nikon 50mm 1.8g vs 1.4g

Name
si
Edit My Images
Yes
my cousin has the 1.4g lens and i have been looking at the 1.8g. I'm nothing but a novice when it comes to photography. I can afford the price of the 1.8 but my cousin keeps saying pay the extra for the 1.4 but for what i know about cameras and lenses and not having an idea of what my shooting targets will be i dont see the point in paying extra.

Now obviously it does and i'm not arguing that fact but i was wondering how can 0.4 aperture make that much difference in a picture?

my cousin has the 1.4g lens and i have been looking at the 1.8g. I'm nothing but a novice when it comes to photography. I can afford the price of the 1.8 but my cousin keeps saying pay the extra for the 1.4 but for what i know about cameras and lenses and not having an idea of what my shooting targets will be i dont see the point in paying extra.

Now obviously it does and i'm not arguing that fact but i was wondering how can 0.4 aperture make that much difference in a picture?

The f1.4 is 2/3rds of a stop faster, it will let more light in, but having said that the 1.8g has received some glowing reviews and to be honest it would be my choice out of the two.

I have had a few of the various 1.4's but if I was buying again I'd probably just buy the 1.8. Arguably a better lens and cheaper as well.

I've heard from many sources that the 1.8g is better and sharper than the 1.4g or 1.4d. The 1.4g is supposedly the slower at focusing of the three as well. Im seriously tempted to sell my 1.4d and get a 1.8g

Seriously, get the 1.8. Ihave been looking at shed loads of image examples and the lens is superb. If you really need the extra 2/3 stop then get the 1.4 but otherwise get the 1.8.....I will be soon!!

Unless you really, really need that extra bit of low-light ability, or you really, really need the shallower depth of field, then go with the f1.8 version.

I absolutely love shallow depth of field so I'd always go with the 1.4 over the 1.8, however if you're going to make that jump you might as well go the whole hog and get the fantastic Sigma 50 1.4

As a complete novice I really can't see the benefit of getting that extra depth of field for a while, I just can't seem to understand how the 0.4 between the two lenses make so much of a difference if it was something like 2.4 i would understand

I had a 1.4 d, loved it and broke it. I then replaced it with a second hand 1.8d off here. Excellent lens for peanuts.

But with another baby coming I wanted another 1.4 so I bought a 1.4g off the bay. It really does make a difference for baby phots giving them a really dreamy, soft look. But the focus is slow.

If you're not shooting babies I'd save a bundle and buy a second hand 1.8d for £70 from here.

Had both and preferred the 1.8g tbh and found it sharper.

As a complete novice I really can't see the benefit of getting that extra depth of field for a while, I just can't seem to understand how the 0.4 between the two lenses make so much of a difference if it was something like 2.4 i would understand

F/ numbers are ratios, so the difference of 0.4 between f/1.4 and f/1.8 is a much much bigger difference than say f/5.0 and f/5.6. A 50mm f/1.4 opens up to just over 35mm across (aperture diameter) wide open, whereas a 50 1.8 only opens to under 28mm which is over 25% difference (square that difference for the areas.

In visual terms it won't matter too much. It makes a bigger difference on full frame when you're getting a lot more out of focus.

Also as another point, if you don't already have one I'd recommend either a Nikon 35 f/1.8 or Sigma 30 f/1.4 before you buy one of these.

I have had both. I hated the 1.4 as the CA was awful when wide open. The 1.8 was much better wide open in relation to CA and sharpness. For me, I found the 1.4 was a waste of cash and I soon sold it.

Hmm yeah, I never really considered 50s when I was a Nikon user, but I seem to find the consensus is that the Sigma 50 is a lot better than either Nikon 1.4.

Back