Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread....

I would like to complain to Nikon about my Nikon J1. Having purchased it I have hardly touched my very expensive (and brilliant) D700 or my previously much used take anywhere D5000.

Yes, the Nikon 1 cameras are great fun and produce some really nice shots, excellent video and are highly portable (unlike many of the new crop of cameras).

I take the J1 everywhere with me because I can. It is a very, very clever camera (not perfect - but no camera is) and I just really, really like it.

By the way the D700 is still an incredible camera and I do use it for more serious assignments.

I would like to complain to Nikon about my Nikon J1. Having purchased it I have hardly touched my very expensive (and brilliant) D700 or my previously much used take anywhere D5000.

Yes, the Nikon 1 cameras are great fun and produce some really nice shots, excellent video and are highly portable (unlike many of the new crop of cameras).

I take the J1 everywhere with me because I can. It is a very, very clever camera (not perfect - but no camera is) and I just really, really like it.

By the way the D700 is still an incredible camera and I do use it for more serious assignments.

My local store also has a major complaint with Nikon on the V1

I have not been in to change my camera or buy any new camera gear for 6 months since I bought the V1. In these difficult times the lack of regular business from me could be critical :crying:

Had an enjoyable afternoon out today with my J1. Loads of walkers around lugging huge DSLRs.

Took this that I quite like the colours on:

Fairburn by steelfish, on Flickr

I seem to get terrible lens flare with the 10-30 kit lens if I'm not careful. Can't wait for the forthcoming 18.5mm to come out.

Last edited:
Had an enjoyable afternoon out today with my J1. Loads of walkers around lugging huge DSLRs.

Took this that I quite like the colours on:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jp_harrison/8062944880/
Fairburn by steelfish, on Flickr

I seem to get terrible lens flare with the 10-30 kit lens if I'm not careful. Can't wait for the forthcoming 18.5mm to come out.

Are you selling your Nikon 1 outfit? I saw you had listed your Panasonic GX1 but see now your J1 is listed - hope you're not leaving us :(

Never ceasing to be amazed... Melbourne at night.

No tripod, mainly hand-held. Last shot was 3200 iso

daveproctor said:
Are you selling your Nikon 1 outfit? I saw you had listed your Panasonic GX1 but see now your J1 is listed - hope you're not leaving us :(

It will be temporary I'm sure. There's a v2 and 18.5mm coming my way one day soon I hope.

It will be temporary I'm sure. There's a v2 and 18.5mm coming my way one day soon I hope.

Interesting - I love my V1 to bits but so wish there were a couple of pancake style lenses which would make it almost pocketable

Last edited:
I may regret this but I have decided to sell my much loved V1 and get a Sony RX100

Whilst I crave some prime lenses for the V1 my X100 actually meets this need and is the perfect focal length for me. I am using this more and more these days so decided to go fully compact for my second camera.

There are things I'll REALLY miss with the V1 but I don't want to be carrying two similar sized cameras around (ie the Fuji and the Nikon). Until now I've never come across a compact which provides 'big camera' image quality so hopefully the RX100 will fix this. I will miss the great option of zoom lenses the V1 gives and the lightening fast AF but will be nice to again have a pocketable camera I can take anywhere

Shame you're leaving us Dave. Maybe we'll see you return when those primes you crave for arrives, starting with the 18.5mm f/1.8 :)

Anyway, here are a few pics I took a while back and haven't got round to posting up.

DSC_2649-720_zps03f990da.jpg

DSC_2679-720_zps5c89eaa2.jpg

DSC_2749-720_zpsed593588.jpg

DSC_2762-720_zpscc36f60f.jpg

DSC_2763-720_zps99bd6cd3.jpg

DSC_2775-720_zps537cb8fa.jpg

dac said:
Shame you're leaving us Dave. Maybe we'll see you return when those primes you crave for arrives, starting with the 18.5mm f/1.8 :)

Anyway, here are a few pics I took a while back and haven't got round to posting up.

Yep these too are my sort of thing great shots

I cant believe how little this system is mentioned on this site!!
I finally managed to persuade my wife to let me get another camera..
Picked up a 2nd hand J1 with 10-30 and 30-110 lenses and I cant get over how good the quality is from both the lenses and the camera..

Im moving from a Fuji X10 which has a f2-f2.8 aperture so the lenses that I have are pretty slow in comparison.. however, it must be something to do with the larger sensor or the way the J1 handles noise but the images IQ wise are the same if not better than the X10 in my opinion..

The only thing for me that lets the X10 down is the focus speed. The J1 certainly shines in that respect... Im taking shots of my children so need to be able to focus fast...

Ive only had the camera a day and am no where near getting through all the settings but here's a quick snapshot from yesterday..

photo by BenR167, on Flickr

Picked up a 2nd hand J1 with 10-30 and 30-110 lenses and I cant get over how good the quality is from both the lenses and the camera..

Im moving from a Fuji X10 which has a f2-f2.8 aperture so the lenses that I have are pretty slow in comparison.. however, it must be something to do with the larger sensor or the way the J1 handles noise but the images IQ wise are the same if not better than the X10 in my opinion..

The only thing for me that lets the X10 down is the focus speed. The J1 certainly shines in that respect... Im taking shots of my children so need to be able to focus fast...

Ive only had the camera a day and am no where near getting through all the settings but here's a quick snapshot from yesterday..

Yep - a grossly under estimated (under mentioned) system - good shot.

jamin100 said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benr167/8102377274/
photo by BenR167, on Flickr

Lovely shot

I've jumped in and bought a V1 now that the price is almost down to the level of an 'enthusiast' compact camera. I'm too old to manage with just a screen and even the X10's OVF isn't quite good enough so the V1 should do nicely. I made a mistake and didn't buy the twin lens kit but picked up a mint 30-110mm from MPB then got lucky and picked up a mint FT1 from eBay for £110. I've also fitted one of Richard Franiec's grips. I must get out and actually use the camera soon.....

I don't understand why the 10-30mm doesn't come with a lens hood when the 30-110mm does but eBay to the rescue again.

What, if anything, are folks using to get wider than 10mm? This, apart from not being able to use my existing flashguns, seems the major omission from the system at the moment.

Jonathan

Seen the new v2 yet? I just had the marketing email through and to my eyes it looks ugly.

I was thinking of a return to the fold, but maybe not. Maybe it's a grower!

Seen the new v2 yet? I just had the marketing email through and to my eyes it looks ugly.

I was thinking of a return to the fold, but maybe not. Maybe it's a grower!

+1. I find it rather ugly. Even the V1 with the Richard Franiec's grip dosen't look that horrible.

Anyone got the 18.5mm f/1.8 yet?

Wonder what kind of bokeh shots this lens can take.

Only just found this topic and being a J1 owner I will spend some time looking through it before making any comments.

Impressed so far though. :cool:

Hey guys, now the V2 is out would you like me to change the thread title to 'Nikon 1 series owner's thread' or are you happy the way it is?

BTW, the V2 and recent Nikon lens announcements are finally addressing the reasons I sold mine. Maybe I'll return once I'm happy the system is a little more mature and useful for my needs...

Seems appropriate to change the title unless each model will get its own thread. Considering how few people have got a 1 series probably best to keep it all together.

Interesting - I love my V1 to bits but so wish there were a couple of pancake style lenses which would make it almost pocketable

Sorely tempted by a 1V1 since I'm a Nikon DSLR shooter and have a selection of lenses, including plenty of AF-S/HSM ones, although I also have a few screw driven too.

Now it's question time!

The quoted post seems to indicate thet the V1 is a bit too bulky to be truly pocketable with the current lens lineup (I'm assuming the OP had the 10-30mm fitted?) - is this true? In an ideal world, the camera/lens would fit in a shirt's top pocket, although a lot of the time I would have other kit stashed in a bag on my shoulder.
Can the V1 confirm focus with the older AF (screw) lenses? And does the AF work properly with Sigma HSM lenses? I can only assume that the aperture will be electronically controlled with all AF lenses that have the connections.
Is the (?FT1) F mount adaptor available at a more affordable price yet (on the High Street or real dealers on the web?) or is it still quite pricey?
How well does the Nikkor 70-300VR AF-S work on the V1 (with the adaptor)?
Does the V1 give good JPEGS (large, fine) at A3 SOOC or do images need PP before large prints are possible?

Hi Nod,

I'll try and answer a few of your questions the best I can.

- Pocketable
IMHO it's a bit a bigger than your typical slimline P&S cameras and won't fit in your average top shirt pocket. The smallest/thinnest lens I believe is the 10mm f/2.8.
Depending on the size of your shirt top pocket, you may get it in there. But personally I wouldn't feel comfortable in having a £300+ camera there in case it accidentally slips/falls out.
I use a wrist strap instead of the supplied neck strap and just have my entire V1 kit in a small shoulder crumpler bag. (Houses the V1, 10-30mm, 30-110mm, 10mm and the SBN5 flash).

- Autofocus and lens compatibility
Don't know. Here is Nikon's published list:
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/accessories/mount_adapter_ft1/compatibility.htm

- FT1
I still find it a bit expensive at £190 new.
I think some other member has it on their J1/V1 with a 70-300VR lens. I'm sure I saw some posts from them before showcasing some pics taken.

- JPEG's SOOC
I'd shoot in RAW. Whilst the JPEG's are ok if you have the right white balance and colour profile, I find shooting in RAW and giving it some quick PP works best. I haven't tried any A3 prints, but surely 10mp is enough for it?

They're coming down in price now that the V2 has been launched.
I'm waiting to try out an 18.5mm f/1.8 before deciding to buy. Hopefully it works well for indoors and produce some reasonable bokeh.

Thanks for the answers, Dac. I had a feeling that it would be a bit of a squeeze to get it in a pocket, so that may rule it out of the running before it really gets started.

As far as I can tell, the FT1 should allow the use of any F mount lens, with the amount of automation depending on lens type, so I would expect AF-S etc lenses to AF but older screw driven ones to be MF only, although I think (but may be wrong) that the aperture will be controlled by the body. Of course, even older fully manual lenses will remain fully manual, as they do on my D700 (lucky I don't have any!). The extra £190 for the F mount adaptor would be an unwelcome extra expense, as would £120 or so for a flash.

Over the years, I've come to loathe PP, resorting to PSE only for cropping and maybe resizing/USM for printing if necessary. To me, raw is just an extra faff, although I do appreciate that it may give an extra level of control should one need it. This camera (whichever I choose) is basically for a pocketable camera capable of returning good files (JPEGs) for printing up to A3. I have an assortment of cameras already, ranging from a Minox M3 replica up to a D700 with several lenses, the only thing missing is a good compact (my D10 Canon is great for snaps and snorkelling but not so hot for "proper" photography!).

I've just bought a J1 twin lens kit from Jessops, couldn't resist at the price.

So far, I'm very impressed, far better IMO than any of the M4/3rds I tried , sharpness, noise control, colour, AF performance are all a revelation for a small CSC.

FLAME320.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the club, I bought a J1 and 10mm. FedEx still has it mind, though I do have a nice pice of plastic with a hole in it (FT1) hahaha. How they can charge so much for it I don't know. Drop your prices nikon and you will have millions of more sales.

I'm quite amazed by the detail coming out of the J1.

In the original of this picture you can see the man in black at the base of the lighthouse is looking at the LCD screen of the DSLR he is holding.

8242139503_c7351e9349_b.jpg

Dave1 said:
I'm quite amazed by the detail coming out of the J1.

In the original of this picture you can see the man in black at the base of the lighthouse is looking at the LCD screen of the DSLR he is holding.

Yep, the focussing on these things is amazing

I've just bought a V1 with the kit lens. The light is awful at the moment, but I'm seriously impressed so far. I'll be ordering the Ft1 in the new year hopefully. Any recommended settings for portraits? I've had the DR and NR turned off and WB set to slightly warmer colours. Spot focus mostly and neutral in picture control. Once I've got the FT1, I'll try my 35mm DX and probably buy the 55-200mm VR.

Bought the J1 the other day, nice little camera

I just bought the Mrs the twin lens J2 and I'm waiting to get my mitts on it to have a play.

I've got my eyes on an X100 but interested to see how this compares (obviously different camera for different purposes)

I got the V1 the other day and really like it, much prefer it to the SLR. Definitely think these CSCs are the way forward, with the interchangeable lenses I think I'll never want a DSLR again anytime soon! The colours on it are superb, I posted some samples in the general feedback forum. The only issue I'm having is with the poor light indoors, it's always at the highest ISO when at max. 800 is chosen and most of the time the photos don't come out sharp as they should. I'm sure the primes are better which ill look into in the new year.

. The only issue I'm having is with the poor light indoors, it's always at the highest ISO when at max. 800 is chosen and most of the time the photos don't come out sharp as they should. I'm sure the primes are better which ill look into in the new year.

Have you tried changing the setting? There is an autoISO 400 setting, or even manually setting the ISO to a specific value yourself.

can anyone owners of the nikon J1 recommend a camera bag? looking at the lowepro apex 100 which looks good. Only need it to hold the camera with 10-30 attached, charger and 30-110

Back