Nikon 200-500 f5.6

Im happier with my copy now. Micro adjust worked wonders.+2 on the D4s and +5 on the D850. Much better in half decent light so decided to keep the copy i have and just bought a set of neoprene camouflage covers for it- they are a bit thin but seem fine.

Great shot, especially like the full landing. Are these taken on the D500. Hows the auto focus with the Tc on?

Thanks ... yes these were with the D500.
I would say that with reasonable light there is only a small hit to AF by attaching the 1.4 (and remember that there is no previous Nikon that can match the D500 AF).
The Coot shot for example was a good test, these birds move very quickly and quite erratically (and it was a fair distance away) so getting the shot with a 1050mm equivalent lens makes me happy. :)

Reactions: WWA
Thanks for the reply gramps and sorry for the poor spelling in the initial message! Seriously hankering after the D500 and 200-500 combo now

Thanks for the reply gramps and sorry for the poor spelling in the initial message! Seriously hankering after the D500 and 200-500 combo now
I've had excellent results with my 200-500 and d500. Just make sure you get a good copy :).

Reactions: WWA
I have my bags packed for a week long trip to try and photograph Golden Eagles and decided to pack the 200-500 for the trip along with many other lenses, so its make or break for the lens. Either it will do a job for handholding or it gets sold on when i get back.

I have my bags packed for a week long trip to try and photograph Golden Eagles and decided to pack the 200-500 for the trip along with many other lenses, so its make or break for the lens. Either it will do a job for handholding or it gets sold on when i get back.
Where you off to Mark? Wherever it iscannot wait to see your results :)

Out in the mountains of Spain to try for the Goldies but might get a chance of an Imperial Eagle and some vultures if im lucky enough. Have my Nikon 24-70, 70-200, 200-500 and 600f4 to cover most bases. 600 on the tripod and the 200-500 for hand holding, the other lenses are if i get extremely lucky and for landscapes.

Last edited:
Out in the mountains of Spain to try for the Goldies but might get a chance of an Imperial Eagle and some vultures if im lucky enough. Have my Nikon 24-70, 70-200, 200-500 and 600f4 to cover most bases. 600 on the tripod and the 200-500 for hand holding, the other lenses are if i get extremely lucky and for landscapes.

He only wakes up to take pictures when he hears me and Chas shooting

Anyone used this for non-birds? Used to have the Nikon 300mm f4 then went to the Tamron 150-600. Tempted by this as hoping it would be sharper for planes, I know its winter but has anyone used it for planes/cars?

Anyone used this for non-birds? Used to have the Nikon 300mm f4 then went to the Tamron 150-600. Tempted by this as hoping it would be sharper for planes, I know its winter but has anyone used it for planes/cars?

I'm using the 200-500mm for aviation and military/combat projects (never shot wildlife!). I run a pair of D500's and for a few months ran the 200-500mm side by side with the later 80-400mm Nikkor. I've sold the 80-400mm as sharpness and AF acquisition/speed is much better on the 200-500mm, the loss of range isn't an issue to me as I use 70-200mm f2.8 on one body almost as my standard lens.

Can't help with the Tamron comparison, sorry.

GC

Im getting used to the 200-500 and with some micro adjustment on both cameras over the weekend then it looks lije i can keep it for a while. Much better in decent light and seems to be sharper than i have given it credit for as i had a high rate of keeper shots from today in the frozen Spanish mountains.

Back