NIKON 24-70 f2.8 LENS

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of getting this lens. Has anybody experience of it and what do you think. Raves all seem good:clap::naughty:

:D

Do a simple search; you will find many have bought it, and then sold it .. me being one of them.

The question is, why sell it ;)

I have it and its my favourite lens by far, infact sold my 50mm because this made it redundant. Use it for my landscape and general walk about stuff. Lots of money but worth every penny.

It's absolutely amazing, I bought the lens a few months ago... loved it on my D90 but love it even more on my D700!

I had the Tamron 24-70 2.8 and i'm glad I gave that back and bought the Nikon.

I also sold my 50mm when I got this lens.

:D

Do a simple search; you will find many have bought it, and then sold it .. me being one of them.

The question is, why sell it ;)

curious to this too?

I bought the lens about 6 months ago.
It looks like a pro lens, it feels like a pro lens, it takes pics like a pro lens.
It weighs like 10 pro lens.
If you need the quality at that focal length, then buy the lens.

This is a great lens. It's versatile and dependable. The only reason it doesn't see more time on my camera body is because it is a big chunk of a lens. Having said that, it never gets taken out of the bag and left at home.

yes, it's a good lens.

I bought one very early on to go with my D3 and replace my Tamron 28-75mm F2.8

Guess what.. the image quality of the Tamron was not far off..

The rubber focus ring is coming off the Nikon Lens now though, typical stupid Nikon glue issues!

I still advise people to seriously look at a used 28-70 though, unless you need the costs for a business.. My colleague still uses the 28-70 and there is no way you can tell the images apart.

Good luck, and enjoy whatever you choose.

Regards, Rob.

Its incredible, simple as. i think its stolen the title from the 80-200 af-s as the sharpest zoom nikon have made aswell.

It's amazing. It stays on my camera most of the time, it has got me into a bad habit of not using my primes though so I've got to split the balance I think.
Get it! Grab a zero percent credit card and get it now. :p :)

Mmm, ok, what's the answer?

curious to this too?

I bought the lens about 6 months ago.
It looks like a pro lens, it feels like a pro lens, it takes pics like a pro lens.
It weighs like 10 pro lens.
If you need the quality at that focal length, then buy the lens.

While this Nikon lens is an outstanding lens, it's got too many outstanding qualities; there are a number of reasons why many have sold them. Personally, I got rid of mine as it was just too heavy to lug around with me; and I went through a phase of using primes only, which also made me concentrate more on the subject and my composition.

Eventually I got to regret the sale (within a few minutes of walking away from the post office :p ), as with most of the stuff I've sold, and have since bought another copy.

Worth noting, I bought mine just as soon as when it was released (it was announced Aug. '07, but released Nov. '07). I sold it with very little loss in £ value .. but when I bought my new copy I've had to fork-out a bit extra due to the prices increasing. That could have been a motive for many to sell some "less used" items.

So, on a scale out of 10, I'd rate this lens at 8+ (it loses a mark for not being 100% internal focusing .. and another mark having a front-focusing issue, though this was rectified under warrantee).

It's a great lens, and if you need the convenience of a zoom with that range then it's perfect. I sold mine recently as I never really used it very much (prefer faster primes). Whenever I did use it though, results were spot on. Yes it's relatively big and heavy, but perfectly manageable.

In my opinion, it does not replace a set of prime lenses with similar focal ranges - not becuase it's not sharp, but because I don't consider f/2.8 to be that fast anymore and I prefer the creative control that primes from f/1.4 up give - that's a significant difference for me.

I wouldn't pay anymore than £950 for a perfect used example though if I were you.

I have this lens and use it a lot. It is a superb lens. I don't believe that its better than the 28-70mm Nikon that I had though.
I really can't see myself selling this copy though. The weight doesn't seem to bother me. Its likely to be paired with the D3 for the next couple of weeks whilst I'm in france.

Kev.

I managed to get a good priced Sigma 24-60 f2.8, which I have been trying on the 5D MkII.

Had some very good results from it. Can recommend Sigma f2.8 glass on full frame.

Anybody any experience of the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 on a D700? Due to lack of funds I am considering it until I buy the nikon 24-70...

Solo,

I believe you will find Puddleduck have had that combination; and he's recommended it a number of times.

There is another thread about this, sorry but my Internet is dead-slow otherwise I would have dug it up for you.

the 24-70mm is on my body at all times, on FF it is brilliant nuff said

Best lens I've EVER owned - end of story!

The perfect match for the D700 for 95% of my needs

Which one Daveproctor? 14-24, or the 24-70?:shrug:

Those filter solutions don't really overcome anything that using a much lighter 17-35 would solve. You can use a standard 77mm wide ring for that one!

Glad I kept the 17-35 and resisted the ultra wide of the new trilogy.

I love my sigma 28-70 so if nikons quality compared to the sigma teles is anything to go buy i would gladly trade in either one of my legs and maybe a kidney for the nikon 24-70

Sorry Lensflare - I was referring to the 24-70

I had the 17-35 which was a great lens too although I prefer the superb colour rendition and contrast of the 24-70, I suspect this is due to the nano coating on the newer lens

I p/x'd the 17-35 for a manual focus Zeiss 18mm because I love manual focus primes and found I only used the 17-35 in preference to the 24-70 when I needed the widest setting

the lens is incredible, ive had it around 8 months now, and i use it on my d700 until i can afford my d3x.

if you buy it you will never regret it.
scott

Well neither is a solution. I want to use the filter at 14mm, on Full Frame, with filters. Someone somewhere must be able to do it :D

The last message in the first thread actually points out that Cokin X-Pro will not vignette on FX on 14mm - but then you will have other problems (reflections). Those other problems however, I have seen been sorted in another thread by using the wide angle hoods (Lee one or somebody elses).

There is also a simpler solution (Lee Frost filters book) - attach a square filter (or filters) dirtectly to the lens hood (blue tack is your friend here;)) and use wide angle hood from one of those large square filter systems to keep reflections away. This will easily allow to use ND and ND grads with minimal vignetting (none at all if sufficiently large filters) which is what you need at 14mm (surely no polariser at 14mm)

The last message in the first thread actually points out that Cokin X-Pro will not vignette on FX on 14mm - but then you will have other problems (reflections). Those other problems however, I have seen been sorted in another thread by using the wide angle hoods (Lee one or somebody elses).

There is also a simpler solution (Lee Frost filters book) - attach a square filter (or filters) dirtectly to the lens hood (blue tack is your friend here;)) and use wide angle hood from one of those large square filter systems to keep reflections away. This will easily allow to use ND and ND grads with minimal vignetting (none at all if sufficiently large filters) which is what you need at 14mm (surely no polariser at 14mm)

Cheers,

that helps a lot. So other than reflections, there is a solution? And in order to loose the reflections, we simply need shade?

This is sounding very good :)

Gary.

It is a great lens. Great lenses are not just about sharpness, like my 60mm afs macro the images from this lens have a magical 3d quailty about them. The colour, contrast and the definition are just superb. It is an expensive lens, but you get what you pay for with Nikon, mostly!

Cheers,

that helps a lot. So other than reflections, there is a solution? And in order to loose the reflections, we simply need shade?

This is sounding very good :)

Well there is a drawback - you will need to invest in a large filter system and carry them around as added weight ;). I am sure the results will be worth it though. Try to google up the shading/filters for this lens, I am sure I have seen it relatively recently on a web somewhere (didn't took a bookmark unfortunately so can't point you out directly).

Well there is a drawback - you will need to invest in a large filter system and carry them around as added weight ;). I am sure the results will be worth it though. Try to google up the shading/filters for this lens, I am sure I have seen it relatively recently on a web somewhere (didn't took a bookmark unfortunately so can't point you out directly).

Not bothered about carrying more gear. I just want to ensure it works thats all :D

Thanks for the help. I am thinking big brolly to help with reflections.

Gary.

I'm using the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 on my D700 and D300 - fantastic lens, pin sharp and gerat build quality. It's become my 'workhorse' lens. It's heavy though but I'll put up with that.

Back