Nikon 28-105 on D700

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I generally use my 24-70 on my D700 and love it - the downside is it is huge!!!

We're shortly going on holiday for a few days to Paris. It's a family holiday so I don't want to carry around loads of heavy camera gear.

I'd resigned myself to using one of my compacts but I've never been to Paris before and would really like to get some decent shots. It occured to me that it might be an option to buy a smaller kit lens but I still want decent quality.

I've read good things about the old Nikon 28-105 (especially on the naturfotograf site - and he seems to know his stuff) but I'd welcome any feedback from people who've used the 28-105 with a D700. I have the chance to get one at a decent price but need to move quickly as we go away very soon.

Thanks

I suppose it depends what a 'decent price' is and what you expect from it.

I use an old 28-105 film lens as a 'walk about' lens. and it's ok unless you compare it with the 24-70 (still on my wish list!) or the 70-200. I used it at the New Forest Show yesterday and any shortcomings are probably down to me rather than the lens, but I didn't want to carry loads of heavy gear or keep changing lenses. I'll post piccies as soon as I've had a chance of pp them! :)

Would you also use it after your Paris trip?

Jean

its a great lens i took it along with my 50mm f1.4 on my holliday

wide, short telephoto and micro all in one (y)

and of course with a D700 you can easy bump the iso

its a very well regarded lens

Take the 24/70 lens, while it may be big, that and the d700 combo will get some great shots.

just had a look around for you 2 at grays

and one at mifsuds good price to £179

if your anywhere near oxford you can try mine out

Thanks folks - I've taken the plunge and ordered it.

I'm not expecting it to match the 24-70 but I'll enjoy not having to carry around such a heavy combination. Feedback here has been good and I've also read a lot of positive feedback elsewhere.

I expect I'll keep hold of it because I do find the 24-70 just too big for family days out but I still want the quality of pictures that the D700 produces compared to say my G10

Appreciate the feedback from everyone

Back