Nikon 70-200/f2.8 II on Markins Ballhead

Name
nigel
Edit My Images
No
Hi Everyone,

I have recently been able to try out a Nikon 70-200/f2.8 II on my D300. The only way that I found to securely attach the Markins plate to the L-bracket of the lens, was by mounting it at 90 degrees to the underside of the L-bracket. Although this method works, it is somewhat less than ideal, as correctly mounting the plate onto the Markins ballhead is prone to (potentially expensive) error.

Ideally, I would like to use this lens in a variety of ways (hand-held, tripod & monopod). Does anyone have a solution for this combination of equipment or, if I have to ditch the Markins, what would be an alternative recommendation ?

Many thanks for your time.

Last edited:
thanks for the prompt response Rob.

unfortunately, whilst testing the lens (with a view to purchase) i discovered that there was a fault with the aperture control mechanism (huge over-exposure at all except widest aperture), so i have already returned it to the owner, so i am unable to experiment with fixing the plate "in-line" with the L-bracket foot. But from what I can see from the video, it looks like it should be possible - maybe I did not experiment enough :)???!!!

thanks again.

Usual practise with bigger lenses is to get a longer Arca-Swiss plate, 70-100mm-ish. Then you can slide the lens back and forth so it's in perfect balance. Loads of inexpensive plates on Amazon and 'bay.

Back