Nikon 28-70 experiences

I've got one. Probably never gonna change it for the 24-70. Super sharp, great colour. Built like a tank. I love mine. Get one....now

Oh, and I love having a lens called The Beast. After all, you can fight your way out of a bar with it.

I've got one. Probably never gonna change it for the 24-70. Super sharp, great colour. Built like a tank. I love mine. Get one....now

Oh, and I love having a lens called The Beast. After all, you can fight your way out of a bar with it.

:agree: with Trev.... But I sold mine to get the Nikon 24-70mm when I went FF... Sadly I never got round to trying it out on my D700 thou :crying: I only used it on my D300s when I had it...)

Get one if you can - cracking "beastie" of a lens - (y)(y)

Had one. Superb lens. Swopped it for the 24-70mm. Not sure there is much in it to be honest.
If you can find a mint one, buy it!

keV

Just been scouring my Library, not much at f2.8 at 28mm
Might not be much good to you..
1..f2.8 28mm
5128300500_307a5bb000_b.jpg

2..f2.8 70mm
5127685813_0e48d73561_b.jpg

Last edited:
I have the 28-70, my partner has the 24-70. I've done comparison shots with both, and while the 28-70 is an absolutely fantastic lens, AF is super fast and its pretty much sharper than any lens i've used, i have to hand it to nikon, i have no idea how they did it, but they really did better it with the 24-70. While i would say AF speed and sharpness are pretty much identical, the 24-70 defiantly provides crisper images. I think it has something to do with the way it separates in focus objects from the bokeh. This might have something possibly to do with different design aperture blades? Or maybe its the nano coating, but there is a difference between the two lens at wide apertures.

28-70mm wide open manually focused because the af motor had failed. £300ish to repair.

richard.jpg

Kev.

She will hate me for posting this, but its the only photo i would want to upload thats of a high resolution. The other half :D

28mm 2.8

katy343.jpg

There's very little in it apart from weight. Slightly less CA visible on very high contrast subjects on the 24-70 due to the nano-chrystal coating.
Older lens is also slightly slower to focus.
The older 28-70 is built like a tank and reports from my buddies at Calumet UK suggest that the newer 24-70 is much more fragile - they've had more in for repair due to impact-damage than other Nikkor lenses.

That said I had mine in Afghan for 6 months and it was fine despite being battered to firk...

:thinking:
The 28-70 must have been handy there then Rob - if they ever ran out of shell's they could've fire the "beast" from the tank's.....

:thinking:
The 28-70 must have been handy there then Rob - if they ever ran out of shell's they could've fire the "beast" from the tank's.....

I last used the 28-70 for 'work' on a Tour of Bosnia back in 2000 when I still used F5 bodies.
After we went to 2/3-frame DSLRs in 2001, I used a 17-35 instead. Now with the issue of the D3 we've gone over to the 24-70.
I occasionally used my personal 28-70 for studio and portrait work til earlier this year when I sold mine to another TP member and bought a 24-70 to replace it...

til earlier this year when I sold mine to another TP member and bought a 24-70 to replace it...

:thinking: I remember that well - as I just missed out by minutes on buying it :LOL:

Ooops...sowwy...:D

:eek: Oh Oh thats it apologise now why dont you.... Bit late dont you think :cautious: :LOL:

Doesn't matter now as I got one soon after that - for which I then sold recently & then got the Nikon 24-70 in the end when I got my D700 :confused:

Back