Nikon 300mm lenses

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
I do a lot of photography of running and rowing, i was wondering whether the 300 f4 would be enough (one of my regular shooting places for running is in a wood possibly too dark) or if i would need the 300 f2.8?

Any other ideas? I only have the money for one 300 f2.8 but enough for quite a few 300 f4s (or one and some other lenses) :p

Daniel

I don't have the 300 f4 (nor the f2.8). But from very interesting threads on other forums, the f4 is, depending on usage, 80% what the f2.8 will give you at 25% the price (or whatever it is). If you don't really see the need for VR, I'd save the money and go with the f4.

I don't have the 300 f4 (nor the f2.8). But from very interesting threads on other forums, the f4 is, depending on usage, 80% what the f2.8 will give you at 25% the price (or whatever it is). If you don't really see the need for VR, I'd save the money and go with the f4.

hmm ok thanks, i was just thinking that even forgetting about VR, 2.8 might be better for the woods that i shoot in. an f4 VR would be perfect i think lol

Daniel

I am amusing you have a D40 going by your profile thing but for the money could could get the F4 and then one of the professional spec Nikons like the D3.

I am amusing you have a D40 going by your profile thing but for the money could could get the F4 and then one of the professional spec Nikons like the D3.

hmmm i was thinking of that, but i would also like to invest in some better glass before cameras :) money spent on lenses is miles better than money spent on cameras ;)

I was going to suggest the old f4 AF-D but it wouldn't AF on your D40 body :(

Also, if you've never used 300mm before, and you want to shoot in darker environments, I think working on improving technique (stability for slower exposures) will, in the long run, be more beneficial than the extra stop of light. When I've tried a VR lens (admittedly a 600mm f4 VR), it blew my mind and I was able to get away with stuff I normally wouldn't have. So it's easier to get instant gratification. But I'd still want to work on my technique. But that's just me :)

Have you thought about asking around if you could meet up with someone who has one to try it? Or alternatively, rent one for a few days and have a play? :)

True, but then you're going from a crop sensor to FX, and depending on what lenses, and if you have DX only lenses on your D40, you could only use them in crop mode on the full frame sensor.

But it's not a bad idea: if you were to get a second hand D200 for about £450-500, then you have a "pro" body with screw drive AF that opens up the possibility of using non AF-S lenses :)

True, but then you're going from a crop sensor to FX, and depending on what lenses, and if you have DX only lenses on your D40, you could only use them in crop mode on the full frame sensor.

But it's not a bad idea: if you were to get a second hand D200 for about £450-500, then you have a "pro" body with screw drive AF that opens up the possibility of using non AF-S lenses :)

hmmm good idea, i also want a D1 for a laugh :) but non AF-S lenses would open up a whole new window for me. :thinking:

Well, if you stretch to a D300, you'll get a much improved AF system as well as being able to use focus non AF-S lenses... But we're digressing :D

Well, if you stretch to a D300, you'll get a much improved AF system as well as being able to use focus non AF-S lenses... But we're digressing :D

or i use my second body (a D700(y)) just thought i would mention :p

Ahh, if you have a D700, then that changes everything (y) Don't be afraid of bumping up the ISO - the Auto ISO feature is incredibly useful for this kind of stuff :D

Ahh, if you have a D700, then that changes everything (y) Don't be afraid of bumping up the ISO - the Auto ISO feature is incredibly useful for this kind of stuff :D

ah coool thanks :). and dont worry i do know that it is very good at high ISO, i just wanted to know about for use on my D40 as a 2nd body :)

It is nearly always recomended to get the best glass possible. However having well over £3k of glass on a budget body may be taking things a bit too far. The full frame bodies may well give better quality at higher ISO settings. But the problem with upgrading to full frame pro body like the D700 or D3, is you would loose the crop factor (unless you set it to crop and waste lots of pixels)

Whilst its not a 300mm, how about the 70-200mm VR f2.8... then add a 1.4 convertor for a 98-280mm VR f4. Versatile, excellent quality and theres still some budget left over for a D300.

Sorry, I'm 20 minutes behind averyone else

Back