[Nikon] 200mm lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Whilst wandering through Ken Rockwells pages I came across the cheap skate lenses page. I notice that on most pages he is selling the main lens (point in question was a 18-200 vr which i have and although ok is not the sharpest - vs the 105 macro anyway).

Interstingly he mentions a 200mm f4 lens. Has anyone used this and do they have some pics to show?

Assume you mean the 200/4 Ai/AiS lens. They are nice lenses, very compact and very good image quality -- though manual focus.

(point in question was a 18-200 vr which i have and although ok is not the sharpest - vs the 105 macro anyway).

That's like comparing a rusty spoon against a sharpened butchers knife. :)

lol spoon vs knife...

weirdly Ken rates the 18-200 to replace loads of lenses... personal preference I guess...

@acs
Thats what Ken said, however I have not used one and he mentioned that it is not a close lens. Would I be able to use it for macro work (say dragon flies resting) or is it really a long way off lens..?

:D Sorry, didn't realise you were thinking of the macro lens.

The closest marked distance for the macro is 0.71m on the Ai/AiS, and 0.5m on the AF -- while the MF lenses are good, the AF is the better lens optically.

Have a look at these http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=141 -- and look at the ones listed as 200/4 micro/macro.

You could also look at the Sigma 150 and maybe the 180.

Try using the 200 f4 with an extension ring....a trick many people who shoot macro forget about.

You can mount a 300 f2.8 on an extension ring and get MUCH closer focussing than the lens was ever intended for....your dragonflies suddenly fill the frame and for a lot less than a dedicated macro/micro Nikkor, plus you have the flexibility of a general purpose telephoto at the same time. 300 f4 same thing...or any of the lenses with a tucked away rear element.

Ok. I bought it. It's old manual. When I plug on the d300 it works but I am around a meter from a test subject. The camera says it's f22 to f95. I assume no contacts means it's guessing?

Are there any specific settings on the d300 I should use?

Have you set the non-CPU lens data option on the D300? When you do this you should be able to meter correctly in Aperture and Manual modes.

Yup, you plug in the focal length and max aperture value (with the aperture set to wide open).

Would be interesting to see how the Tamron Adaptall-2 ƒ/3.5 200mm compares.

I think I may have wasted my money :/

was in the garden today (mum n dads) and tried out the 200 on a monopod. Soon reverted back to the 105 Macro...

I still think the suggestion of extension rings might help it - as I wont be scaring the target insect... I'll post a new question on that soon...

200mm test
18-200 comparison
full pic 200mm
cropped pic 200mm

Back