Nikon 60m 2.8 micro

G has no aperture ring and is AF-S so will focus on all nikon bodies. Faster focussing as a result of the built-in motor. No focus limiter. More expensive though.

D is identified by an aperture ring and mechanical screwdriver-type focussing so won't work on D40/40x/60/5000/3000. Will work on the D2x... it works on mine :) Includes a focus limiter to minimise AF hunting when shooting tiny macro stuff. Great build quality. Amazing optic for the money.

Reviews from photozone.de:

AF-S http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/394-nikkor_60_28
AF-D http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikk...icro-nikkor-af-60mm-f28-d-review--test-report

I like my D both as a macro and a portrait lens; ultra-sharp and good amounts of contrast without losing much tonal range. Doesn't like shooting into coal holes as it hunts a bit (like most AF_D lenses in that situation) but otherwise I find it a really good piece of kit. Bought mine for £230 used from MPB.

I think the 60mm focal length works well on a crop camera - works out nearer that 90/100mm mark that people used to bang on about for portraiture. Plus, it's fairly compact and lightweight so yuo can handhold easy. I used to use a 100mm macro for portraits when I had a Canon and that was top notch but not the easiest lens to handle because of the length. Much prefer this one. Plus, for macro, it's a comfortable working distance, although maybe too close for things like butterflies that can spook easy.

Remember, although it's a f/2.8 lens, the closer you are to a subject in terms of magnification (when shooting macro stuff) the aperture will start to change (i.e. go up). Will stay at f/2.8 for general portraiture though :)

Here's a macro shot i did with mine (sorry, can't find a portrait done on it at this monent :)...

Oki Dokey by Pat MacInnes, on Flickr

Last edited:
My guess is a fishing hook!

Superb quality image!!!

Looks like the making of a fly fishing hook and the tip of some forceps holding it

Back