Nikon 24-70 (non VR) vs Tamron 24-70 VC

JJ!

Edit My Images
No
So I want/need to get a 24-70 for my D750 and its between these two. Reviews online are really good for both lenses so need some help for TP!

I have been offered a mint as new Nikon for £750 (UK supplied and under warranty). I think the cheapest Grey Tamron is around £560ish so my questions are:

Is the Nikon worth the extra price over the Nikon?
Will VC make a huge difference?

I'm not brand specific so wouldn't choose the Nikon just because its Nikon.

I can't help but feel that the VC would be a good benefit for low light handheld stuff, but hopefully you guys can give me your opinions.

This will be my general purpose work horse including and up and coming (non charged) wedding.

Any input be greatly appreciated before I bite the bullet

I'd go with the Nikon. I'm going to get one myself later in the year as they're a good backup for my primes and convenient for my home studio work.

The Tamron is a lottery, you may have to try a few before settling on one. I prefer the robustness of the Nikon too, they're built like a tank and the AF is pretty awesome.

I've had both.

Even through the Tamron was a little sharper I still prefer the images from the Nikon.

Also as has been pointed out Tamrons quality control is simply awful and you really do run the risk of getting a bad copy.

If I was buying again I'd go with the Nikon without a doubt.

I think Tamron believe the end user does the QC on the 24-70, so make sure you get one from somewhere you can return it easily etc if it is a dud.

(And I say this as someone who likes Tamron lenses).

So that's 2-1 to the Nikon. I knew this wasn't going to be an easy choice!!

I think Tamron believe the end user does the QC on the 24-70, so make sure you get one from somewhere you can return it easily etc if it is a dud.

(And I say this as someone who likes Tamron lenses).

That's the trouble as could only afford grey and it might become an expensive hassle sending back a few copies if it came to that!!

But I think the VC might be really useful!

Last edited:
That's the trouble as could only afford grey and it might become an expensive hassle sending back a few copies if it came to that!!
2nd hand from a UK camera shop where you could try in store? MPB?

MPB don't have any right now.

The Tamron new UK is only a bit less than what the Nikon is (I might be able to negotiate price a little) so I just have no idea.

Tricky decision when so much money involved!

I have found VR on previous Nikon lenses to be a great advantage... so maybe the Tamron is the way forward.

Last edited:
I love my nikon and it does feel solid. There are reports of it being fragile and easily damaged if dropped/shocked, but mine has been fine even after being accidentally dropped 2ft onto a wood floor (camera mount was damaged however :( ).

No experience of the tamron but seen good reviews, Matt K has a comparison review (http://www.mattk.com/thoughtsreview-on-the-tamron-24-70mm-lens/) from a few years ago and I think he went on to buy the tamron and still uses it.

Last edited:
I'm trying to gauge how much VC would advantage me. What's a good shutter speed to be able to use handheld when shooting indoors?

I have a 24-85 on loan and was going to switch VR off and see what I can do. Although it's not a 2.8 so kind of irrelevant!

Having slept on it, I think I want the VC even if it means trying a few copies.

EBay selle called Kosher has it for £550. Have purchased from them before but going to ask them if I can return if have focus issues before I purchase!

Back