Nikon 28-70 f2.8 vs Tamron 24-70 f2.8

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys!

I am currently deciding between these 2 lenses for a FX camera. The Tamron (new) is probably about £100 more expensive than a used Nikon 28-70. I was just wondering apart from VC the Tamron offers, can anyone comment on the optics of both lenses?

Not used the tamron, but it did do well in the group test in Amateur Photographer a while back. I do have the Nikon 28-70 though and it is an extremely good lens, but also big and heavy. Image quality is noticeably better than the old sigma 24-70 I had before. I suppose it all comes down to whether you really want 24 or 28 at the wide end.

From the reports I have read on the tamron it is reited very highly, some are saying it is as good as the branded ones.

Again, not used the Tamron. I had the Nikon, it was superb. I only sold it thinking the new 24-70mm would be better. I would say that they are equal.
The quality of the 28-70mm was simply superb.

Kev.

Not tried the Tamron either, I guess very few people will have got their hands on one yet. The Nikon 28-70 2.8 is just brilliant though. Like Kevin above, I sold mine to get a 24-70, and though that is also superb, I may as well have saved my cash as I actually marginally prefer the 28-70. Same IQ but better build quality in my opinion.

Didn't i buy your 28-70 from you Kev, superb lens.

I think you did Gary! The grass wasn't any greener. As nice as the 24-70mm is, it isn't better than that lens.
I hope you're still enjoying it. (y)

Kev.

Wow, so am I safe to say IQ wise, the 28-70 is (almost) identical to the current 24-70? If so, what has been improved? The VC on the tamron apparently is very usable...

ahhh.... choices..... choices....

Yeah, so the nano crystal coat and 4mm at wider end makes it cost so much more eh. From what I read, the nano crystal coat is supposed to reduce flare and ghosting. I suppose the extra 4mm matters to people working in tight spaces

I've got The Beast. Never tried the Tammy, or anything other than Nikon. If you can live without the wide end don't hesitate. It's a fabulous lens. Very heavy, but so sharp it hurts. Can't see me ever letting it go.

28-70 is affectionately known as 'The Beast' :)

Ahh.... The beast! Sounds like a good midpoint between the Nikon 24-70 and tamron 24-70

Back