Nikon 80-200 compatibility

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
Are there any issues with using the Nikon 80-200 ed af-d on the D300.
According to his lordship (Ken Rockwell) he says it is not worth using the above lens on the D300.
What would be the reason for this and should i avoid buying one.:shrug:

Last edited:
I used one on my D200 and D2x for years - cannot for one moment think of a reason why it wouldn't work with a D300 - Ken does have his off days though...... ;)

Overall, it's an amazing optic both generally, and when you look at the price it sells for. I bought mine as a replacement for a back-focussing Sigma 70-200 HSM and TBH, the Nikon just seemed to offer so much more in terms of build and IQ; I only sold mine to get a 70-200mm VR solely for the VR function.....

AF, due to the screw-drive system on AF-D lenses, isn't noise-free like AF-S but it's no slouch and it's not like you'll actually notice while you're in the zone, so to speak - you'll notice a difference between it and something like the 70-200 VR but the latter is faster than most people need anyway.

It's a very compact lens for the focal length and although heavy, as all 70/80-200 zooms tend to be (aside from Canon f/4 versions), it just seems to balance right and sit well in the hand. Mine was the one-touch version (with the twist zoom); by all accounts the later AF-S version is supposed to be a corker but it's pricey used and for £150 or so more, you can get a 70-200mm VR. :)

Last edited:
Used my 80-200 af-d (two ring one) just today on D300 - works absolutely fine. Uncle Ken needs to be taken with a bit of a common sense and scepticism if you ask me

Used mine on a D90. Cracking optics and amazing value for money.

Thanks for the replys, that has eased my mind. Now where can i find an 80-200?

There is one for sale in the classifieds I think, or eBay if course.

The one in the classifieds is a push-pull one, so the one before the still-current (if you live outside Europe) two-ring version. Uncle Ken says the former is slow to AF, especially in comparison to the current one. An AF-S version was also made, which focusses even faster.

Personally, go for the two-ring which goes around £500+ secondhand

Its an old lens, but it should work fine. Nice and small ! have you looked at the AFS Version ?

Used my 80-200 af-d (two ring one) just today on D300 - works absolutely fine. Uncle Ken needs to be taken with a bit of a common sense and scepticism if you ask me

And a lot of salt! Seems to me whatever he is using at the time is always better than anything else he has ever reviewed. I guess he gets paid somehow for his reviews so i don't think they worth taking much notice of.

I had the 80-200 D, I think the issue with it on a D300 ( and other bodies too) is that when using it at short distances at 200mm, its not too sharp. I think there is a section in the D300 user manual that explains this.
Other than that, its fine. But, if you can get a used 80-200 af-s, you wont be disappointed. I had one for a while and it was a superb lens and gave the 70-200 VR a very good run for its money. Of course, because of the scarcity and IQ of these lenses, they do command a premium price, if you ever see one for sale. I thought mine also felt more balanced than the 70-200
Allan

Last edited:
I use the push-pull 80-200mm on my D700 as I picked it up very cheap and to be honest I have never had a problem with it, okay the focus is slightly slow, but still fast enough for when I shoot sport. The image quality is also very good, I would never complain about it.

I had the 80-200 D, I think the issue with it on a D300 ( and other bodies too) is that when using it at short distances at 200mm, its not too sharp.

They have a well known issue with lens back/front focussing at a close distances. I used it on my D200 and my was back focusing a few mm. It is razor sharp if you focus it manually. Thankfully on D300 and up it's easily fixable with AF adjustments.

Sure I'd love to have 80-200AFS (not really need any VR) but they do cost more and not really easy to find.

There is an issue with the D300/80-200 combo, which also occurs with the D200. It may well apply to other newer bodies such as the D700, but I don't have access to an 80-200 any more so I can't test the theory.

Basically what happens is the camera starts displaying a small triangle and F6 as the aperture value, regardless of what setting you are using at time. This happens because the camera doesn't recognise the lens and assumes "No lens attached or non-CPU lens attached without specifying maximum aperture."

I experienced this regularly with my old D300/80-200 combo and another of the photographers at Knockhill also had the exact same problem with his own D300/80-200 combo. In my case it only seemed to happen when I was panning and shooting repeated fast bursts of shots.

Fortunately removing the lens and reseating it usually cures the problem, but it can be highly annoying.

Back