Nikon 50mm f1.8

Name
Quaker
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been umming and arring about getting one of these and decided to get a new one at the weekend, I took it out yesterday evening for an hour up to Sutton Scarsdale Hall (found out on arrival commercial photography is banned there) to have a play and I an really happy with it. Its far better than I thought it would be.

To be honest, I can't see me taking it off the camera that often!

If anyone is thinking of getting one and can't afford the F1.4, its a good lens to have.

It's a fantastic lens, it prompted me to buy the Sigma 30mm 1.4 as well which is even better. Will look to upgrade the 50 to a 1.4 now and get the 85mm 1.8 too.

Prime lenses are the way forward!

Had the 1.8 and was really pleased with it - then got the 1.4 and it really is brilliant (may also have something to do with the fact of moving from a D80 to a D700 at the same time...)

Also love using primes rather than zooms :agree:

The F1.4 is out of my price range for the time being as I have my daughters wedding looming. It was hard to decide whether or not to settle for second best with the 1.8 but I am glad I did.

The prime makes you more aware of your positioning which is a good thing imho.

The 1.8 is a cracking lens and great value for money. Is the 1.4 much different? Aside from the obvious (I rarely shoot at 1.8 so would probably never shoot 1.4) is it worth the upgrade? Is the lens even sharper?

If I was to upgrade to the f1.4 then the improvement in picture quality would have to be substantial to justify spending more than double the amount. Is the f1.4 twice as good?

Don't know myself as I have never used one.

To me it is as I now shoot almost exclusively without flash (and wide open :naughty:) - coupled with the D700's high ISO.

IMO it's also a better built lens with a damped focus ring.

I've got the 1.8 and i'm really happy with it, I can't imagine the 1.4 being that much better sharpness wise, you'll get a narrower dof , but is that worth twice the price:shrug:

I'll await to be corrected though:)

I'm sure you will get some great shots from it. 90% of my photos have been taken with the nifty fifty... ;)

Back