Nikon 35mm Af-D or Af-S

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
Yes
Am currently looking at buying a 35mm prime for my D80 as a lightweight portrait/candid snap lens and there are 2 available. Both will focus on my D80 so thats not an issue, so I guess it comes down to which overall is the better lens. Purely on looks I like the AF-D, plus i could get away with buying it as it will look "the same" as the 50mm i already have ;)

Advice as to which is "best" gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Have you had a look at the review on Fred Miranda? Probably worth a look if not. The AF-D is an excellent lens, and very sharp from wide open. I'd be surprised if the AF-S is any better to be honest.

I haven't used the f/1.8 however own the f/2 (in fact I have two), both picked up used for not much money at all. I think it's a very good lens and if I saw one for a decent price, wouldn't hesitate to pick one up.

There are threads about this if you search. Do you mean the 35mm f2 against the newer 35mm f1.8G?

The latter is meant to be very good and very sharp but lacking in controls such as aperture ring etc. and only works on DX cameras.

I have the 35mm f2 and it is also very good although reputedly not as sharp as the f1.8. Not sure as I have never had both but I'm happy enough with the f2 I have. The 50mm is meant to be sharper though. The f2 feels like a proper lens and it will also work on Fx should you take that path.

Just for consideration the 35mm is about 52mm on a DX, and I'd just ask do you find yourself using this focal length very often? If not is this the right lens? I'm happy to have mine but don't use it as often as I expected.

Many thanks for the replies, yes i did mean the f2 and the newer f1.8.
Am going to run the kit zoom at "35" to confirm its a useless length just to make sure, but am finding the 50mm sometimes a bit too long and would like the decent aperature and lighter weight (compared to the 18-135 kit zoom) when out and about.

Thanks again

Many thanks for the replies, yes i did mean the f2 and the newer f1.8.
Am going to run the kit zoom at "35" to confirm its a useless length just to make sure, but am finding the 50mm sometimes a bit too long and would like the decent aperature and lighter weight (compared to the 18-135 kit zoom) when out and about.

Thanks again

I think you'll prefer that focal range on your camera....the 50mm can feel a little long.

Back