Nikon 2 year warranty

Edit My Images
No
Anybody had difficulty registering equipment to qualify for this two year warranty? I purchased a D700 12 months ago, registered it on the Nikon website (or so I thought). Heard nothing so checked and they (Nikon) appeared to confirm all was in order - until, a letter from Homeserve arrived recently inviting me to send them £77 as 'the manufacturers warranty runs out on September 23rd'
I have'nt tried to contact them because I know it will be a lengthy and frustrating experience trying to explain it all so I might just pay up. I must admit that they provided an extended warranty for my D1 years ago. That required a visit to Nikons service department resulting in a £700+ bill which they paid without question.
I'm just intrigued to know if anybody has had the same experience.

I did the same and registered it on line. When I checked later in the year there was no evidence of it. I emailed Nikon and they confirmed it was covered for 2 years.

I did the same and registered it on line. When I checked later in the year there was no evidence of it. I emailed Nikon and they confirmed it was covered for 2 years.

Glad you raised this Cambridge. I've had two of these letters from Homeserve (with the Nikon logo iin the top right hand corner) in the past week.

It gives the impression they want money but that can't be right if the two year warranty is included at the time of purchase.

Looks dodgy to me :nono:

I wouldn't pay for an extended warranty. Chances of something going wrong are next to zero if it doesn't go wrong in the first couple of thousand clicks. Never ever had a problem.

There is something dodgy going on as I had two letters from HomeServe this week as well. Each requested £77.88 for the second years warranty without actually specifying what was covered.

I bought a camera in March which I registered and is covered by their two year warranty. I also bought a lens in April which I also registered, but that only has the standard one year warranty.

Since the letters do not specify what the warranty covers, I am not sure if they are trying to get me to pay for the camera which is already covered, or if both are for the lens. Either way, £77.88 for each lens and camera per year is way too expensive and so I just chucked them in the bin.

I've had no problem registering, and even older kit still shows as registered. Sounds more like a scam, someone has got hold of Nikons database, either that or you're being watched :cautious:

I registered mine fine and when I login to nikon site I can still see them there with the warranty showing...

I can see products that I have registered under 'your account > product registration'.

Where does it show details of the warranty remaining?

I've had no problem registering, and even older kit still shows as registered. Sounds more like a scam, someone has got hold of Nikons database, either that or you're being watched :cautious:

No I don't think it's anything like that. I think Nikon have contracted out the added warranty to Homeserve (Homeserve used to do Dixon's stuff as i recall) and Homeserve are now trying to charge us for something that Nikon offered free.

That's my interpretation but I'll call Nikon and homeserve tomorrow if we haven't got the definitive answer by then.

I had the same thing, I rang Nikon as my camera was with them for repair at the time. They confirmed the camera was registered with a 2 year warranty.

They do use Homeserve, but were not sure why I had been asked if I wanted to extend the warranty past the first year.

I received the repair invoice by email yesterday and it said the camera was repaired for free under the 2 year warranty.

I can see products that I have registered under 'your account > product registration'.

Where does it show details of the warranty remaining?

My bad I hastily read it, your absolutely right, It shows the registered products but not the warranty... which is odd. I guess you have to assume that they have records of when you registered the warranty is the start date of when you registered the product online?

They do use Homeserve, but were not sure why I had been asked if I wanted to extend the warranty past the first year.

I was just thinking, I wonder if Nikon told Homeserve that some of their products come with a 2 year warranty.

Homeserve might be expecting loads of orders to come flooding in.

i got a letter from home serve last week about my warrenty.

on there clearly saying to extend the policy, its would cost £77.88

i phoned them up, queried with them. now i have another piece of mind.

but did have to explain on the nikon website, is was a two year warranty.

there are sending out the new warranty form this week some time for conformation

The extra 1 year warranty is a debacle.

Despite registering every new camera I buy since this was introduced (D700, D300, D60, D90) Nikon have never ever me sent this extra extended warranty from HomeServe.

The extra 1 year warranty is a debacle.

Despite registering every new camera I buy since this was introduced (D700, D300, D60, D90) Nikon have never ever me sent this extra extended warranty from HomeServe.

My own experience as well!

Just an after thought.....Could this have anything to do with where the camera was purchased?

Well, the intrigue continues. Thanks to Bemcsa I have at least now confirmed that my equipment is registered with Nikon. Is there a breakdown in communication somewhere. Are Homeserve aware of the extended warranty that Nikon are supposedly offering. For those who have'nt had the letter from Homeserve, it clearly states that " your manufacturers guarantee runs out on ***** i.e. 12 months after purchase date and "Nikon would like to introduce Nikon Product Protection brought to you by Homeserve" On the plus side, it does go on to say that as well as break down cover, it also covers for accidental damage and theft. That in itself could be worth the cost of the £77.88 premium but still does'nt explain the missing 2nd year cover!
(Just found the original Nikon leaflet that came with the camera which states ...
'additional 12 months cover Free giving a total of two years protection along with the opportunity to extend protection for third year including accidental damage and theft' That the suggests that Nikon take care of the first 2 years and Homeserve after that) Sorry for going on a bit!

Homeserve are a Pita! I have had a number of these letters recently and none of them specify WHICH item they are asking you to pay the extra warranty on. Sure, there is a reference number, but it is a number that means nothing to me and for identifying an specific item, the number is as useful as a bag of carrots!

Nikon should get their act together, if they are going to appoint an outside warranty agency, they should at least make sure that the agency knows what they are supposed to be doing!:rules::annoyed:

Homeserve? :razz:

Once upon a time....
Just spoken to Homeserve and they tell me the invitation to take 'Nikon Product Protection' applies to my D300 - ' but I have'nt got a D300' I replied. 'Oh yes you do sir, I have it down here' - 'You can't because I have'nt got one, any way, my enquiry is to do with a D700 bought and registered 12 months ago'... 'Oh, I've got that down as well and that is covered until September 2010' ...breathe a sigh of relief.

Of course this would have been sorted sooner (as somebody on here mentioned) if the letter had referred to a specific piece of equipment and not just their reference number.

I gave HomeServe a call as well and apparently there was an error in transferring the data across. They have corrected my details and promised to send confirmation by post.

I expect they would have been happy to take the £77.88 if I had not queried it, so thanks for the heads-up to Cambridge

I just got my paperwork through for my D90 which i got in May, i have only got the one year cover not the two i registered for.

Same here! Bought my D90 in Feb, just got the paperwork from Homeserve and it covers me until Feb of '10 (1 year). Useless.

...Registered my d90 and 18-200 lens. After a week or so I got two letters back saying thanks for registering for 2 years free cover etc and stating end date of cover as 08/11, so they got the cover right. I just can't see any difference in the letters so don't know which covers which.

Edit:

Just rang Homeserve. Apparently they don't cover separate lenses and the second lot of paperwork was just a duplicate :) The body is covered. Guessing the lens is directly dealt with by nikon themselves :thinking:

Back