found most things fairly easy to set intuitively. need to get self, manual and reading specs in the same place soon though to discover more options.

If anyone's able to get to Exeter and wants a hands on, PM me and we can meet for a coffee in town - your shout!

I did see the curves, I think they will be easily fixable shooting RAW and using profiles in LR or PS (whenever the RAW updates come out for them). The 10mm is very tempting, especially at £150 we can get them for (sent from Canada) but I also think as these cameras will primarily be used fairly rarely for under/near water photos not taking the lens off regularly will probably be a good thing, saves having sand sneak into the sensor area or compromise the seals! The cameras will hopefully be useful when I don't want to take a DSLR out when skiing or just walking around as well, nothing that will likely really be benefited by 2/3rds of a stop extra.

We ordered two this afternoon (just with the 11-27.5) so I cant wait to have a play in a week or two. I ended up ordering 8 third party batteries as well, half for me and half for my GF. Extreme but at £8 each it should mean we won't have an issue with running out of any charge for 8 days of on and under water fun at christmas! We've also got 3 batteries each for our DSLRs which we'll also be taking. We'll be using them for the rest of the trip elsewhere and during periods we're not on/near the water over the 8 days, the negatives being they don't have GPS built in, although I am looking into getting a GPS receiver for the trip after this one.

Last edited:
Hi all
I have processed some of my pictures from the Maldives. No word yet on the camera though. The settings i used were the 'underwater ones' and i varied between scuba, closeup and shallow. I think scuba increases the vibrancy, closeup increases the contrast. All produce jpegs but I found they all need processing just the same as the RAW setting I used on land. I use Lightroom and processed these with lightroom 5 which recognises the camera. I had to change the operating system on my Mac to the new Mavericks (10.9) to be able to get Lightroom 5 and thats made the computer more than a little glitchy but thats another story.
Anyway most of the pictures have had contrast increase, certainly clarity and some,a little (but not much) vibrancy increase and a little sharpening.

Maldives 6 by Simon Reynolds, on Flickr

Maldives 5 by Simon Reynolds, on Flickr

Maldives 3
by Simon Reynolds, on Flickr

Maldives 2

Maldives 1

a>

Last edited:
Looking forward to playing with mine under water, mainly because it means we'll be in Crete! By then I should have a better idea of battery life, although I reckon I should get away with a single spare if any. Shame it doesn't use the same as the V1 (which uses the same as the D800.) Any recommendations for third party batteries yet?

Nice images. :)

Nod, I just bought 8 of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/EN-EL20-PREMIUM-Replacement-Rechargeable-Dot-Foto/dp/B006MH0JP6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1385393963&sr=8-8&keywords=en el20 . Will let you know after christmas how they are, although I doubt they will have been charged more than a couple of times before then.

K9simon, did you use the grease that's supposed to protect the O ring and did you use the AW 40.5 NC Filter? I'm still not sure what the point of the filter actually is as it's description just mentions condensation...

Last edited:
Not sure where you are, Amp but if collection (and delivery back!) from (to) Exeter is possible and you're prepared to take on a "you bend it, you replace it" sort of deal, and you can get the lens back to me for early June, you'd be welcome to have the loan of the 10mm f/2.8 if you think you'll need it.

If the spare batteries work well and you want to offload one or 2 after your trip, I could be interested - drop me a PM before sticking them in the classifieds, although you'll need to stick them in there before I can buy them off you.

K9simon, did you use the grease that's supposed to protect the O ring and did you use the AW 40.5 NC Filter? I'm still not sure what the point of the filter actually is as it's description just mentions condensation...[/quote]

Amp I didn't use the grease as it was already greased and after i put the lens on i didn't take it off again. I have not got the filter although i would use one to see if its helped with the condensation. The manual says that it should be ok up to 85%. I think it was less than that on a couple of days and the front of the lens clouded up. It seemed it did it when i was holding it for a while? Towards the end of the trip the rear screen seems to be suffering more condensational as well?
Still waiting to hear the verdict on the camera.

DSC_0863 by Simon Reynolds, on Flickr

DSC_1724

Not sure where you are, Amp but if collection (and delivery back!) from (to) Exeter is possible and you're prepared to take on a "you bend it, you replace it" sort of deal, and you can get the lens back to me for early June, you'd be welcome to have the loan of the 10mm f/2.8 if you think you'll need it.

If the spare batteries work well and you want to offload one or 2 after your trip, I could be interested - drop me a PM before sticking them in the classifieds, although you'll need to stick them in there before I can buy them off you.
Thanks for the offer! I think I will pass though as I would be too worried about breaking it, besides I want to persuade myself not to buy one! :LOL:

I will definitely keep that in mind, will post back once we have used them and I'm sure we could offload a couple when we get back too. :)

Hopefully, the things are pretty much bulletproof so unlikely to break! Also, if it broke down, it would be under warranty so you wouldn't need to worry about that part! Of course, waterproofing could be an issue but if the sealing O-ring's kept loobed up, that shouldn't be a problem. FWIW (and it's too late for you now...), the lens was significantly cheaper as part of the 2 lens kit than it would have been as a separate purchase.

That's what Im hoping too, although it's worrying the first person on here to use it underwater had a leaky one...!

We have access to Canadian stores so the cameras cost us £500 and the 10mm would be £150. A nice bargain.:)

We finally got our cameras today and I've just been playing with it with the aim of making sure I get the right accessories. I'm also wondering if I should lube up the O-ring straight away. It doesn't feel lubed up from the factory.:confused: I guess it didn't leak there for K9simon so...

As for accessories, I'm going to get the silicone case and a 40mm CPL for above water use. I'm still trying to work out if I should get the dedicated hand strap or not, alongside the filter thing that goes on the front and somehow reduced condensation, however I don't quite understand why it would do that... K9simon, do you mean the camera had condensation on dry land?

I think I'm also going to get an extending lanyard to attach the camera to the boat as well... dropping it overboard wouldn't be the best idea...:exit:

Not sure I'd bother with a silicone case since it's supposed to bounce from a two metre drop and I would (did) get a 40.5mm CPL since a 40mm one will drop out. Can't remember which brand of neoprene wrist strap I got from Amazon but I plan on using that under water rather than a neck strap. Not planning on the anti condensation filter.

We have two so at the very least it will make one obvious! I as hoping to get an orange one to make it more visible but there seems to be a major lack of stock so I grabbed the last Khaki one on Amazon!

Got a Cetacea Camera Tether today, that'll attach the camera to the kayak and I'll probably wrap it round my wrist when swimming as well. Just need to get a wrist strap now and that's finally sorted.:)

As I said in the other thread, ended up with a Marumi super DNG 40.5mm circular polariser to go with it.

Hopefully it doesn't spring a leak the first time I get in the water...! :LOL:

But the second one didn't. I don't plan on changing batteries or lenses on the beach which should help reduce the chance of seal/debris problems, if the battery dies, I'm big enough to treat that as game over as far as shooting goes and just enjoy the snorkelling! Still not taken it out for a fuller workout, planning on a walk with some friends and their dog tomorrow so will take the AW since the weather's not supposed to be great...

Holiday kit will probably now be the AW, a V1 with a couple of F mount lenses and the converter as well as a baby Fuji X, probably the XF1. And damage insurance!

Well that's worrying... So far that's a 66% leak rate on these things from the (admittely very low) reports of underwater us... K9Simon and the DP review first camera...

I will double check if we have any damage insurance as well. Makes me quite nervous about taking it into the water now. If it goes pop the first day I'll have to decide whether to chance getting the DSLR out when kayaking.

Glad I got 5 batteries now.

Well the good news is that I a new replacement camera. Jessops contacted me and I picked up the new one boxed and with a new lens. Cannot say fairer than that. I don't know if mine leaked or not but the issue was in the battery compartment.
The condensation problem was on dry land and usually when i had been holding the camera and it had been on for a while. The lens condensed up on the inside and as time went on i got more condensation
on the rear screen. I will see how the new one goes.
Jessops had the camera for over a month before deciding to replace it so i am guessing they tested it well but had no conclusions.
If I had to guess I would say the battery compartment suffered from condensation build up that corroded the contacts.
I hope the replacement fairs better.

11937937964_1bf263f9a3_o.jpg

Hello ;)

Back from the Philippines (well back for about 3 weeks but anyway...)

Both cameras survived and I'm pretty impressed. I was initially a bit wary about taking mine into the water but it was fine in the end. It was put through its paces with a week of being rested on the top of a sprayskirt, constantly getting splashed and coated in sea water alongside multiple snorkelling trips of up to an hour. It wasn't cleaned properly for the entire week it was in use, with just a small bottle of water poured over mine after every prolonged dunking.

I made sure all the seals were clean before shutting them and greased the O ring before we got on the water. No leaks, although lots of condensation at various times. The condensation on both cameras was almost exclusively on the inside of the screen, although the GF's lens misted up once. It seemed, much like K9simons, that most of the condensation was above the water, I think when it got warm in the sun after having a dunking. There were also occasional weird bits of condensation underwater when there were air bubbles on the outside of the screen (and also when there were water drops on the screen above water). I don't think there is any lasting damage though so I'm not planning on sending them off to Nikon, although I may do a bit of research before I fully make my mind up.

It was a great little camera to use though, although the lack of viewfinder was/is off-putting. It makes it feel much more like a point and shoot camera. I had to spend a lot of time slowing myself down when taking shots because they were ending up more like snaps than the DSLR. IQ is good, little noisy at high ISO compared to the D7000 but that is to be expected considering the size of the sensor. What I did notice was the slowness of the lens. After a long time shooting with f/2.8 zoom lenses going back to 3.5-5.6 was a pain! If they release an AW version of an f/2.8 lens then I would consider swapping to that. On the other hand I did find the lens was a jack of all trades, master of none, not quite wide enough for most landscape shots and not quite long enough to get good portraits. A standard kit lens then. The lack of Bokeh was offputting as well, although for landscape not having to worry about aperture was quite nice. I guess that's the negative of a CSC though. I knew there would be more D0F but didn't realise it would be that extreme! :LOL: The RAW output images are remarkably low contrast, or at least they are in LR5. I had to use high contrast to get the images up to similar contrasts to the D7000, but that's not an issue in the slightest.

Battery life was slap bang on the quoted life all over the net. Around 200 shots. The third party batteries worked just as well as the official one. I didn't end up using all of my 5 batteries in the end but I did get to charge them to full strength again on the second night. It was definitely nice not having to worry too much about running out of juice though, although with 200 shots it invariably ended up dying just after it had got wet and we still had a way to go before stopping again... I'm not sure it it was just the third party batteries (i'm sure one of the official ones did this as well) but the charge reporting in camera didn't seem to be great. It would show full battery for ages then go to half and then to none within what seemed like a few shots. Each battery seemed to be different though, including the official ones.

I didn't really have many problems reading/viewing the screen underwater although there were some times it was difficult to see. The hydrophobic coating on the front of the lens is pretty impressive. even dunked regularly in sea water there was hardly a mark or drip that needed cleaning off. I did have a CPL on it most of the time but that showed how good it was. I was forever cleaning the smears off the CPS (both sides). The electronic spirit level came in handy. When you're rocking backwards and forwards in a boat with no idea what is horizontal and vertical it made flat horizons very easy. :LOL: What I didn't like was the grid option.... it's 4x4! Why stick a 4x4 grid on a camera?

The video was the biggest letdown IMO. It reminded me of going back to my dads old miniDV camera from 10 years ago. I made the mistake of using 60i and the tearing is awful. The lack of contrast in the RAWs shows here as well. You definitely need to edit it before using/showing it. On the other hand it could just be my inability to shoot video! I'm a little disappointed though considering the quality straight out of the camera of the D7000. I'm going to play with the video we got and see if I can edit into something good though.

It's a great little camera and I plan on using it when I can't be bothered/don't have space to take my DSLR out. It's certainly not going to replace it any time soon though! That is after I've managed to clean all the salt off of it. It's stubborn stuff, especially around the hinges of the compartments (more white staining than anything else).

Anyway, enough jabbering!

I'm uploading a load of photos taken with the camera in this thread http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-philippines-2013-landscape-seascape-heavy.527056/ Basically all the first week (other than the long exposure) and the day on the boat/snorkelling at the end - not posted yet, were taken with the AW1. I'll post a few underwater ones and a couple of above water ones in this thread.

11937765963_f655ea6e4b_o.jpg

The clip next to the yellow string is what I was using to keep the camera attached to the boat to stop any overboard incidents. It's attached to a coiled piece of webbing and then the other end is a thread that screws securely into the tripod hole in the base of the camera. Very useful. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called at the moment though.

11938336626_e97a09b894_o.jpg

f/5.6 at 19mm

11937777943_fccbeb8c14_o.jpg

11937503555_728249d3ce_o.jpg

I didn't actually use the underwater mode on the camera, just shot in RAW with auto white balance the entire time

11938348876_23d7812d3f_o.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that real life review, Amp.

Having used an old film underwater camera (Minolta APS) with (obviously!) only an OVF, I can assure you that when wearing a mask, an OVF is next to useless! You can get a glimpse of what the centre of the VF is pointing at but accurate aiming and framing is all but impossible. The rear screen on digitals is far easier to use and only takes a bit of practise to get the angle of dangle right when you want to see it underwater.

Still haven't got mine wet apart from a few raindrops - roll on June when it'll get sea dunked every day (with luck!). TBH, I haven't really used it much with the AW lens - with the 70-300, it's great though. Looking for an 18-?00 Nikkor which will hopefully AF on it and the V1, although once I start wetting the AW, I plan on keeping the AW zoom fitted to avoid O-ring disturbance and using the V1 for dry stuff.

I can see Nikon's reason for sticking a 4x4 grid in rather than a thirds one - it's quite easy to judge a third and let's face it, that's a guideline rather than a hard and fast rule, so best applied by the "look at the image on the screen and if that looks right, it probably is" maxim! Let's face it, there's no such thing as a perfect camera and what would be perfect for me probably wouldn't suit you.

Not looked at your other thread yet - next stop! Glad you had a good time, bet you can't wait for the next visit.

I can see there being a problem with that underwater. It's still offputting above water though as a general camera. That reminds me, the ISO adjustment was a pain. it's buried in several button presses. I also found the auto iso to be a bit of a pain, the minimum shutter speed was really slow, at least for anything not absolutely stationary (which isn't much in a kayak... :LOL:).

I still can't see the reason I have to say, either a thirds to help composition (if you use it) or just the false horizon screen, why a 4x4 grid?

Its definitely a nice little camera though with very few negatives, as long as you don't expect it to replace a DSLR.:)

Well I'm back from the Maldives and have to say I have slightly mixed feelings about the camera. On the whole I feel it performed very well but it did suffer from condensation. As K9Simon mentioned the condensation got worse the more the camera was used and I also had condensation on the lens BUT so far no issues with corrosion. I do think that the main issue was the changing temperatures and no matter how long you allowed the camera to acclimatise, the changes in the water temperature could be quite dramatic especially between the shallower shore area and nearer the reef drop off.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58652467@N02/sets/72157641403054193/ for a few pictures and videos. These are unedited, apart from a few being straightened and were shot using the underwater mode.

Just an update, whilst cleaning the camera I noticed some discolouration of the body in side the accessory cover. So the camera is going back to WEX :(

An update. Nikon are trying to stitch me for £300 to repair my camera :mad: Apparently I have damaged something whilst using it, to date they have not told WEX exactly what is the issue but quoted for repair.
Has anyone else had issues with Nikon and these cameras?

Well that sucks...! Keep us updated! I haven't had a look at ours yet but last time I checked other than a bit of dry salt around the hinges ours are fine *touch wood*. We're going to be using them again next month for some diving with whale sharks so hopefully they survive then as well!

On the same trip I was thinking of using the AW1 as a second camera to get some time-lapse photos while using the proper camera to shoot. Problem is there doesn't seem to be any way of automating this on the AW1 that I can see. No built in intervalometer and no external intervalometers seem to be available. Am I missing something or is there really no way of shooting time-lapses automatically with this camera?

A quick update......Nikon are still saying that I'm at fault ( there is no apparent damage to the seals and no leaks when pressure tested ) and are refusing to budge !! I still maintain that I followed the cleaning procedure to the letter and there is an inherent fault with the seals. The camera spent 10 days in The Maldives where the temperatures are considerably higher than here and being made of metal,plastic and rubber/silicon all of which expand in heat, isn't it possible that the seals lose there waterproof properties? Also if the seals are that poorly designed that a single grain of sand, obviously not visible to a casual inspection can cause the waterproofing to fail, then in my opinion, its poorly designed and not fit for purpose.
WEX are being fantastic, as a gesture of good faith as a longstanding customer and because of Nikon's attitude they have offered to pay for half the repair. I'm currently looking at other avenues to pursue this further.

Last edited:
WooooooooooHoooooooo :)

Got an email from WEX yesterday to say that Nikon are going to " on this occassion " repair the camera free of charge. Im absolutely thrilled at this, the spare parts are on their way and hopefully will be returned to me next week.

But what do I do now? I bought a camera to use underwater, outdoors and in a variety of climates and it has failed, the manufacturer didn't want to honour their warranty and I now have no faith in the products reliability. The price on new units have already dropped by £150, so selling it on means I have made a huge ( 40-50% ) loss!! I don't know whether to just live with it and try not to expose it to any moisture or do I see if WEX will give me a generous part exchange deal?

Good and bad new there then! Good job with getting them to do it for free though. :)

Part of me thinks you should just ignore the issues and use it for what you bought it for, if it eventually breaks then so be it! Chalk it up to experience as they say, especially as you're probably going to make a large loss on it anyway (assuming this is your secondary camera). If really nervous just don't use it fully submerged for long periods of time. It's an expensive gamble but probability says as it will probably survive for a reasonable period so use it. Better than making an instant large loss.

The one positive for Nikon is that it is their first go at an Underwater CSC, hopefully they will learn from the issues and the next iteration will be better. No use for us but good for the continuation of an idea that is IMO a great one.

Just carry on using it for what you got it for otherwise it is pointless having it. The problem may well be a one off, try building your confidence by taking it in the shower or bath!

Well.........I'm still waiting !! Nikon are truly taking the pee :rage:

Thread resurrection!! Got the camera back and haven't really used it until yesterday, when the condensation reappeared. Nothing to do with water ingress but overheating. When a large area of the lens became condensed I removed the lens from the camera to see if there was anything obvious and noticed that the lens mount was hot to touch. The camera is now on its way back :(

Back