Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 for £799!

Nice find! I initially thought it was going be a PlayTrade item, judging by the price, but apparently not. A shame I bought a second hand one already, otherwise I would have snapped this up.

Dont forget, this will be coming in from Jersey so you would have to pay import duty and vat on top of the £799

Dont forget, this will be coming in from Jersey so you would have to pay import duty and vat on top of the £799

Dont think you do, not paid any extra on memory cards, games, dvds from Play in Jersey

Dont think you do, not paid any extra on memory cards, games, dvds from Play in Jersey

That's because they are sent in shipments below the VAT threshold, if you read Play's t+cs it states that if you are outwith Jersey then you are liable for any import duty.....

"If your delivery address is outside of Jersey, you may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once a shipment reaches your country. Any such additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you. You should note that customs policies vary widely from country to country; Play.com advises each customer to contact their local customs office for further information."

Last edited:
At £600 plus vat £90 and import duty ??? I would guess an end price of £750, it is a bargain. Shame i'm skint really.

I bought a monitor from Play - at £180 and never had to pay duty. I'm fairly certain that as Jersey is part of the UK, we're not hit.

Jersey and the other Channel Islands are not a part of the UK though, they are a Crown Dependency. That's why they have their own bank notes and tax regime.

If you've bought stuff from Play.com, 7dayshop etc. you'll find a customs declaration stuck to the box/jiffy bag because you are importing goods from outside the UK.

I just phoned them, they say there's no VAT or duty to pay 0845 800 1020 if anyone wants to confirm

we'll see if they know what they're on about when mine turns up

I just pulled the trigger on this too.

Looks like you might have just got the last one - the price has now disappeared, so I suspect they are now out of stock.

It will be interesting to see how you get on with VAT payment. According to the HM Revenue & Customs website:

If you buy goods online from Jersey or Guernsey

* Customs duty will not be charged.
* Import VAT is charged if the value of the goods is €22 (£18) and over.
* Many Channel Islands companies are part of a ‘VAT pre-payment’ scheme. This means you will be asked to pay import VAT if the value of the goods is over €22 (£18) at the time you pay for the goods. In this case you will not have to pay any additional costs when you receive your goods.
* Excise duty will be charged for some goods, for example alcohol and tobacco.

The play.com website does not make it clear if the VAT has been pre-payed or not (unless its well hidden).

Looks like you might have just got the last one - the price has now disappeared, so I suspect they are now out of stock.

Could be :shrug: Checking the status it says "order taken"

I phoned them again and the guy told me that the price on the website includes UK VAT, however the t+c page makes it clear that the prices do not include it -

"If your delivery address is outside of Jersey, you may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once a shipment reaches your country. Any such additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you. You should note that customs policies vary widely from country to country; play.com advises each customer to contact their local customs office for further information."

Mind you, it's a moot point if they don't have any left :LOL:

phew, they ran out, thank god... my bank account has taken enough of a beating recently!

the price was down to £599 on play so I ordered one yesterday. this morning I recieved an email asking me to contact them when I did they told me it was a mistake and they don't even have that lens in stock I was realy gutted but at least they hadnt taken the money from my account. I gues I'll go to grays of westminster tomorrow and pay £999 for it.

not me selling, but there's at least one in the for sale section on this forum if you don't mind s/h :)

I've received this email so far, did you speak to someone or just receive an automated reply saysing it was a mistake.

This email is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order which has been passed to our dispatch department to be processed.

Thank you for ordering with www.play.com

Please check the following order information:

Order Reference(s) : ********

Item : Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom Lens
Price : GBP 599.99
Quantity : 1
Delivery Cost : Free

Did you manage to get one? my order didnt get through because they didnt have it they told me.

Still saying "Order Taken" and no email as yet :shrug::thinking:

There seems to be a lot of this "accidental" pricing going on - I wonder how many other photography forums play.com got exposure on as a result of this...:cautious: :naughty:

Apparently they're waiting for stock to come in :thinking: CS girl said it could be 28 days.

Just called again today and they said it was showing up as "end of line" and they wernt getting anymore in so they cancelled my order :(

They did the same to me, because of them I misses a mint 2nd hand one for £550 with 6 months guarantee.:bang:

Now that hurts.........

Last edited:
Well, thanks to this thread (and dapprman who talked me into it), I bought one from them on the Friday night (12th June), and had an email telling me that the order had been despatched this afternoon, so hopefully I'll get it before the weekend!

Congrats..... They must have just had a job lot and no more.

Thanks. It does make me wonder how they got a job lot at the kind of price that allows them to undercut anybody else by 30% or more! Hopefully it hasn't fallen off the back of the metaphorical lorry...(though I would doubt it, given their size and reputation).

With any luck, they'll get some more and fulfil the rest of the orders that have been cancelled/delayed as a result. I can't afford any more lenses for a while now, but if they could do the same deal on a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 sometime about October, I might have saved up enough by then!

Who knows. I did do a bit of googling and it seems there was a bit of a debarcle when the xbox 360 was launched. Bundles changing and prices going up ete.

Glad I started this thread now! Hope you enjoy it. Show us some of the photos from it!
I will. It arrived this afternoon, but so far, all I've had time to do is unpack it and take a few test shots (still at work at the moment). I'll have to try and do it justice over the weekend.

Glad at least some of you managed get yourself a bargain on a new one - they're great lenses.

I have a second hand one for sale over here (y)

amazing how perceptions of value change . . . I bought mine for £600 and thought that was a lot - a few years ago . . .

Back