NIKON 70-200f2.8 LENS WITH 1.7TC FOR PLANES?

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone experience of this combination for shooting planes? Tried 300f4 with 2XTC at weekend and found it difficult to use - finding plane and autofocus slow. MIght have been better with siggy 150-500 I DIDNT buy. Comments please:bang::bang:

I have a 70-200 and had a x2 tc, both nikon, but found the af slow on the uptake. I would imagine your 300 would need to be a 2.8 to give the af a chance. From what I gather it practice practice practice irrespective of glass set up!

You're right about practice. my 300 is f4 - could not afford the 2.8. Unfortunately theres only 1 airshow a year in northern ireland so practice with planes is limited. YOu're lucky on the mainland.
The dealer who sold me the 3oo and TC said to use manual focus and autofocus didnt matter. Is this correct - could i set focus at infinity and shoot away without worrying?:bang::bonk:

The Sigma 150-500 is also slow to pick up and AF on planes in flight. The Nikon 70-300 VR was a LOT better. That would be slightly slower than a 200 f/2.8 but in the real world, probably not much.

One from a couple of weeks ago - resized and sharpened for web use.
3842112443_1f4edca5f9_o.jpg

Try picking the plane up earlier in the sequence. The 300 f4 should be fine, focus is no slower in the AFS than the f2.8, unless you have some special microsecond timers at hand. Practically speaking, there is no difference, not to lose shots through.

The 1.7 drops 1.5 stops though - so you now have an f6.3 is it? Maths isn't my strong point. But it is that which is hampering your focus, it is just too dark. Get a 1.4x (TC14?) and you'll be well away - that gives you a 420mm f5 and should allow the focus gang to do their jobs.

Aim to pick up your planes at distances while they are infinity - you don't need AF for that.

Just turn the focus override to set to infinity prior to choosing your target so you see the objects sharp in the viewfinder, and then put an AF point over it. It'll track in no problem.

The lens and TC combo is fine.

The problem (or one of them!) I was having was seeing the planes myself! The Reds were relatively easy, especially with smoke on but the camo'ed helis were almost impossible. I was having to tweak AF since it was trying to pick up on Dawlish beyond the aircraft.
3895853037_776126f688_o.jpg

ETA...

Oops! I had forgotten I had also use the D700 with a 70-200 f/2.8 for a couple of shots! This is one of them, shot at 200mm. The Vulcan was shot at 220mm on the D70.

The Nikon 70-200 f2.8 with 1.7TC should be right for airshows using a DX format camera e.g D40x, but is a bit short for FX cameras like the D700.

As for focus pick up I don't have problems with the Sigma 150-500 OS HSM nor with the Nikon 70-300 VR. I use them on the D40x and the D700. See post http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=160833 for Sigma/D40x/D700 examples.

It is down to technique, use AF-C for continuous focus and aim to pick up the aircraft as far out as possible.

The background sky and lighting will have a big impact on when, or if, focus lock occurs. A dull grey sky with a grey aircraft will be difficult for any type of kit.

Ed

I find that keeping my non-viewfinder eye open and looking at the plane with it - a split vision thing - helps me get the camera pointing in the right area. Obviously you didn't have the ability to zoom out then in once located. Some of the fast jet boys in transport are undoubtedly better qualified to answer the question of a fixed 300 and a 2x, but I'm guessing it may be a bit much, especially on a crop frame camera. Maybe a 1.4x (or the Nikon equivalent) would be better.

Will maybe reframe this question in 'transport'
So Edward, you would recommend the Siggy 150-500 lens. Am sorely tempted to try one as the price is very competitive. I know you get what you pay for:clap::clap:

The 70-200mm vr works fine with the 1.7. I used to use it regularly. Also the 1.4.
Focus was fast and image quality good. I must admit I don't use that combo much since I bought the 300mm 2.8.
But if I ever want a smaller/lighter set-up I'm more than happy to use it.

Kev.

Kev, how do you find the prime 300 fixed focal length for aircraft? Thats a kind offer for the lens!!!!!!!!!:bang:

It took a while to get used to not zooming for shots. But after a while you find yourself thinking more about the shot and getting in the better position for the frame/angle you're after.
The actual focal length is perfect for what I need. Just right for air shows and up in the hills where I shoot. I've yet to need the 1.4 or 1.7. Not even tried them on it.
I've even found that I'm managing fine at FF on the D3.

Kev.

Back